This_One_Chick
DrZoidberg

Is same sex marriage wrong? Who is it hurting?

This_One_Chick

Pro

So, I want to see how everyone else feels about same sex marriage. I'm fine with it. I mean who are we to decide if two human beings should or shouldn't be married? Who are we to judge? If god loves all his children why is he giving these people trouble? If god created everyone, why would he say homosexuality is wrong? Who does this hurt? Who are we to deny humans their basic rights to happiness?
DrZoidberg

Con

In this debate, I am going to speak from the perspective of the Church, not an individual congregation, but the Church as a single, unified body. Same-sex marriage is wrong because the Bible explicitly states it as wrong many times. Since as a whole, the Church must abide by the teachings of God, it must also oppose same-sex marriage. Under the First Amendment (Separation of Church and State), I believe same-sex marriage should not be legalized in the United States. This may sound backwards, but makes since given some history. The term "Marriage" has been used by the Catholic Church for at least 800 years, much longer than the existence of the United States, therefore, it is a construct of the Church. As a construct of the Church, Marriage should not be regulated or infringed upon by the Government. The fact that Marriage is a construct of the church is evident even in the very language of many of its affiliated documents. Marriage licenses use the language "Holy Matrimony". What is our Government doing sticking its nose in anything deemed to be "Holy"? I understand that people in the United States also have a right to be homosexual, and I am not opposed to homosexuality. I am opposed to our Government forcing an institution that is protected by the Constitution to change its beliefs. I believe a good solution to many of these debates taking place in the United States presently is to establish a system of "Civil Unions".

Under the Civil Union system, all couples, regardless of configuration, male-male, female-female, and male-female, who wish to enjoy legal recognition and certain incentives, would engage in a "Civil Union". Those couples who were in compliance with the Church's stance on Marriage could also engage in a Marriage, supplementary to their Civil Union. These Marriages would be largely symbolic, as they would hold no legal power. This system would allow everyone equal rights and protection under the law, but would also allow the Church to reign over its own construct, retain its freedom from the state, and allow Christians to engage in marriage as ordained by God.
This_One_Chick

Pro

This_One_Chick forfeited this round.
DrZoidberg

Con

DrZoidberg forfeited this round.
This_One_Chick

Pro

This_One_Chick forfeited this round.
DrZoidberg

Con

DrZoidberg forfeited this round.