FocusV
Dr.Maniac

Is religion the basis of morality?

FocusV
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

FocusV

Con

As a Christian, it upsets me that many argue that God exists by saying that he has to for morality to exist. Though this may be the case, it is not confirmed, nor can it be confirmed.
I will be arguing against the notion that religion is the basis for morality.

My opening argument will explain that morality is relative.

Many different cultures, whether religious or not, have different morals. I know many nonreligious people who support abortion, for example. Their opinions couldn't have come from a religion, because they do not practice a religion.

Another reason I believe this is the law that punishes those who murder. Though yes, the Bible and many other holy texts will condemn murder: "You shalt not murder." Exodus 20:13

But murder in itself most likely was regarded as wrong due to the fact that no-one wants to die. You wouldn't want to be killed, so why allow it?
Also, if murder were legal, it would be much harder to maintain a civilization and to have fair democracy or competition.

Feel free to refute this argument. I am excited to see what people say.
Dr.Maniac

Pro

God formed and made morality so that humans can live by his rules, so that they can pray to him, bathe him, have good values, etc. But, if god is gone, humans will give up on morality. War and Chaos will be upon the earth, because god is not there for us. God made morality, so if he is gone, than so is morality. Religion is based on gods, who made morality Either we stay with god, and have access to sanity, and worship him, or lose morality forever, no matter what religion you worship.
FocusV

Con

Hello and thank you for accepting this debate.

I will kindly ask voters to vote for whoever has the best arguments, not who they agreed with first.

My stance revolves around the assumption that morality is relative to the person and the people living in its society. In order to prove that morality can exist without God, assuming the people know both good and evil. My example:

A community exists on a remote island existing outside of the world we live today, no internet or exposure to religion of any kind. The leader of this community is a man who is soon to die, so he births a son. Not long after, an envious man murders the son. The leader of the community greaves. After this event the murderer is executed and the community agrees that murder should not be practiced for the sake of everyone else. (Keep in mind I am oversimplifying drastically) This is the same for other things we consider crimes like robbery and assault. However the community allows things we may consider bad, like abortion or torture. A community can make its own morals without religion.

What do you think the source is? Of course God created both good and evil through the apple tree, but if we previously knew and had no exposure to religion, there would be morals.

What I'm saying is that morality as an abstract concept does not require a God in order to exist, assuming they already know good and evil.

-FocusV Vote Con
Dr.Maniac

Pro

Dear FocusV, even though different religions host different morals, they are all because of god, correct?? He motioned for Indians - do not eat beef, for cows are sacred animals. Since god is what a religion is based upon, this is how that religion is indeed the basis of morality, or morals, because god created morals. And since a god hosts a religion, morals are based on religion.

Sincerely,

Dr. Maniac
Posted by Dr.Maniac 2 weeks ago
Dr.Maniac
Who said I believed what I said? By the time I realized that FocusV, was con, I had to go ahead.
Posted by distraff 2 weeks ago
distraff
My mistake. I didn't even think FocusV did a good job but you didn't even debate and only told everyone what you believe. I would win a debate by simply stating that you are assuming God created morality and that morality even exists and that you aren't even debating.
Posted by Dr.Maniac 2 weeks ago
Dr.Maniac
I am Hindu, and I accepted the debate just for fun, distraff, if you want a real debate, come on, I will challenge you to one.

Sincerely,

Dr. Maniac
Posted by distraff 2 weeks ago
distraff
I am a bit curious why Dr. Maniac assumes the Christian God who is by definition religious created morality in a debate questioning whether religion is the basis of morality. No evidence for Christianity or God is presented. Also no bible verse showing God made morality instead of just following it is presented. Very disappointing. The arguments from Pro sounded more like a declaration of belief in the debate position rather than actual arguments.
Posted by Dr.Maniac 2 weeks ago
Dr.Maniac
FocusV, this will be a very exciting debate indeed... can not wait to see who will win!!

Sincerely,
Dr. Maniac
Posted by KwLm 2 weeks ago
KwLm
The debate is quite clear, A lot of theists say to atheists, without God there is no morality. But that is simply not the case, without society there would be no morality.
Posted by stacihammock 2 weeks ago
stacihammock
This debate is confusing
Posted by vi_spex 2 weeks ago
vi_spex
my screen is made of water apparently
Posted by FocusV 2 weeks ago
FocusV
Well then feel free to spread your opinion, you can accept the debate you know.
Posted by vi_spex 2 weeks ago
vi_spex
its like saying wet is dry, what is wet then
Vote Placed by distraff 2 weeks ago
distraff
FocusVDr.ManiacTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro assumes in his arguments that God made morality and only explain why he thinks God made it in R1 and only explains why religion is based on morality in R2 based on this assumption. Since God and religion are almost synonymous (especially Christianity which both assume to be true) this is basically circular reasoning. Pro never actually debates or responds to Con and only assumes God created morality. Con never points out these assumptions and assumes that since some people decide not to follow some morals and to follow others that there must be no objective morality. People can ignore the rules of math all day but that doesn't make math subjective. But at least con tried to argue and convince so I believe con to be the winner.