Reasonslap
gannon260

Is religion provable?

Reasonslap

Reasonslap

Con

Here is the rules:

Round 1: acceptal
Round 2: Opening arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals, add some new ideas if you wish
Round 4: Rebuttals, no new ideas
Round 5: Closing arguments
gannon260

Pro

I accept, however we must first agree upon a definition of what a religion is and what the constraints of provable are:

My definition of religion since religion comes from the latin root religio which means supernatural occurences is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods"- [1]

provable is "to establish the truth or genuineness of, as by evidence or argument" -[2]

also, is inside of the title of the debate denotes possiblity of, therefore the resolution i choose to interpret is: is there any possibility that a God(s) or other super human entity can be established as truth through evidence or argument

My argument will seek to find evidence of the existence of God(s) and seek to explain that if i am able to support my argument with valid evidence, then i can prove his existence. I believe m opponent will try to destroy my arguments with science based evidence and i look forward to this debate. I will however choose to believe that the voters know that if my claims have an ounce of merit, then i have fulfilled the definition of provable through a minute probability of God(s) existence(s)

[1]http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2]http://dictionary.reference.com...
Reasonslap

Con

Very well, Let's begin. First off, religion is not provable because each religions share a set of ideas which are not applicable in real life. Now, since you are a christian, I will be using evidence against Christianity, but most of what I am about to say applies to most religions, if not all. First off, many religions look down upon gays as immoral humans who turn gay because they hate the supposed god or gods of that particular religion. This is not true. Look at 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor MEN WHO PRACTICE HOMOSEXUALITY, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." (ESV) Or look at Leviticus 20:13 "When a man has sexual intercourse with another man as with a woman, both men are doing something disgusting and must be put to death. They deserve to die." (GOD'S WORD) This is not aright thing to do. Homosexuality is completely fine, as it is by nature, not nurture. Type this in your search bar, www.livescience.com/50058-being-gay-not-a-choice.html, and you will know. Another idea that is enforced is that all unbelievers will either go to eternal damnation, or will be stuck on this earth forever. Christianity enforces that unbelievers will burn in the lake of fire and sulfur when they die or on Judgement Day. If this is true, 7 out of 10 people would be burning in hell, as only 30% of people on this Earth are Christian. The numbers are even greater for other religions. So, wouldn't the god of this universe want to clarify that he/she/it exists? Surely, the suffering cause by religion would not be good for a god, therefore, either A: the god is a massive a-hole, or B: this god is a creation of man. It is extremely likely that the latter of the two is the correct one. Finally,and this one is probably the weakest one, religions contradict each other and themselves. If Jesus loved everyone, who would the gays burn in hell for being gay? If Jesus truly loved us, why would he punish us eternally? If Jesus was the true way, why are the majority of people not followers of him? If God and Jesus were purely moral, why would they order rape, slaughter, and force worship upon us? They would be very insecure in order to need that. Thank you, and I expect a decent opening argument to be up soon. Good luck.
gannon260

Pro

gannon260 forfeited this round.
Reasonslap

Con

I will take that I have won this debate, as Gannon has forfeited round 2. He failed to provide an opening argument. I will still wait for him, but at this moment, I declare that I am the winner.
gannon260

Pro

gannon260 forfeited this round.
Reasonslap

Con

Again, I await Gannon's argument.
gannon260

Pro

hey sorry, they were rerouting internet to my house, switching from xfinity to AT&T, sorry for the inconvenience. I forfeit this match if it was too much trouble for you, however i will present an argument for debate.

firstly, suffering comes from our freedom and our existence, God wanted to create human beings who obeyed him out of free will instead of blind mechanizations where 100% of the species would follow him amid all this suffering to sift out true believers. God does not force "rape, slaughter, or force" upon us but it is forced upon us by other men driven by sin.

Religion is a broader scope aside from a single christian God, it could also be many polythiestic gods who could explain why there is so much immorality allowed on this earth. A supernatural entity that was involved in much of our scientific realm that still baffles scientists is dark matter, and it appears that dark matter could potentially be God. It is afterall worshipped by scientists, studied religiously, and is also incredibly mysterious and unknown. Dark matter has a relatively high amount of gravitational pull on most matter of the universe and could potentially explain most of the biblical events. God works in mysterious ways, but could God also be Dark matter itself? The gravitation forces of dark matter are mysteriously associated with the creations of the universe. This is a potential subreligion that i have created for myself to justify dark matter and christianity to seek evidence and justification.

The mere fact that i was able to present and debate an argument proves that i can in fact support the thesis with evidence or arguments therefore, it is provable in some constraints.

sodom and gomorah, where adulterers were destroyed by falling fire(meteorites) could be explained by the gravitational pull of space junk by this dark matter

http://www.ucg.org...

https://www.biblegateway.com...
Reasonslap

Con

Thank you for responding.

Now, on to your arguments. If our freedom is the source of our suffering, wouldn't a god or gods be the source? Why would a god give us free will, but scare us into a choice? I understand your argument against the monotheistic view I presented, but the majority of the world follows a monotheistic religion, and 30% of people in the world follow some sect of Christianity. If only one religion is right, not to even think about one sect of that religion,why would we be punished for choosing? Tat seems like God/the gods made free will for no choice. We would be just as pious without free will to a religion as we could be WITH free will.

The dark matter thing was interesting,but the flaws of the god/gods are still shown in other parts of religion. Immorality is rampant in many world religions. The only one that seems okay in morals to me is Buddhism, and that even has its flaws (how man can stop doing evil things, even though evil and good are subjective terms).

The sin could be the cause of the problem, but the sin is caused by the god/gods.

Hope you don't have any more internet problems. Good luck man.
gannon260

Pro

gannon260 forfeited this round.
Posted by mfigurski80 2 years ago
mfigurski80
@gannon, would you be interested in repeating this debate? Not now, I'm leaving on vacation and won't have time, but in a week or so?
Posted by gannon260 2 years ago
gannon260
most people on this site are most likely athiests or agnostic because answers of a religious comes from God but answers to others come in the form of evidence and debating topics.
Posted by gannon260 2 years ago
gannon260
also, you can prove a falsehood with true evidence. Such was the case with the reasoning that martians existed because of a very real photograph of a supposed martian face on mars and this "fact" still remains true to many alien lovers.....
Posted by Alpha3141 2 years ago
Alpha3141
Wow, so many people seem to be anti-religion on this site.
Posted by gannon260 2 years ago
gannon260
i agree with you AndyHood, i was about to take this debate on in the form of a claim that science in a way could be a form of a religion, but that would considerably be a stretch in the definition of religion.
Posted by AndyHood 2 years ago
AndyHood
I might take this debate on; I don't accept the ludicrous idea that religion and science are non-overlapping magesteria; unfortunately, though, my issue is with the word "provable"... proofs are for mathematics, logic and whiskies! Science never proves anything... however, it would be possible for religions to be supported by sufficient evidence to justify belief in a deity if there were, in fact, such a thing... for instance, if prayer could be shown in double-blind tests to be effective, that would be a start. Ah, sure, some religions could hide away behind increasingly silly "but God doesn't want to reveal himself" arguments... and *those* religions may design themselves to be inherently untestable... however, most religions DO make testable claims (which they universally fail to support with evidence) - the point remains that some (or most) religions are theoretically "provable", although since I think that they are all false, they'd fail to be supported in practice; ah, I've argued myself out of taking the debate on... you can't prove a falsehood!
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Religion is an unreliable path to the truth. Having beliefs does not improve our knowledge, but rather uses the imagination to give us the certainty we crave.
Religion is neither provable or believable, the larger and more important question is "is religion necessary?".
Posted by Alpha3141 2 years ago
Alpha3141
Itll be fun to watch it play out.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
This is destined to be a metaphysical debate (i.e physics cannot touch the realm of metaphysics; hence we as humans can neither prove nor disprove religion with our current intellect.) Of course, one can always argue that if Jesus does return to the Earth, Christianity would be essentially proven. Of course, this is a pure hypothetical, and it may not slide via definition.

To shape your current standpoint, I'd add "is religion provable by humans?" And then define religion. It'll be interesting to see how this debate turns out, if someone who is generally intelligent accepts this debate.
Vote Placed by mfigurski80 2 years ago
mfigurski80
Reasonslapgannon260Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO forfeited, so CON gets conduct Spelling was roughly equal on both sides I personally found both sets of arguments weak, but CON actually rebutted. And Con used sources.