LadyHistory
FolkDevil

Is tendency to look good killing good music or is it already dead?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 8/23/2011 Category: Arts

LadyHistory

Pro

We live in a time where a big amount of people listen to Justin Bieber,Rebecca Black and ,,musicians' like them. So is the good music(like rock) dead? I think it isn't,but it's on a good way to die,because people started to watch music,more than listening to it. What I meant in the last sentence is the fact that a good video can get up to 500.000.000 views to bad music and musicians with autotune. Of course the good video is great,but I think the music should be more important than video. I also think that the look of a singer shouldn't matter if he or she has good voice and knows to sing well. It's unfair that Justin Bieber has so much views mostly for his look and video,but people like Susan Boyle can't win a competition because they don't look young and pretty?
FolkDevil

Con

I agree with your assertion that the mainstream music scene is dominated by young, beautiful, and mostly talentless cash cows.

The music you hear on the radio and the videos you see on TV are built from the ground up to influence your opinion of "cool", and are written to be as simple and as catchy as possible to hook you into buying a product. There's a reason you always get the worst songs stuck in your head.

The bottom line is that sex and controversy sell.

However, good music is absolutely not dead.

Anyone willing to look beyond the thin layer of filth that pollutes the music industry today will find a deep and rich medium that grows more brilliant every day. All you have to do is look.

It doesn't matter how many people it reaches; good music is good music. Of course, "good" is entirely subjective.
LadyHistory

Pro

I agree that the good music is not dead,but like I said before it's so close to. I mean,when you have to ,,dig' to find real music sang by talented artist,we should really ask ourselves,who we need to blame for that? I think we should blame us for that. I know we are exposed to ads in media and that media stuff,but we are the ones who type the name of untalented artists in our search engine more than the ones who actually has talent. We're the ones who make that kind of music popular.

But I am more concerned for young talented artists who give up on their work and dreams because they don't have enough money for good advertisment and stuff like that. What they think when they see some selfish 17-year old having fame because good music video and advertisements? I think that they give up or become like him.

And there is good music,but that music is mostly old. I agree that years doesn't matter to quality,but nothing can last forever. And young kids and teens who doesn't know any of ,,good' old musicians can't find them on Internet,they will search for what they saw on commercials,like you said. But we are guilty because we let good music to die,and we are the ones who propagate artists like Bieber and Black in media. We should give support to talents,we should talk about the ones who deserve attention and popularity! Because if we don't talents will give up and the whole music scene in future will be full of Biebers and Blacks,and very little people will know for music that worth listening.

I completely agree with you that ,,good' is subjective,but we all see the difference between autotune watching optimized music and music that you can listen whole day and night and actually enjoy in it.
FolkDevil

Con

FolkDevil forfeited this round.
LadyHistory

Pro

LadyHistory forfeited this round.
FolkDevil

Con

FolkDevil forfeited this round.
LadyHistory

Pro

LadyHistory forfeited this round.
FolkDevil

Con

FolkDevil forfeited this round.
LadyHistory

Pro

LadyHistory forfeited this round.
FolkDevil

Con

FolkDevil forfeited this round.
Posted by LadyHistory 5 years ago
LadyHistory
I completely agree with you HistoryNotHisStory :)
Great username by the way!
Posted by HistoryNotHisStory 5 years ago
HistoryNotHisStory
The lack of good music is the result of video and technology.

To be a star all one has to do is to hit a few notes. Singing is an option.

Also, because most of the music is computer generated, musicians has taken the back road.

I love the Seventies and Eighties. Bands with talented musicans collaborated to make their sound and become creative.
Posted by LadyHistory 5 years ago
LadyHistory
I can give you facts,that may convince you,but I cannot be hundred percent sure.
Justin Bieber is bad because his music is one/summer/long/ music. He uses autotune,because he doesn't sound that good,because he hasn't got talent. I mean,if you like to listen to machine's voice,you can,there you are. But can you actually enjoy in it? I bet you can't.
And there are good and bad rock. From my view rock is good because it's all about music and instruments,and words are hard,but honest. You could actually listen to that and find it suitable as background music for some points of your life.
Posted by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Lordknukle
I'm pretty sure that both people are arguing from the same perspective.
Anyways, the term "good" is entirely debatable. Prove to me that Justin Bieber is bad. Prove to me that rock is good. You can't.

BTW I hate JB, I was just adding a different perspective.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
LadyHistoryFolkDevilTied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)