AskMeAboutIslam
TheMrkanyewest01

Is the Bible God's Word?

AskMeAboutIslam

Con

I would be arguing that the bible we have now is not the word of God

THREE GRADES OF EVIDENCE

We Muslims have no hesitation in acknowledging that in the Bible, there three different kindsof witnessing recognizable without any need of specialized training. These are:
1. You will be able to recognize in the Bible what may be described as"The Word ofGod."
2. You also be able to discern what can be described as the"Words of a Prophet of God.
3. And you will most readily observe that the bulk of the Bible is the records of eyewitnesses or ear witnesses, or people writing from hearsay. As such they are the
"Words of a Historian."
You do not have to hunt for examples of these different types of evidences in the Bible. The following quotations will make the position crystal clear:
The First Type:
a. I will raise them up a prophet...I and will put my words in...and he shall speak
unto them that I shall command him." (Deuteronomy 18:18)
b. I even am the Lord, and beside me there is no saviour." (Isaiah 43:11)
c. Look unto me and be ye saved, all the end of the earth: for I am God, and there is non else" (Isaiah 45:22)
Note the first person pronoun singular (bold) in the above references, and without any
difficulty you will agree that the statements seem to have the sound of being GOD'S WORD.

The Second Type:
a."Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying Eli, Eli, Lama sabachtani?..." (Matthew 27:46)
b. "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord:" (Mark 12:29)
c. " And Jesus said unto him, why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God." (Mark 10:18).
Even a child will be able to affirm that: Jesus"cried," Jesus "answered," and Jesus "said,"are the words of the one to whom they are attributed, i.e. the WORDS OF A PROPHET OF GOD.

The Third Type:
"And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he, (JESUS) came, if haply he (JESUS)might find anything thereon: and when he (JESUS) came to it, he (JESUS) found nothing but leaves..." (Mark 11:13)
The bulk of the Bible is a witnessing of this THIRD kind. These are the words of a third person. Note the underlined pronouns. They are not the Words of God or of His prophet, but the WORDS OF A HISTORIAN.
For the Muslim it is quite easy to distinguish the above types of evidence, because he alsohas them in his own faith. But of the followers of the different religions, he is the most fortunate in this that his various records are contained in separate Books!
The Muslim keeps the above three types of evidence jealously apart, in their proper
gradations of authority. He never equates them. We have the Quran as the direct word of god. We have in seperate books the words of the Prophet Muhammad(pbUh) in Hadith and we have the words of historian in totally seperate books. (Like Imam ghazali). On the other hand, the "Holy Bible" containsa motley type of literature, which composes the embarrassing kind, the sordid, and the obscene - all under the same cover - A Christian is forced to concede equal spiritual import and authority to all, and is thus unfortunate in this regard.

The Muslim StandPoint
We believe in INJEEL means the "Gospel" or "good news" which Jesus Christ(pbuh) preached during his short ministry. The "Gospel" writers often mention that Jesus going about and preaching the Gospel (the Injeel):
1. "And Jesus went...preaching the gospel, ... and healing every disease among the people." (Matthew 9:35)
2. "...but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it." (Mark 8:35)

The "gospel" is a frequently-used word, but what Gospel did Jesus preach? Of the 27 books of the New Testament, only a small fraction can be accepted as the words of Jesus. The Christians boast about the Gospels according to St. Matthew, according to St. Mark, according to St. Luke and according to St. John, but there is not a single Gospel "according" to (St.) Jesus himself!

We sincerely believe that everything Christ (May the peace and blessings of God be upon him) preached was from God. That was the Injeel, the good news and the guidance of God for the Children of Israel. In his life-time Jesus never wrote a single word, nor did he instruct anyone to do so.

In conclusion what I would be arguing in this debate is that what passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands and not Almight God.

TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

I accept your challenge AskMeAboutIslam
I think it's obvious that ALL works proclaiming to be of god are work of a human hand. God cannot literally write out (the top of my head i can think of 4 books proclaiming to be of god and monotheistic descent) works like The Quran,The Old and New Testament books,and The Book of Mormon. Now,in your first example of your argument you refereed to the singular pronoun "I" as the literal word of god and i would agree. But,in your conclusion you wrote that "In conclusion what I would be arguing in this debate is that what passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands and not Almighty God".Now,lets examine your statement you said that the gospels were written by anonymous hands and were not WORKS of god.But,since god has the inability to write,He lends his words and therefore none of the above mentioned books are WORKS of god,but merely WORDS of god. God used men to write down His thoughts much as a businessman uses a secretary. He allowed them to put these thoughts in their own words. But the men themselves said they were inspired,if god used men to write down his words and thoughts Jesus of Nazareth did as well,that means that all aforementioned books hold the same merit and were written about in the same way. Your first three examples seem to be Grammatical rather than Rhetorical arguments.
And that concludes my first argument.
AskMeAboutIslam

Con

AskMeAboutIslam forfeited this round.
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

TheMrkanyewest01 forfeited this round.
AskMeAboutIslam

Con

AskMeAboutIslam forfeited this round.
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

does this mean i win?
AskMeAboutIslam

Con

AskMeAboutIslam forfeited this round.
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

TheMrkanyewest01 forfeited this round.
AskMeAboutIslam

Con

AskMeAboutIslam forfeited this round.
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

Vote Con Seeing my opponent has not provided any arguments what so ever.