Sgraf
petersaysstuff

Is technology necessarily positive for society?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 3/22/2011 Category: Technology

Sgraf

Con

It is no secret that technology has in some ways made life easier for people all around the world but I am now considering whether or not it has actually made life better. As technological advancements are made in our society the need for actual man power to perform certain jobs is greatly reduced. People around the world are losing jobs in different industries and at different levels of corporations. Another reason that I feel modern advances in technology are somewhat of a negative for society is that people are becoming more comfortable communicating through technology than face to face with each other. Between texting and E-Mails our society has reached a point where even a phone call is an inconvenience or uncomfortable experience.
petersaysstuff

Pro

First off I would like to start by clarifying the resolution. As one of the commenter's noted:
"Any person who accepts this debate is an idiot considering the word "necessarily" in the resolution. Pro would have to prove that NO technology is harmful to society, which is obviously false."
Yet I am taking the resolution to mean benefits our society, not that no technology is harmful. But now that we have gotten that straightened out let's move on to the definitions.

Seeing as my opponent provided no definitions it is my duty to do so.

Technology: "the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area" [1]
Positive: "involving advantage or good" [2]
Easier (because my opponent used that in his case): "not burdensome or oppressive" [3]

//Refutation\
In my opponent's first speech he said //technology has in some ways made life easier for people// yet if we look to the definition of easier and positive we see that if life is not burdensome or oppressive as my opponent concedes, then it is advantages and thus, for this reason alone, technology is a positive. (It also must be noted that we must use my definitions because my opponent provided none and thus I must take up the torch.

// As technological advancements are made in our society the need for actual man power to perform certain jobs is greatly reduced. People around the world are losing jobs in different industries and at different levels of corporations.//

This is not entirely true. Even with the increase in machine made goods third world countries still rely on humans to assemble the products as well as inspect them. Just because some of the more dangerous jobs have been replaced does not mean that technology is over all a bad thing.
Turn: Grundfos robots in Germany have created more jobs! [4] As the same article also says:
"Robots have contributed to making the work processes far more efficient. Thus, they have made way for increased earnings, and at the same time taken over most of the tedious routine tasks that used to cause attrition and monotonous work. At several production sites, the robots have even taken over job functions that were hazardous to the employees. "
Thus we can see that robots increase earnings as well as cut the work time and make employees safer. All of these are advantageous to the modern worker and this shows technology is a positive on our society.

//Another reason that I feel modern advances in technology are somewhat of a negative for society is that people are becoming more comfortable communicating through technology than face to face with each other. Between texting and E-Mails our society has reached a point where even a phone call is an inconvenience or uncomfortable experience.//

Ok? So what? You have provided no impact to this and thus I must do so. There is a company called Text4Baby which sends text messages to mothers who are expecting babies. These text messages include reminders about immunizations and nutrition. [5] Texting is also beneficial if you need to communicate with someone discretely or without interrupting them. [6] Text messages are also more cost effective than normal phone calls and thus they are advantageous. [7]

//Arguments\
The first and most obvious advantage of technology is that medical advancement ensues. The most obvious advantage to medical advancement is the destruction of smallpox. Smallpox was a disease that killed at least 400,000 Europeans per year during the 18th century. The invention of the vaccine has all but eradicated smallpox thus saving hundreds of thousands of lives. [8] The eradication of smallpox is an advantage to our society and thus a positive and since the development of medicine is technological advancement, this proves that technology is a positive. Another positive of technology is the ability to communicate with people around the globe which has a) helped treat diseases and b) led to the increase of knowledge which is a positive for our society.

Thus it is easy to see that technology is a positive for our society.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[4] http://www.grundfos.com...
[5] http://stcloud.injuryboard.com...
[6] http://socyberty.com...
[7] http://www.tmcsms.com...
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Sgraf

Con

Sgraf forfeited this round.
petersaysstuff

Pro

I'm sorry to see that my opponent has forfeited the last round. Please extend my arguments.
Sgraf

Con

Sgraf forfeited this round.
petersaysstuff

Pro

This is going to be a long debate. Please extend.
Sgraf

Con

Sgraf forfeited this round.
petersaysstuff

Pro

Only one more round to go. Extend.
Sgraf

Con

Sgraf forfeited this round.
petersaysstuff

Pro

Extend. Vote Pro.
Posted by petersaysstuff 6 years ago
petersaysstuff
Now that I read your comment here just forget my first paragraph xD
Posted by Sgraf 6 years ago
Sgraf
I did not mean it in that way. Please excuse my mistake, I was not referring to all of technology as a whole. I meant that our society places too much of an emphasis on technology and we get so wrapped up in what machines can do that we lose sight of the negative impacts that it can have on peoples lives.
Posted by KRFournier 6 years ago
KRFournier
Five rounds? Does this topic really need that many rounds?
Posted by Thaddeus 6 years ago
Thaddeus
That is true, but I don't think he meant that.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Any person who accepts this debate is an idiot considering the word "necessarily" in the resolution. Pro would have to prove that NO technology is harmful to society, which is obviously false.
Posted by Thaddeus 6 years ago
Thaddeus
I'ma gonna take this if you don't boredinclass.
Posted by boredinclass 6 years ago
boredinclass
Change the character max to 8000 and the posting period to 72 hours and I'll accept
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
SgrafpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by boredinclass 6 years ago
boredinclass
SgrafpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by nonentity 6 years ago
nonentity
SgrafpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: This might have been really interesting. Shame.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
SgrafpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
SgrafpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON forfeit