Anara
AmIRight

Is television the leading cause of violence in today"s society?

Anara

Pro

I have a strong position that television is one of the sources of violence. And I will prove my opinion on the next levels.
AmIRight

Con

I can't agree with my opponent that Television is the leading cause of violence in today's society.

Since my opponent didn't give any arguments, I'll first my arguments:
  1. Violence was always there. It's not a new invention. Since the beginning of time, there has been violence. The first murder is mentioned in the bible. Much before there was even electricity.
  2. If the violence you see on television causes you to act violently, each and every one of us (since most of us watch TV) would have been violent
  3. Those who act violently are people which are naturally violent. The proof of that is that animals act violently too. animals do not watch TV. They act violently since they are naturally violent creatures.
Anara

Pro

Television. This word associates for us with "violence", "crime", "pornography". And this becomes usual in today's society. And possibly, it is a reason why many people don`t find the cause of violence in TV, because it is usual situation for them, when they see bad scenes on the screen, they just don't pay attention on it. And this is the source,all we became "cold". For us it is trifling when happens bad events around us. And we don't notice that slowly turn to monsters. But there is the great impact of television's violence on youth, especially.

1. Children copy everything what is happening on the screen, not caring whether it is good or bad. For example, there was experiment with the children. Television researchers split children in two groups. For the first group the clip, where little girl hit a doll, was shown. For the second group the clip, where that girl had a tea party with doll, was shown. After that researchers gave dolls to every group, and every group did the things, which they saw in the video. (http://library.thinkquest.org...)

2. Violence on television causes aggression in people, especially again in children. But the effect, they have from the television, can be opened after a lot of years, even if they are 30 years old. "In 1973, a small Canadian town (called "Noel" by the investigators) acquired television for the first time. The acquisition of television at such a late date was due to problems with signal reception rather than any hostility toward television. Joy et al20 investigated the impact of television on this virgin community, using as control groups two similar communities that already had television. In a double-blind research design, a cohort of 45 first- and second-grade students were observed prospectively over a period of 2 years for rates of objectively measured noxious physical aggression (egg., hitting, shoving, and biting). Rates of physical aggression did not change significantly among children in the two control communities. Two years after the introduction of television, rates of physical aggression among children in Noel had increased by 160%" (http://cursor.org...)

3. Again children saw violence on TV, repeat it, thinking that their action will not be punished. That means they are persuaded that crimes, violence... have punishment, despite their terrible consequences.

47% of violent television programs show the victim going unharmed, especially in cartoons.
The person in the cartoon or television show gets bowled over by another character and they get back up without being harmed. Children begin to believe that violence doesn't really hurt others.

73% of individuals who commit crimes in cartoons and children's shows go unpunished in violent scenes
Television shows that allow the character who commits the crime to receive no punishment, teaches children that it is alright to commit a crime because nothing will be done. Criminals and violent acts do not get punished.(http://library.thinkquest.org...)

4. And there are certain facts that television promotes homicide. Following the introduction of television into the United States, the annual white homicide rate increased by 93%, from 3.0 homicides per 100 000 white population in 1945 to 5.8 per 100 000 in 1974; in South Africa, where television was banned, the white homicide rate decreased by 7%, from 2.7 homicides per 100 000 white population in 1943 through 1948 to 2.5 per 100 000 in 1974. As with US whites, following the introduction of television into Canada the Canadian homicide rate increased by 92%, from 1.3 homicides per 100 000 population in 1945 to 2.5 per 100 000 in 1974. ...white South African homicide rates would double within 10 to 15 years after the introduction of television in 1975, the rate having already increased 56% by 1983 (http://cursor.org...). If you want to see more just go to this web site.

Well, it can be said that nowadays television is full of acts of murders, robberies, violence. And all of theme, all-in-all, have a huge influence on our consciousness. So, this is beyond controversy.
AmIRight

Con

AmIRight forfeited this round.
Anara

Pro

I think that I can introduce to my opponent the facts why television is the leading cause of violence. Television hasn't significant influence on adults' mind, but has a great impact on children, on their brain's development. And if they catch the idea of violence in childhood from TV, then their opinion about crimes, murders cannot be changed. Only in adulthood they make their ideas real, and we don't know what kind of idea it can be. Thus, television influences the consciousness of children, who at their time will be ready to accomplish terrible action. But also there was a fact TV has influence on adults too, but it is seldom event.

All-in-all, there are a lot of exploration, researches, which prove the statement of our debate's topic. I am sure that I could demonstrate the facts, that`s why people vote for me!
AmIRight

Con

AmIRight forfeited this round.