Eli01
ImFairlyLiberal

Is the Bible Relevant today?

Eli01

Pro

If you accept this debate, you will be arguing that the bible is not relevant today and will be taking the position as CON.

Round 1: Acceptance

Round 2: Opening arguments

Round 3: Rebuttals

Round 4: Final arguments

Round 5: Rebuttals and closing statements

Please keep this debate clean, and moral. Thank You in advance for accepting this debate.

*This is the second time I am posting this debate. My first opponent never showed up. I hope my next opponent wil be able to debate with me.*
ImFairlyLiberal

Con

I accept your challeng and would also like to preface by stating that I am completely new to this website and still trying to figure out how it works. My apologies for anything that may be considered outside of the norm and any grammar/spelling issues are likely because I am on a phone. Good luck and thank you.
Eli01

Pro

RELEVANT
ADJECTIVE
closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand:
"the candidate's experience is relevant to the job"

In this argument and my final arguments I will show two examples of someone who has benefited greatly from the Bible's relevance.

I am quoting from an article.

Example 1:
Honesty

BIBLE PRINCIPLE: “Who may be a guest in [God’s] tent? . . . The one who is walking faultlessly, practicing what is right and speaking the truth in his heart.”—Psalm 15: 1, 2.

BENEFITS: Most people value honesty and integrity. But what if an opportunity arises for a person to profit from dishonesty—and get away with it? Now the spotlight is on the heart, the inner person.

Raquel, whose work involved purchasing supplies, said: “Certain sales agents offered me kickbacks. They promised that if I bought from them, they would pass some of the ‘discount’ on to me instead of to my company. But I recalled the Bible’s counsel on honesty and said no. My boss heard about this, and her confidence in me grew.”

Had Raquel been seduced by the offer, she might have profited financially in the short term. But what if her employer found out? Would Raquel have kept her job? And what about her future job prospects? More important to Raquel were her conscience and self-respect. “A good name is to be chosen rather than great wealth; to be respected is better than silver and gold,” says Proverbs 22:1. [1]

As you can see applying this bible counsel in Raquels life proved to be of great benefit for her. Raquel could been dishonest, and she may have benefitted in the short -term. But what about the long term? Iher boss would have heard about this she could have lost her job. She would been out of money and unable to supprt her family. Imagine how this bible principle could apply to the billions of people on the earth today. If everyone applied this bible principle in their lives, the wourld would not b so corrupt. Imagine also if kids were honest to their parents. The stress that the parents feel when their own children lie to them. Imagine how relieved and stress-free the parents will be by knowingat their kids are honest with them. Honesty in general would help the friendships to stay alive, marriages, jobs, families and many other relationships. As you can see, the bible is relevant and can help many in their day to day life.

ImFairlyLiberal

Con

ImFairlyLiberal forfeited this round.
Eli01

Pro

Due to the fact that this round was meant for rebuttal, and also due to the fact that there is nothing in need of a rebuttal, please extend my arguments.
ImFairlyLiberal

Con

ImFairlyLiberal forfeited this round.
Eli01

Pro

Eli01 forfeited this round.
ImFairlyLiberal

Con

ImFairlyLiberal forfeited this round.
Eli01

Pro

Eli01 forfeited this round.
ImFairlyLiberal

Con

ImFairlyLiberal forfeited this round.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
It has been so long, I thought that I forfeited by accident. lol
Posted by Esiar 2 years ago
Esiar
Considering there are 2,000,000,000 Christians, the Bible is very relevant...
The best-selling book in the world...
Translated in tons of languages...
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
Hi Hope my opponent is ok. They did not simply type "I accept." in Round 1. I hope he or she can continue to debate this topic.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
And you have to put the definition in Round 1, not just the comment section. That'll make it official.
Posted by Miv_Tu 2 years ago
Miv_Tu
You need to define the term relevant. Otherwise no one is going to take this. The term relevant, in and of itself, is too ambiguous and general.
Posted by majesta6 2 years ago
majesta6
I wish you luck and will vote for you as soon as someone does con.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
I may be interested in playing devil's advocate here but I'd need more time to consider.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
Excuse this...[ G2;reləvənt ]... in my last comment.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
relevant
[ G2;reləvənt ]
ADJECTIVE

synonyms: pertinent " applicable " apposite " material " apropos
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Very good debate! I wish you the best of luck! The Bible is VERY much relevant in today's society. :)