arundeep
moshe

Is revenge understandable or not?

arundeep

Pro

I personally think that revenge is understandable. I feel this because the actions that may influence it are mean and hurtful. And yes, I am also saying that the peace activists that protest against it are wrong. Allow me to demonstrate. After reading this post, close your eyes and imagine the following: You are back in high school (if you ARE in high school, ignore this) and you see the person you hold a deep grudge against due to any reason such as being more popular than you (you really don't have to hold a grudge). He walks up to you and for no reason, spits at your face, laughing and saying, "You suck" and then you wake up and realize it was just a dream. But nevertheless, you feel a negativity toward the person when you meet him for real next time, even if he is polite. Now, this is the amount of negativity you feel when you just imagine this. Imagine the negativity you'll feel when or if this really happens to you. You will want to channel this negative energy toward harming the person and this is the easiest direction to channel it to. And I have heard a lot of advice to channel it to other activities such as music or sports. This may improve your skill in that area but the negative feeling toward that person does not just go away. It remains until revenge is taken. Peace is achieved. Peace, when achieved through revenge is rapid and effective. This is my argument. What is yours?
moshe

Con

The statement that is under contention is whether or not revenge is understandable.
There are a number of issues that need to be clarified before this debate can truly begin.
First of all Pro must clearly define revenge, what kind of actions and against what kinds of offences.
Secondly understandable is rather ambiguous. Is the question whether the psychological reasons for undertaking vengeance are understood, or is the point of contention whether or not revenge is a morally acceptable.
As Pro didn't define revenge I will argue on the following definition:
"To inflict punishment in return for (injury or insult)."

If "understandable" was meant in the psychological analysis sense then I concede the debate seeing as revenge is entwined into the fabric of human society it would be unreasonable to aim that most humans are insane and incomprehensible.
however if understandable was meant in the sense that it is morally/socially acceptable then my counter argument goes as follows:

There are three points that are detrimental to accepting Pros position:

Firstly, if revenge is allowed than petty arguments and trivial disagreements may escalate rapidly into a bloodbath. Pros argument that peace will be achieved by swift revenge, fails to take escalation into account.

Secondly, there is the moral issue as to whether or not it is acceptable to harm someone on the basis that they harmed you. according to religious morality any harm that comes to man is a sign from god and therefore there isn't a reason to take offence from the one delivering the sign, and according to secular morality it makes no sense to create more suffering in the world merely because you suffered.

Lastly there is the issue of the breakdown of law and order, modern society doesn't abide by taking the law into ones hands. any dispute between two parties is resolved by the courts and that is that.

[1]http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
arundeep

Pro

arundeep forfeited this round.
moshe

Con

moshe forfeited this round.
arundeep

Pro

arundeep forfeited this round.