jaygc415
tlockr

Is technology affecting the way children learn

tlockr
Started: 8/15/2015 Category: Technology

jaygc415

Pro

No technology is not hurting the way children are learning. Without technology people wouldn't be seeing microscopic organism, or we wouldn't have smart boards, or even computers to do essays or research. So no technology would only be hurting children if they abuse it. But kids who se technology the right way learn a lot from it. Here's another good point kids that are on this website are you learning thing? Probably didn't think about that.
tlockr

Con

Thanks for the opportunity to have a friendly debate on child learning. Good luck!

The title of this debate is a little confusing. Of course technology affects the way children learn. I hope that is not the debate. But from Pro's first round statements, it seems like the debate is that all technology is a help to children and the more parents expose their kids to will only improve things. I am definitely Con to this idea.

Pro's first statement is an absolute one and is false: "No technology is not hurting the way children are learning." Just two children impaired by technology would completely unfound the above statement. Hopefully Pro meant children in general are not significantly hurt in their learning process by all of the technology around them. Lets be more concise, it makes debating easier.

It is certainly true that advances in science and technology have improved learning, see Pro's example about microscopes. Not only can we talk to kids about bacteria and viruses, but we can now have them prepare their own slides and see the microbes themselves. Technology, however, does not aid in many types of learning. For instance, hand-writing/cursive, reason/philosophy, reading comprehension/speed, mental math, etc. are all areas of learning that technology really has no appropriate place in the learning process and if involved technology would only distract from the main purpose of the learning. If we abandoned all types of learning that did not involve some sort of tech then we would be doing many children a huge disservice in the most basic areas of learning.

Screen time is also becoming a serious health issue.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...
jaygc415

Pro

jaygc415 forfeited this round.
tlockr

Con

Well, that was disappointing. Pro used the example of kids (like him/her) being on Debate.org as evidence that technology is affecting the way young people learn in a positive way. Yet, Pro forfeited round 2. This certainly implies just the opposite.

Anyway, as a father of two, I can offer my own expert witness that the best, most substantial and wholesome learning involves technology in a minimal way if at all. I can see that the overuse of technology is a huge temptation for parents and teachers, and sadly, it becomes more of a form of entertainment than a learning experience.
jaygc415

Pro

jaygc415 forfeited this round.
tlockr

Con

I thank jaygc415 for the debate. I certainly enjoyed reflecting on this subject. I feel it is a topic that does not get as much attention as other debate subjects like global warming, abortion, gun control, etc.

I can't help but wonder if my opponent intended on completing this debate or this is just another spam account someone needed to boost their real account's voting record... hmm... Well, I guess that's to be expected with an amateur website.
Vote Placed by hellywon 1 year ago
hellywon
jaygc415tlockrTied
Vote Placed by dan40000000 1 year ago
dan40000000
jaygc415tlockrTied
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
jaygc415tlockrTied