Is technology ruining our lives?

Started: 12/9/2013 Category: Technology

Lets first define what technology is. When I say technology I am talking about the things we use in our everyday lives; laptops, TV, gaming consoles, cellphones, etc. I personally believe that these things that we use everyday are helping to better our lives. I am in another debate with a similar topic but unfortunately the guy is not responding, just my luck! So for anyone that might have read that one, I apologize for sounding like a broken record :)

Anyways lets jump right in! I was born in 1993 on the cusp of the technology age that was sweeping our generation. Growing up I didn't have a lot technology in my house. It would be early two thousands that we actually got a computer. As a kid I was always playing outside or playing with toys in my room. My brother"s story, born in 2000, is very different. By this time we had a Nintendo 64 and a computer in the house. While growing up I started to play a lot of video games and computer games and the same can be said for my brother. The difference between him and I, is that I once knew a life without all of this technology that plays such a significant role in his life.

Now if we are talking about the programs like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. then I will tell you right now that these should have never been created.

The reason I told that story is so that you can see the difference between him and I. Us kids born in those precursors years to the technology wave, understand how to balance our everyday technology driven lives. But the problem isn't that we have to "much" exposure to technology, but rather "how" we are exposed to it. Technology as a whole, is a driving force behind our economy as well as our workforce. It has helped with the advancements of numerous industries as well as provided us with hours and hours of zombie killing in the Call of Duty series. Now let me state that I do think that technology can be overwhelming to some. What I mean by that, is the person that you know that can never put their phone down, or is always checking his Facebook on his laptop. But I think that these people do not understand how to fully use technology to its full potential.

A lot of good things do come from technology; and more specifically from the people who are connected to them. We are starting to see the rise of tablets in our school systems. In most schools that I have worked in, instead of taking students to the computer lab, a cart of iPads are wheeled right into the class so that students can work right from their desks'. This gives students a chance to work at their own pace and if they don't understand something they can just go back or look up other resources, right in front of them, to find out more information. We are also starting to see the implementing of Smartboard technology in the classrooms. Think back to those dirty chalk boards your teacher used to use. Now just imagine that your teacher was able to show the class movies, picture, slideshows, etc. on that chalk board, now you see the significance. If we start at a young age, showing kids how to use technology at its fullest, we can better the future and we can expand their minds to the possibilities that life has to offer.

I will admit that some people are addicted to technology, but this is no more the car's fault when a person gets in an accident, as it is the technologies for getting abused. It comes down to the way it is presented to that person. If it is presented in the way of opportunities and growth, only then are we able to see a society less addicted to Farmville and more addicted to politics, world news, design, etc. We have to embrace that the age of computers and the growth of technology is upon us. To deny this, is to be ignorant to change.

My definition of technology is quite different then side opposition's. You state that it is the elements to the word like, computers, and laptops. Now we can say that just by themselves computers and laptops are harmless correct? But let me start by saying you have grasped about 50% of what really is technology.

Are nuclear weapons not considered technology? Technology is defied as anything that will make your life easier. What are nuclear weapons designed for? To kill masses of people and destroy at a very fast rate. Most technology that is made is successful(not necessarily in the markets ) , and what those can be made into is at most disturbing. This technology as you may have seen in Hiroshima happened to killed 90,000 to 166,000 people. Would you say that those people are effected with technology in a good way? Perhaps you also forgot the effects of technology in Nagasaki where an additional 60,000 to 80,000 people were killed. This is why technology causes a major effect on our lives that is ruining it.

Let's take a look at x-ray machines that scan parts of the human body. Yes, these machines are at most helpful and we need this technology for our medical system to be as good as it is today, but I'm sure your aware that x-ray waves make you exposed to radiation. We could say a smaller version of a nuclear bomb if I may compare it that way. This is one of many examples that are giving the people in our society problems. The effect of these machines is minimal yes, but think of it this way. Would you want to get a 100% of dying (not from x-ray just in general) or rather a 99% chance of dying. Sane people will choose the 99% as that gives them a higher chance at living. So if we have technology such as x-ray machines, and microwaves(which also use small amounts of radiation) that are not very safe to use, well than they have potential to ruin lives. Technology has great potential to ruin our lives.

Finally let's look at the aspect of television as technology shall we? I'm not sure your aware but around the time of World War 1 and World War 2 there was a lot of propaganda posters being released. This got people to think things like, being a soldier is fun because you get to kill. These posters are exactly like the television of today, they are spreading around propaganda as well as lies to developing minds to brainwash children/teens into thinking things that go against your own beliefs. Does technology that is persuading us to waste money, and vote for people/something you don't truly believe in good technology? This is corrupting the young minds of children into becoming zombies. Children which will one day lead the countries were you and me both live in. This proves my case that technology is not only ruining our live, but also the people's lives around us.

Technology such as the "tablets", (which you said are now increased in the schooling systems) are only used to make more technology which I argue will impact all of us in the future. Why should we duplicate something that ruins our every day lives? Would you want to duplicate the problems you have in your life? That is why I believe that technology is ruining our lives.

Thank you

Very interesting points Nafana. Now I know that I was not clear in what this "technology" is, so let me take this time to better define this word. For the sake of this argument I am talking about the technology that is being used on a daily basis. Yes we use x-ray machines and microwaves but I am speaking directly to TV, cellphones, laptops, etc, things that connect us all as human beings. When I said ruining our lives I meant it in the sense of IS IT TAKING AWAY THE CURIOSITY/WONDER OF THE WORLD FROM OUR YOUNGER GENERATIONS WHO ARE ALWAYS CONNECTED? Even if we look at your first two points, the argument can still be made that they are both very much so needed in this day and age. Maybe not so much nuclear weapons, but at the time of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it was very much so needed. Yes it ruined those peoples lives but it was for the greater good. Stopping there, that is a whole debate in and of itself.

I believe that technology in our schools is helping to better our students for the future. If we are able to expose our students to technology in an environment that promotes learning, this will then translate over into the technology they are using. The students will be more likely to use this technology for learning and exploration instead of sitting on Facebook or wasting time aimlessly perusing the internet. If we stress the importance of using technology for learning and constructive exploration, we can make leaps and bounds in the field of technology for good. For example a new kickstarter has just surfaced on something called Kano. Kano is a box set of tools for kids to use to build and program their very own computer. They will learn how a computer works, how to code and program, and how to create their very own programs and change them. This is simply amazing! I urge you to take a look at their website!

Kano website:

You also talked about television and how it has an impact on our lives. Lets look at the first thing you said about laptops and computers. You had said that computers and laptops are harmless when by themselves. Well the same can be said about televisions. It is what is exposed to us that is causing the harm. Like I said before, it is no more the cars fault when we get in an accident then it is the technology that is being abused. It comes down to what we are exposing ourselves to. If all we ever watch is Fox then we are more likely to be conservative, the opposite can be said for CNN or MSNBC. But how is this the TV's fault? You blame technology but the real problem is the programs that feed us this garbage. Even if you still want to blame TV's for "corrupting the young minds of children" it STILL is not the fault of the TV, the fault should be placed on the parent or guardian for letting children be exposed to any type of program with no regard for the content. But you can still find things that help to better society. Documentaries on PBS or the History channel, Netflix and HBO for documentaries that are more up to date.

Technology is, simply stated, amazing. Never have we, as human beings, been so connected with one another. We are able to share something that is happening across the globe in seconds. Able to broadcast our thoughts/feelings on boards and forums and create art through programs like Indesign and Adobe Photoshop. We have websites like Stumbleupon which show you websites based on your personal interests. I have learned quite a bit from Stumbleupon and the websites it has shown me. Technology is not here to disconnect us from this world we are living in but to increase our wonder and amazement for it, to help us better understand these people we share the planet with.

Like I have said before, it is not how "much" exposure we are getting to technology but rather "how" we are exposed to it. Technology is around us 24/7, from the TV being on in the living room to the laptop you are working on right in front of you, with your headphones on listening to music on Spotify and your cellphone pulled out, sitting close by. Technology is here to stay and we have to learn to control ourselves. We have to learn the proper way to expose ourselves to technology like I mentioned above. If we don't have this self control, we risk turning into that person that is constantly "connected". I am not afraid of technology and the impact it will have on our future generations. I look at the drive we have as a generation that was not fully submerged in technology like my brother has been, or like his children or my children will be, and I am simply amazed at where we are.

It is our responsibility to show the younger generations life without technology is important. That every now and then you need to "disconnect" and get outside and smell the fresh air, or go sit under a tree and listen to the sounds of summer. It is also our responsibility to show them how to use technology for other things besides Twitter and Candycrush. That technology has so much raw potential to be used for something so much more greater. I'm ready and excited for where technology is going to take us, are you?

You have some great points that I can see which I would like to disagree partly with. So the basics that I can see is that we should do is turn all children into computer loving robots, which will think strictly think like a computer. That is quite the exaggeration yes, but it's basically what we will be doing. Now solely based on that I would like to make three arguments.

Firstly, including lessons like the website link you posted will teach children to create a computer and write your own programs will be enabling children to get into the world of technology. That sounds good in theory but, it is not good for the future of our people. In this debate me and you both are exploring new topics, and looking at each other sides from different perspectives, and that only makes us human. However, if we get children making computers and writing programs for them, that will cause them to think also like a computer. The computer it's self is not a very complex minded device. It only understands yes, or no. Do we want children only thinking with yes or no or actually having them exploring new topics and looking at the in depth aspect of them. Something that a computer can't do is show feelings, and emotions. To make my point clear I'm sure your aware that if you want to get a job and you have to examinations for them hardly ever will there be a time where true/false questions are asked. It will most likely be essays or a series of questions you have to answer. Now hold on yes, the computer does you logic to figure things out, but I fail to see how using yes or no logic could help a child that is growing up in life. That is why I think that technology could ruin our lives.

Secondly, let's say that this idea is truly practical and we get all kinds of people doing what professional programmers do for a living. Our economy feeds on cash flow. The more cash flow the better the economy. Now by making coding and developing of programs common knowledge what do we prevent? We firstly prevent the need of computer programming jobs. If everyone can do it what's the point of paying someone else to do it? Finally university get paid money ALOT of money to educate people to become programmers. Do you recommend we get rid of those universities that teach people how to program. I previously said that the economy feeds on cash flow, and this will exactly preventing that.

Thirdly, I can safely say that most information we get online could come from books and newspapers. The articles written strictly in the Internet will all contain other sources from the Internet. When a professor writes a speech and needs to do research where does he look? Well most professors will look at a lot of books and physical sources. The reason being that we can not truly trust 100% of the content on the Internet. The spread of information on the Internet comes from those books, but it changes. I think you know the "telephone" game where you have to pass on a message around a group of people, and by the time the message gets to the end it is completely different. Well that is exactly what happens, information is changed or paraphrased, and will end up being different and plausibly false. Do we want people that are studying to worry about the risk of getting wrong information? How does that benefit anyone? All it does is makes an issue of trust in our society. Summarizing, the books are what people should be reading to get the most out of the research and the development. No, I am not saying that we should get rid of technology completely as there are some benefits. However in this case technology can ruin the spread of information and our lives.

Concluding, we can say that there is some benefits, like people should know the basics of a computer since it is a very dominating thing in our world today. However, there is some negative aspects to. You said that it is not the technology that is the problem it is our interaction with it, and how the information is passed on to us. Well if there is such information what is the point of even having that technology in the first place. You said that Twitter and Facebook should have never been created well what makes a television any different. Technology is ruining our lives step by step and we can not let it take over our lives and infect it into the young generations.

Thank you

Lets start with you first argument. Basically what you are saying is that if we have our children making computers and writing code, that will cause them to think like a computer. I am not sure if this is actually lets compare this same ideology to something else. When I was a little kid I used to watch Sesame Street, man did I love that show. Between that and Barney, I never missed an episode. But you know what, I didn't turn into a puppet, even better, I didn't turn into a over-sized purple dinosaur. You have completely missed the point of the Kano website, so here I will post it again so that you can read through it once more. The purpose of the Kano Project is for children and students, remember they are putting these in schools, to learn about how a computer works, how to build a computer, how to change codes in programs, and how to write code. Now just so we are clear, you are stating children that use this set to do those said things above, will then think like computers and become emotionless.

Here is the website with a video and more information as well:

Kano website:

Your second argument is void due to the fact that your first argument is unrealistic and impossible.

You then make the argument that most information we can get online, could come from books and newspaper. This is such an out dated idea. We don't live in an age anymore that the newspaper is our primary source of information. Right now I, sitting in my living room, have access to four, count 'em, 1 2 3 4, ways to get any type of information my little heart can think of. Lets first consider that this it is possible. Imagine that all this information that I have access to on my laptop alone (music information on the Internet, personnel documents, etc), was turned into a physical thing. How much time and effort is that needed for that idea to become a reality? By the time something happens in Iran, and I hear about it, a dozen other things happen in that country alone. The exposure alone would be significantly cut down, and the information would be out dated and runs the risk of being wrong because of the pressure to print something. When a professor writes a speech or performs research, he or she will look online, in databases from people across the globe, not go into some dusty, old library and crack open a book. He might, but we know he or she won't. Right now you have a university professor named Richard Baraniuk who has designed something called Connexions. What this is, is an open source, meaning it can be changed and edited (think of Wikipedia), online education system. The idea behind this is professors are looking to collaborate with other teachers around the world to share and modify course materials freely between other professors anywhere in the world. Now you are probably thinking that because it is open sourced the credibility of the site is put at risk. I will counter this by saying that if you do edit it, you edit it as yourself. YOUR reputation is put on the line. If you were to make outlandish claims or put information on the site that is false, it will come back to YOU and no one else. This is comparable to Ebay. On Ebay, if you want to succeed, your reputation is your life blood. Making sure you have a good rep ensures consumers that, hey this guy has sold a lot of stuff and he is a trusted seller. The same can be said about Connexions. If you have a professor held to high standards, editing stuff which could come back to him if it is false or inaccurate, he will think twice before putting it on there. And to say that the information comes from books, but changes, is simply not true. When people site a source, it means that they have taken it word for word or have described it in such detail, it's in need of a citation.

To call TV and Facebook the same thing, is false. On one had you have a social networking site, that's it. What other point does Facebook serve? Then you have TV. TV, if controlled by what is watched and how much is watched, is a tool for knowledge. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of garbage on TV and a lot of it is due to the fact of getting ratings up. But if you were to watch programs that are from credible sources, the opportunities are endless.

I may have come off as an a**hole but I tried to make it clear what the definition of technology is. I did this in the first round, second round, and posted something in the comments clarifying what my definition of "technology" was. Two rounds you have not fully understood what I am truly talking about, or have decided to talk about something completely different.

Regardless I appreciate your time and effort you have put into this debate. I hope that we can debate again in the future.

Nafana forfeited this round.
Posted by Coding_Is_My_Hobby 2 years ago
Lever. 'nuf said.
Posted by petrushka.googol 2 years ago
It will eventually lead to the atrophy of some our body parts eg. arms as we use less of them and robots and other automatons replace humans in the workplace. However the cybernetic extension to our nervous system (viz the internet) means more nervous impulses received which also means more information assimilated. That is good for IQ development. (and General Awareness).
Posted by Trevor0514 2 years ago
But more or less the technology that we use everyday...
Posted by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
"from the burn of a flame to the cut of a knife."

I like that.
Posted by Trevor0514 2 years ago
Yes I see your point. And I do mean "ruining our lives" in a very general term. I talk a bit about that in my opening argument :)
Posted by GuitarBushido 2 years ago
You will also need to define "ruining our lives."

Technology is a double-edged sword and as such will hurt us as it helps us as it always has, from the burn of a flame to the cut of a knife.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF --> final argument unrefuted