bonnieeagle
WhoWouldnt

Is school truly even needed?

WhoWouldnt

bonnieeagle

Pro

Do you think school is truly needed or important? School is needed and important because without school most student's will just sell drugs and not care about their lifestyle or their family. School is important to students because if they want to have a future then they need to have some type of education. Some people think that school isn't important or truly needed, because the student's think they can go to college without an education but in reality you do need to have some education to go to college. For example, their can be students who will run and sell drugs but think they can go to college. School is important because in order to have to job you have to have some school education. Most people argue that they like the GED better than school because the GED can get you out of school faster then being in school. Anyone can go to college with a GED or a high school diploma, with a high school diploma you can have a way better job than a job with a GED. School is the most important thing for student's because it can get you further then anything. When student's go to high school they can get their gpa up to where they want to get it. School is important because it can help student's get more education and can help from staying off the streets. Eariler in my essay I stated that student's will sell drugs either way student's will sell drugs anyways, they will worry their parents and family.
WhoWouldnt

Con

Challenge Accepted.

First things first: by school I'm assuming you mean some type of FORMAL education when you say "some type of education" including, but not limited to: homeschooling, online schooling, public schools, private schools, montessori schools, etc...

Also, if the goal is to get to college or skills satisfactory to being a productive member of society (which I think is the implication here) then my job is to argue whether or not this is possible without formalized education.

I would also like to point out that the way the education has purposely been set is to provide the best quality to prepare young people (ideally) for both the goals stated above (to get to college and being a productive member of society). By making this distinction, I'm pointing out that schools are meant to meet this need currently in our society. So, to be clear, on the con side, I'm not arguing against schools being helpful (because they definitely can be). I'm arguing the original question (is school truly needed?) and I'll argue against that on two fronts: First, I will provide (in rounds 2 and 3) an arguement that It is possible to be successful in life (may or may not include college) without ANY formal education and if we were to scrap the current system (including simple G.E.D. testing) that another system could be more successful, in other words, school in its current form is not truly needed.
bonnieeagle

Pro

bonnieeagle forfeited this round.
WhoWouldnt

Con

http://www.businessinsider.com...

The link above is an article from Business Insider about several wildly successful people who didn't complete high school and went on to make companies worth hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. It is not the only article either, there are many about people who didn't finish high school and even more about those who didn't finish college and went on to live successful lives. So if school is truly needed, why can some people drop out before the age of 16 (roughly sophomore year and below) and go on to be productive, intelligent members of society?

Since my opponent decided not to post for the second round I will keep this short as I do not need to respond to any of their points. My brother-in-law dropped out of school before he even went to high school (about 13 years old). One would hardly say that the school system has had a chance to educate him fully. He currently runs his own painting business to provide for his family. He found ways to educate himself to the point of running his own business (including budgeting, roles and responsibilities, employee health, the law as it pertains to his business). He is clearly educated to a point of success and it didn't come from a formal education.

Again, to be clear with the distinction I made in Round 1, formal education can allow a person to be successful, but the current formal education system doesn't necessarily make a person successful. The NEED of school is one that allows opportunity to any individual to acquire knowledge. In the case of my opponent (since I do not have their full argument), I would say that because of the variety in which an education may be obtained (home schooling, online, face-to-face, video conferencing, blended learning, etc...), it is clear that what matters is the education and not necessarily the method by which it is delivered.
bonnieeagle

Pro

bonnieeagle forfeited this round.
WhoWouldnt

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for the topic and since there are not points to respond to, I will leave it at that.
Posted by WhoWouldnt 2 years ago
WhoWouldnt
Since my opponent has not posted any points during the round I do not think I have any reason to post anything else.
Posted by Capella 2 years ago
Capella
Absolutely more schooling is needed.
If you want to have a job washing floors, pushing Wal-mart shopping carts from the parking lot or flipping hamburgers, (jobs that don't have a jail sentence attached), you will be fine with making grammatical errors such as "student's" as the plural form of "students" or "their" for "there." But if you want to succeed in a legitimate business, you will have to be able to write a flawless business letter, debate topic, or convincing speech.
Even more challenging is learning critical thinking. This cannot be taught directly; it has to be learned over a long period of time with practice in problem-solving over many disciplines, both the humanities and the sciences. A good education is a priceless investment in yourself. Most people know this; that is why student loan debt in the US now nearly equals credit-card debt.
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
If I had a dollar for every time this topic was done I would be a friggin millionaire.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
bonnieeagleWhoWouldntTied
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 2 years ago
Ameliamk1
bonnieeagleWhoWouldntTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.