Addy44
God_is_awesome

Is sexual orientation a choice?

Addy44

Addy44

Con

Sexual orientation is not a choice.
You cannot control it. It is intrinsically in you, and you fall in love with whoever you fall in love with.

I'd like to start off by giving you the definition of "sexual orientation." The dictionary definition is, "one's natural preference in sexual partners; predilection for homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality." (This definition can be found here: http://dictionary.reference.com...)
This definition is not exactly how I personally would define sexual orientation, but it is essentially accurate. Is is one's natural preference. I would like to put the emphasis on natural. Not forced. Not chosen. Natural. The dictionary definition does not imply that you can choose your sexual orientation.

Now I'd like to give you real-world proof that sexual orientation is not a choice. This is one of my personal experiences.
When I was in middle school, I had a "crush" on my best friend. She was a girl. I didn't want to feel this way, but I couldn't help it. I was still attracted to her. I couldn't suppress the feeling. Eventually these feelings went away. We were still friends, but I wasn't physically attracted to her anymore. I was so relieved that those feelings had passed. Isn't that proof that I didn't choose to be attracted to her?

Now I want to quickly touch on the difference between choosing your sexual orientation and choosing to identify with that label.
For example, I identify as pansexual. I didn't necessarily choose to be pansexual, but I choose to identify with that label.
A lesbian doesn't choose to be lesbian, but she chooses to identify as one.
Heterosexuals didn't choose to be attracted to the opposite gender, but they choose to identify as heterosexual.
I hope I have made this difference clear.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about you.
Did you choose who you wanted love? Did you choose your sexual orientation? If you answered no to either of those questions, you are proof that no one can choose their sexual orientation.
God_is_awesome

Pro

I have not been in love. Also I choose to be straight. It is suppose to be a man and woman. Not man and man or woman and woman. These homosexual couples that want kids, well they need to realize that if they want to be a parent it is time to go find someone of the opposite sex. Kids need a mom and dad. Say two men adopt a kid, when they do mothers day crafts what do they do? " Oh sorry I only have two dads". Then that kid is going to be all sad cause they did not get to participate in the craft. And plus guys even if they are gay look at girl and are like " oh i would tap that". and vise versa. Look at Ellen DeGeneres she admits guys are hot. Plus read you're bible.
Addy44

Con

I am going to use this round to challenge or disprove my opponent's arguments.

"It is suppose to be a man and a woman."
First of all, it should be "supposed," not "suppose." Secondly, it is not supposed to be anything. There is no right sexual orientation. They are all acceptable and respectable. What makes you say everyone should be heterosexual?

"Kids need a mom and a dad."
No, they don't. While it is true that children need parents or guardians (or one parent or guardian), they do not need to have a mother and a father. Yes, they need a biological mother and a biological father, but they do not need to be raised by a man and a woman. Some children have two mothers, some have two fathers, but they're still good children who have what they need. Children with homosexual parents still have what they need to live if their parents are good people who earn a living.
Also, some children are only raised by one person. If one of their parents died while they were very young, they would only have one parent to raise them. They don't have both a mother and a father.
Now I would like to point out that a mother and a father to raise you is not a basic human need. The basic human needs are water, food, and shelter. Clearly children can live without both a mother and a father.

"Plus read you're bible."
It would be "your," not "you're."
I did look up Bible verses mentioning homosexuality, and the only ones I found (Leviticus 18:22 and Leviticus 20:13) were in the Old Testament. People had a very different way of living back then, and their way of life doesn't necessarily apply to people of our time.
I'd also like to say that using the Bible to prove that homosexuality is wrong doesn't make sense. You are forcing your religion onto others, and you don't know what the higher power would think or say about homosexuality.

I have two things to say to my opponent.
One, check your grammar, punctuation, et cetera.
Two, your argument mostly stated that homosexuality is wrong, not that you choose your sexuality. Please try to stay with the topic of the debate.
God_is_awesome

Pro

God_is_awesome forfeited this round.
Addy44

Con

My opponent has forfeited, so all I have to say is my conclusion.

I think, from my argument in Round 1, you can see that sexual orientation is not a choice in any way. There are many things that prove this, even the dictionary definition of "sexual orientation," so I don't see how you can say it is a choice.
You clearly cannot control it.

Thank you for your time.

Please vote Con!
God_is_awesome

Pro

God_is_awesome forfeited this round.
Posted by Addy44 1 year ago
Addy44
Yeah, I understand that, ImaRealMeanie.

FTF and MTM stand for female to female and male to male. They describe someone who is intersex.
Posted by ImaRealMeanie 1 year ago
ImaRealMeanie
Addy44, I was simply saying the I'm on pro's side of the argument. However, I'll be voting for you since you actually tried to argue something rather than be incompetent in debating. I did not say I disliked you.

But still though, what does FTF and MTM mean? I've tried looking it up, and I haven't found anything.
Posted by Sarah314 1 year ago
Sarah314
Can't wait to vote on this one!
Posted by Addy44 1 year ago
Addy44
ImaRealMeanie, do you not like me or something? You seem to want me to lose all my debates.

PS: rnjs, in my opinion it's not okay to have sex with children. Children shouldn't be having sex. I didn't address this in the debate because it would have been off-topic. However, that is my personal opinion.
Posted by ImaRealMeanie 1 year ago
ImaRealMeanie
Wish you best of luck, pro. Still though, learn how to debate.
Posted by squonk 1 year ago
squonk
1 Corinthians 6:9 - "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men."
Posted by rnjs 1 year ago
rnjs
So if a persons natural preference is to have sex with children,is that O.K.?
Posted by kkjnay 1 year ago
kkjnay
Remember that choosing to have sex with someone is different than sexual orientation Con, and I wish you luck in your debate.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Addy44God_is_awesomeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Addy44God_is_awesomeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture