NateDawgDebates
IzmoMI

Is standardized testing helpful or harmful?

NateDawgDebates has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

NateDawgDebates

Con

Many students across the United States suffer each year from standardized testing. There are benefits to it but do they outweigh the cons?
IzmoMI

Pro

For the purposes of this round, I will be considering standardized testing in high school as my opponent was not clear about the specific context he had in mind.

I will start by stating the obvious: standardized testing allows all students throughout a country to be evaluated the same way. Thus, universities are able to fairly evaluate students' skills and compare them to their peers. Without such a possibility, many students would be at a disadvantage.

Indeed, suppose universities did not consider the quality of the education provided in the applicant's former high school. In this case, students with average scores in a very demanding school will be undervalued compared to students with high scores in a low demanding school because their grade will be lower, even though they may have the same skills.

On the other hand, suppose universities did consider the quality of the education provided in the applicant's former high school. In this case, a mediocre student in an excellent high school will be overvalued compared to a student with excellent scores in a mediocre high school.

The extent to which universities take the quality of students' schools into account when going through applications largely depends on the educational system considered. However, in any case, without standardized testing, students will be trapped in this game of double jeopardy. Thus, standardized testing is a necessity.

Before going any further into detail, I would like to allow my opponent to respond so he may examine the question at hand and direct the debate the way he originally imagined it.
Posted by What50 1 year ago
What50
Only the blacks fail the test more often. Join ABM for more information.
Posted by zach16williams 1 year ago
zach16williams
I agree. As an eighth grader in an Algebra I class I haven't gotten better than an 85 on a test or quiz this year because I always freeze up. We have PARCC and Finals soon and I am scared straight.