jihan_kim
Blessed-Cheese-Maker

Is school uniform more beneficial for students?

Con Tied Pro

jihan_kim

Con

The reason that I oppose the school unifrom the most is that it can limit the students' individuality and freedom of expression. Also, even though many people say that school uniforms save the money, it's actually not as parents need to buy additional clothes for students as they need something to wear outside school. And this can cause even bigger financiial burden to the students and their families. Also, even though wearing school uniforms may show equality and unity, there are still many chances to show the differences via accessories like the shoes or the necklaces. As a result, wearing school uniforms will bring more bad points than good points even though there are also some good points of the school uniforms.
Blessed-Cheese-Maker

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for this interesting topic.

School uniforms have been used traditionally in western education to help parents and teachers prepare their students for the education process. A school uniform can help provide a sense of identity and often prepares a student for the school day mentally. My opponent suggests that clothing is capable of limiting expression and individuality. I concur that this is true, but in fashion only. True expression and individuality is found in all aspects in life. Students express themselves in art class, in sporting events and even in school work itself. (Written papers etc..)

Individuality and expression in fashion simply adjust to shoes, jewelry and accessories; it isn't limited completely by uniforms.

The cost of school uniforms, always results in a cost savings for the parents primarily because after school clothing needn't be as plentiful, if a majority of time is spent in a uniform. The real prohibitive cost to not having uniforms is exposed in fashion itself. In the USA, children in school are not required to wear uniforms. As a result the children of wealthy parents wear expensive, name brand clothing. It is not odd for children at my kid's school to wear $120 shoes, $100 jeans, $59 shirts and $70 sweaters/hoodies. A $349 outfit is unrealistic for children whose parents work labor jobs, and cannot afford them. The result is that a lack of school uniforms tends to increase the disparity in social class, which is typically harmful for all kids, rich and poor alike.

School uniforms also prepare a child for a day of learning. When a child is more concerned about showing off their new 50Cent t-shirt, or Calvin Kline Jeans or Air Jordon sneakers, than about leaning geology or algebra, the child, and all those interested in the outfit are at a disadvantage. School uniforms take this distraction out of play.

Finally School uniforms can help to build school pride. When a child is dressed the same as all other kids in the school, it is possible for that child to feel a sense of inclusion. Of course this doesn't occur in every case, but there is no denying the sense of unity and inclusion that occurs when people are dressed the same. That is why sporting teams sell copies of their uniforms to the public, who wear them to games, and enjoy sharing in a common goal.

I promote that school uniforms provide far more benefits for children, parents and educators, than non uniform rules can offer.
jihan_kim

Con

Well, I thank my opponent that made me to think about the topic more carefully....

My opponent said that expression in fashion can simply adjust to shoes or other accessories not only the clothes... However, many people notify the clothes the most when they see other people as it takes the most capacity than other accessories. Even though the student is wearing a really good jewelries or shoes, the student might still feel the feeling of lackness about their expression. I'm also a junior high school student in South Korea and I also feel this kind of feeling.

My opponent also said that the school uniforms also prepare a child for a day of learning. And my opponent also said that without school uniforms students might be distracted by thinking about fashions. But how about thinking it reversely? The students might be uncomfortable as they don't wear the clothes that they want which is a distraction for the students. In contrast, if the students are able to wear the clothes that they want and be comfortable this will lead to mental stablization. And I believe that this can be a way to study harder.

The opponent also said about possible economic burden on poor students by buying the fasionable clothes will be even bigger. However, the students usually do not wear the clothes outside the school. Therefore, students will buy seperate clothes for out-school life. So it means that the students have to spend the money on fashionable clothes that the opponent said plus the school uniform which can be a double plrice. Furthermore, the school uniforms are usually more expensive than other normal clothes even though they in similar shape as they contain the school logo and represents the school. So I believe that wearing school uniforms will be a bigger economic burden.

And for the points that the opposing team mentioned about unity that school unform can make, I want to ask (it's not a purpose of criticizing or those things but I want to listen to the opponent's opinion.) the opponents what the feeling of inclusion can bring postively to students.
Blessed-Cheese-Maker

Pro

Fashion:

I concede that children may feel like their sense of expression is dulled by their inability to wear what they want. However, I believe it is important to focus on the true goal of Schooling. School is for education and learning, the social interaction and expression that results from children being around one another is secondary. I submit that fashionable expression reduces the primary focus of school, which isn't beneficial to children.

We can take dance as another form of expression, and make the argument that break dancing in class should be allowed because it allows kids who like to break dance to feel good about fully expressing themselves. "I can do the Dolphin and head spin, but don't know why the Japanese and Chinese don't get along" The same reasoning can be applied to fashion. In my son's class there are constant distractions by kids talking about each others sneakers and why Billy the Bong is wearing a Slayer T-shirt with holes in it..... its simply distracting to the objective of learning.

Economic Burden:

When I was a child, I attended school in Australia. I wore uniforms. The I changed when I was going to play in the dirt and my Mum didn't want me ruining my school clothes. As a result my 3-4 uniforms lasted most of the year, depending on growth. Today, my own children aren't required to wear uniforms and wear the same outfit all day. As a result, they typically end up ruining their clothes allot quicker than I did. I purchase Jeans and shirts far more frequently than my parents did, because the clothes get more consistent and rough use.

I cannot talk to the cost of School uniforms in South Korea, they must be nice if they are more expensive than traditional clothes. Here in the US, private school uniforms are cheaper than the name brand clothing my children require in order to 'feel' up to date with their classmates.

Inclusion:

Feelings of inclusion are important to kids because it gives them a sense of community. When you are in school and see different people from different backgrounds and upbringing, perhaps even different races, and then can feel a sense of community and inclusion with them all, it teaches the child that we are all humans irregardless of our differences. Uniforms can help this in a small way, because of the sense of unity that they create.

Finally I would like to re address my opponents contention, that not being able to freely wear certain clothing can hurt a child's mental state. In this I agree that it is possible for a child to feel this way, but argue that it is far more important for a child to learn that what you wear doesn't define who you are. Uniforms help strip away, class, wealth, and differences that traditionally plague society and especially middle school children. They help kids learn that poor kids and rich kids are all kids with important forms of expression.
jihan_kim

Con

jihan_kim forfeited this round.
Blessed-Cheese-Maker

Pro

Unfortunately it appears as if my opponent is busy clothes shopping.

It was a fun debate otherwise. I wish my opponent the best in the future and encourage her to keep debating and learning and growing.
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro had the better arguments. The purpose of education is education, not freedom of expression. Con lost Spelling & Grammar, obviously, and also Conduct by forfeiting.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Lolno.

I was referring to the resolution.

"Is school uniform more"
Posted by Blessed-Cheese-Maker 8 years ago
Blessed-Cheese-Maker
s0m31john, is you talking to me?
Posted by jihan_kim 8 years ago
jihan_kim
I don't mean that there should be a regulation, statute or laws.......... to prohibit the school uniforms. Instead, I only mean that schools have to provide students freedom about their clothes.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Rarely is the question asked, IS our children learning?
Posted by robert.fischer 8 years ago
robert.fischer
Are you arguing that there ought to be a regulation, statute, or law that prohibits school uniforms?
Vote Placed by TFranklin62 8 years ago
TFranklin62
jihan_kimBlessed-Cheese-MakerTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
jihan_kimBlessed-Cheese-MakerTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
jihan_kimBlessed-Cheese-MakerTied
Vote Placed by Blessed-Cheese-Maker 8 years ago
Blessed-Cheese-Maker
jihan_kimBlessed-Cheese-MakerTied