Is suicide an act of selfishness or cowardice?

Suicide is a touchy subject, and my opinion is most likely an uncommon one. However, i feel like it needs to be addressed. Is suicide an act of selfishness or cowardice? I believe suicide is driven by selfishness. People consider their lives so miserable and not worth living, and it drives them to the "only option out", suicide. This, I believe is where the problem lies. Suicide isn't the only option, I can think of 20 other options off the top of my head. People contemplating suicide think of ending their life, their pain, their suffering. what about the pain everyone else will go through? what about the family and friends you leave behind. Why is it that you should end your suffering, only to be replaced by theirs? Why take the easiest way out, when you could get help and experience all that life has to offer? Yes, I am aware that my opinion has many counteracting arguments. Such as "Suicide is not "the easiest way out" or "but what if there is no one left behind that matters?" Let me tell you, If you are willing to take your own life rather than getting some help, it must seem like the easiest way. And don't you dare say no one will be left behind that cares about you. Allow me to tell you a story.
A man saved up a portion of his pension every week and bought the same red flowers every Saturday. He drove 2 hours each Saturday to the Cemetery. He took with him nothing but those flowers and a note. The note read "I don't know why I am even writing this, its not like anyone cares about me anyway." The note was a suicide note. The man was his father. The man sat at his grave with flowers and told him how much he missed his son, each saturday, for the rest of his life. Even when it appears you have no one, there are always people left who care. Think about them too.

Suicide is not an act of selfishness it is an act of cowardice and this is proven because people who do suicide or are suicidal do this because they are scared of something whether it be bullies tell them that no one likes them and they are afraid of people disliking them or if someone hurt them they are scared of being broken again. Most people who choose to die by suicide are actually trying to escape the things that they fear and are trying to escape it because they are afraid.

I agree with your statement regarding it is cowardice. However, I also believe choosing to end your problems without thoroughly analysing the negative repercussions and consequences it would have on those around you and those who care about you. everyone from schools, to family, to friends, everyone would be effected in some way. but the selfish act itself is only a way out for the person committing suicide. Parents, family and friends have to live with it forever

nightmareangel666 forfeited this round.

I see that you forfeited the previous round of debate, I hope you will return to this one.
To close this debate, I will post a poem that I believe sums up what I am trying to get across. Please, if anyone is contemplating suicide or knows someone, reach out! There are people out there who want to help, who are qualified and want you to be ok.

The boy born with infection, raging through his leg,
Grateful for life, he could be dead.
The man who lost his wife, he lives with one limb,
Grateful for life, it could have been him.

The man fighting cancer, hanging onto life.
Longs once more, to kiss his wife.
Calls does the voice, summoning death.
He"s still fighting, for one last breath.

But you. You decide, to live no more.
Life itself has become a chore.
The thought of death more pleasing than life,
Each hour, each day, a colossal strife.

In her hand, the white capped pills,
Sends her heart racing, wilful chills.
The pills they slide along her tongue,
Swallow them now, the war is won.

As she falls, upon the floor.
Her brother comes knocking on the door.
Her lifeless body is now exposed,
The demons of her mind, finally deposed.

The ones you love, all in denial,
Now they walk you down the aisle.
Not one with smiles, or a rose bouquet,
Tear stained faces, weary and grey.

Your mother cries herself to sleep,
Your brother, alone, silently weeps.
Your father, consumed by sadness and grief.
Your life, stolen.
But you"re the thief.

I wrote this poem, and although it is dark and morbid, I have never first-hand experienced the aftermath of a suicide, and hope I never do.

nightmareangel666 forfeited this round.
Posted by Yilltheteam 1 year ago
When time of vote comes,I am now planning on voting for 'for' because the opposition isn't giving more than one reason rather than just saying about being terrified and scared(Your topic is cowardice mate XD)