jjhotgun
chainmachine

Is space mining worth it???

jjhotgun

Pro

Space will be the only place left for industrial growth in a pretty short time. With those asteroids rich with minerals just floating out in space !!! And in the process of mining these asteroids, we would develop many new an useful technologies! There are no limits to what we could do!! Why Not.
chainmachine

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this argument.

I. There is a huge part of the world that is not developed, Africa and Asia are two prime examples. Also you say industrial growth will run out soon, where did you get this fact? Yes maybe in a few hundred years but not in the present. Also, its not like we can setup factories etc. on asteroids. That would be very silly.

II. The amount of money needed to invest in asteroid mining will far out way the profits. With only a few spaceships up in space right now, we would need thousands to actually mine a significant amount of minerals. Not to mention paying people to maintain it, mining supplies. No one country could accomplish it especially with the recession. It would be a multi trillion dollar project to only get around 100 billion out of it.

III. What tech would we develop? It is not like asteroids have sentient knowledge of the universe, so how will they teach us new tech?

IV. Your aware that even with a few thousand mining projects in space it will still produce much less than the much cheaper process of mining on earth.

CONCLUSION
I see no need to invest trillions to simply gain only a few billion dollars worth of minerals. Not to mention the hazards of managing an operation of this scale. Repairs, paying crews, electric hazards. Simply not the right time to commit to this. Lets focus on earth first.
jjhotgun

Pro

It's always nice to have a polite and good opponent.

1. Even though many areas are undeveloped, it doesn't mean that resources aren't running out. Look the Arabians. Does their under development prevent them from extracting oil? And how long would it be until Asia and Africa become developed? I have no love for China, but it has been said that Chinese domination is just around the corner. And what happens when resources run low or out? All industry goes down the toilet. so in a way, the continues import of resources from asteroids wold keep industry going.

2. I didn't say that it would include just one country, that it wouldn't be expensive, or that it would succeed the first time. I admit, we do have a long way to go. But we have toward that objective for several reasons.
A. You are forgetting that our technologies are always improving, so with each improvement, fewer ship have to sent out.
B. Your are also forgetting that as resources get rarer, they get more expensive. It would be worth 100 billion if it was sold in today's, but with rising prices, it could be worth twice the cost.
C. There are no countries that could afford it alone, but few thing are beyond the reach of an international effort.

3. If you had read my article, I wrote "we would develop." When it comes to tech, it's 'see a new, fill a need.

4. I am aware that with a few thousand mining projects in space,earth would be cheaper. But the Q is what happens when Earth it completely depleted? If we wait too long, their would be no more worries about money. It'll be more like "Hmm, who starves first???"

5. Managing an operation of this scale would be no different that running a very large and impotent company. And you probably think that their would be swarms of men with jack hammers, but your quite wrong. In fact, each operation would only require a small group of techies to run the machines! It would be very rare for anyone to actually leave the mining craft. Also, I didn't set a timeline, or that it would be an instantaneous occurrence. It should be a continuous process, a gradual approach toward space so that when need be, we would be ready. We should not only focus on Earth; we should be aware of everything around us and the opportunities they present.
chainmachine

Con

chainmachine forfeited this round.
jjhotgun

Pro

Doesn't anyone dream of going to space and living a dream? Doesn't anyone want to be able to fly in space and then arrive in a new and unpopulated planet?
chainmachine

Con

chainmachine forfeited this round.
Posted by jjhotgun 3 years ago
jjhotgun
I am interested in creating an interesting topic.
Posted by chainmachine 4 years ago
chainmachine
Wow excellent response! I am not being sarcastic I am working on a my retort right now lol.
Posted by troyamonga 4 years ago
troyamonga
Damn. You had me excited to debate for space. Then I saw you were Pro...