mvd
JordanFunk

Is technology hindering education?

Started: 1/5/2016 Category: Technology

mvd

Pro

Is technology hindering education? While many argue that the use of social apps and the like are encouraging repetitive behavior (Who doesn't know the feeling of refreshing your Facebook feed numerous times a day), technology can be used in learning in order to help the user in a positive learning experience.
JordanFunk

Con

This question is one filled with much controversy from all over the world. Unlike my opponent, I believe technology is the future as we know it. Technology impacts all aspects of our lives and continues to do so everyday. One of the biggest areas where we see the impact of technology is in education, where it seems students all over the world learn more about our future, past, and present. Education today has been "bettered" due to technology and without it, we wouldn't know half the things we do today.

Teachers, students and parents have thousands of different learning tools at their fingertips each day thanks to technology. There are programs that help toddlers learn to read, grade school kids with math and high school students prepare for college entrance exams. If your child is struggling in an area, it's guaranteed there is some program out there that can help them excel. Other ways technology has improved education over time include:

-Teachers can share ideas, lesson plans and teaching methods via the internet. They can communicate what works and doesn"t work for them with others across the nation in a matter of minutes.

-Students learn valuable research skills at a young age. Technology gives students immediate access to an abundance of information " and are therefore learning at much quicker rates than before.

-Students and teachers have access to diverse material. Though sites on the internet aren't always reliable, there are plenty of resourceful, credible websites both teachers and students can utilize. The internet also provides a variety of knowledge and doesn"t limit students to one person"s opinion.

-Online learning is now an option. Face-to-face interaction is huge, especially in the younger years, but some students work better when they can go at their own pace. Online schools are now accredited and have changed the way we view education.

Technology today has become vital to some areas of our everyday lives, from communicating with friends and family to helping save lives at our local hospitals. Without question technology has benefited many people"s lives. In and outside of the classroom. Just like anything, moderation seems to be key " and technology used for educational purposes is no different. Now like my opponent, some believe school systems don"t even compare to what they used to be and are choosing to homeschool their kids; some feel school systems are more advanced than ever; some are totally against public schools for reasons other than education; and some feel that education has taken on a whole new meaning over the past few decades. There"s no arguing that our educational system has been transformed, and much of that credit goes to ever-advancing technology. Regardless of where you stand, technology has made a difference.
mvd

Pro

mvd forfeited this round.
JordanFunk

Con

JordanFunk forfeited this round.
mvd

Pro

mvd forfeited this round.
JordanFunk

Con

JordanFunk forfeited this round.
Posted by Roadmaster55 1 year ago
Roadmaster55
I am an old fashioned guy (even at the ripe old age of 25). I love old cars and old music and I don't care to give up my flip phone. There are numerous drawbacks to technology i.e. it's easier than ever to spy or steal these days but like anything else you must take the bad with the good. I believe technology can have some wonderful educational benefits and there is no question that it has an ongoing positive affect on the practice of medicine.
Posted by JordanFunk 1 year ago
JordanFunk
My opponent doesn't even know what hindering means. Being on the pro side of the topic; that means you believe technology is hurting our education... not doing good. You basically just won this debate for me, proving that education has noting but improved our education today.