llama212
wildcard173

Is spanking your children the right way to punish them?

llama212

Con

I am standing against spanking children. I truly do not believe it works not in the way it should, you should never rule your children by fear alone that only breeds contempt in them towards you and makes them to afraid to come to you when they are having problems out of fear for getting hurt for their actions. I was spanked as a child and all it did was make my life harder, I couldn't go to either of my parents (they were divorced) with any problems I was having in school because I was to afraid I would get spanked. Which only led me to lie to my parents about how I was doing in school which ended up with me getting spanked anyway when they found out. My dad was the main one doing the discipline, which made things quite hard for me being his son because I could not go to him and talk to him about stuff because I was to scared. Spanking a child is not the way anyone should punish kids it is barbaric and useless. The way to do things should be to ground children and take away something from them they want or need like a phone or computer privileges or toys, while also at the same time rewarding them for doing good. When I was young I had problems at school so my teacher sat down with my mum and they set up a calendar for me that if I made it a month without getting in trouble I would get a new game for my Nintendo. That month I didn't get in trouble once. Kids do have to learn that they won't always get rewarded for doing what needs to be done but it is much better and gets better results to do this rather than spanking your child.
wildcard173

Pro

I accept this debate. Since my opponent has offered a personal story and an argument I will offer one as well.

I was spanked as a child. I never distrusted my parents for it. I knew that if I did something wrong then I was going to have to be punished for it. The spankings themselves weren't performed after I was 4 years old or so, so I really don't have many memories. The few memories of being spanked I do have don't include the memory of any pain. The point is that I understood that it was a form of punishment. I wasn't abused; I was put into place. As I grew older I other forms of punishment, such as grounding, became the norm.

I think that the important thing to remember is that the point of spanking is not to hurt the child. It is a form of physical punishment that is intended to let the child know that whatever s/he did wrong is not acceptable. Not to compare a child to a dog, but this is form of punishment is similar to correcting a dog. It's unacceptable to really hit or kick a dog, in my oppinion, to the point where it hurts the dog, but a quick and fairly light smack on the nose let's the dog know that s/he did something wrong. The dog feels bad about doing the deed, but doesn't feel pain or have fear due to the smack on the nose. There doesn't need to be pain. It's a simple physical action that states its purpose without being abusive.

In all reality I'm glad my parents DID spank me. I would much rather be brought up in a negative reinforcement system than a positive reinforcement system because in life we aren't always rewarded for our good deeds and I think it's important for children to learn that the right thing should be done just because it's the right thing and not for a reward. I feel as though I owe my morals to the way I was raised and up until the age of four that included spanking.

My opponent said that he would lie to his father to get out of a spanking. Well, I suppose there is an age where spanking needs to become a bit more frowned upon and also the harshness of the spanking should be taken into consideration, but for a young child to get a swift smack on the butt (and one that doesn't leave a mark) I don't see why it should be looked down on. Furthermore, I would tactfully like to point out that lying to get out of a punishment would have been an extremely unacceptible offense for me. Spanking in my childhood was nothing more than a quick, "what do you think you're doing?" It wasn't used for more serious offenses, such as lying. That would be time out/grounding area.

In summation, spanking, when used properly, is nothing more than a small tool in a parent's arsenal to correct misbehavior in a completely rational and humane way. Although taking things to the extreme do happen, I would have to say that those "spankings" would be closer to abuse than a spanking. All a spanking needs to be is a physical way to tell a child "no," not an abusive or overly aggressive beating, which is obviously unacceptible.
llama212

Con

llama212 forfeited this round.
wildcard173

Pro

I suppose this is over.
llama212

Con

llama212 forfeited this round.
wildcard173

Pro

Please vote! Thank you!