NKJVPrewrather
emsiblook

Is the Bible a good book to read?

NKJVPrewrather has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

NKJVPrewrather

Pro

This debate is basically about whether the Bible is a good book to read, not whether it is the Good Book to read. Con may go first.
emsiblook

Con

If you mean as a book to follow and believe in; I don't think so. if you believe in the stories of the Bible, God is the most evil, sadistic murderer in existence, and yet he is painted as if we should worship him. So to follow and take in the teachings of the Bible in would be crazy to me.

For example:

- He kills a man for refusing to impregnate his brother's widow - Genesis 38:9-10.
- God demands you kill your wife and children for worshipping other gods - Deuteronomy 13:6-10 (what if you are a wife or child, do you kill yourself?)
- God kills half a million people - 2 Chronicles 13:15-18
- God kills 50,000 people for peeking into the ark of the covenant - 1 Samuel 6:19
- 3000 people forced to kill each other for inventing a god - Exodus 32
- God drowns the whole earth. - Genesis 7:21-23
- God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them. - Numbers 16:41-49

As a piece of horror fiction, I would say yes, it is a good book to read. The horror element is all there is to it for me though. There are so many plotholes and little to no character development.

No but joking aside, I have read it and it is quite interesting; as a book to study objectively.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

I guess my question is what about judge not, and all of that. Love, tolerance, justice, aren't those good things? What about racial unity?
emsiblook

Con

The Bible may preach that you should do good things; but it also preaches that you should do terrible things. Furthermore, the God of the Bible himself goes against his own teachings! In all of the good things said in the Bible, it would be foolish to ignore all the equally bad parts of the Bible and claim that the Bible is a 'good' book. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'is it a good book to read'; in terms of morality).

For example, God definitely doesn't seem to preach love, tolerance and justice when he literally states that we should hit children against stones.
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalms 137:9)

God teaches misogyny, therefore not equality; "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent." (1 Timothy 2:12)

God promotes slavery - which is really not equality or justice; "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel." (1 Peter 2:18)

Murder... what ever happened to 'judge not'? - "Do not allow a sorceress to live." (Exodus 22:18)

Also, no respect for other religions. Anyone who is not Christian must die; "Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the Lord your God must die. In this way you will purge the evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 17:12)

There are Bible quotes that suggest that it is against racism - (Acts 10:28). However, God himself is racist and favours certain countries over others, as suggested below.
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Hosea 13:16)
Hear this word which the LORD has spoken against you, sons of Israel, against the entire family which He brought up from the land of Egypt: "You only have I chosen among all the families of the earth; Therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities." (Amos 3:1-2)

None of these verses represent love, tolerance or justice; in fact the opposite is true. The Bible is the most contradictory set of laws ever to be written. I would hope that children especially are be kept away from the Bible until they reach an age at which they naturally understand what is right and wrong.

It should never be followed as a moral guidance because The Bible can't even practice what it preaches. It promotes good, but also evil, unthinkable acts.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

God and the Bible allow bad things, but don't cause them. Allowation is not causation by ommission. The Bible also mentions things that are not even allowed such as rape as part of human suffering in a lost world, but never supports it. Wars were often allowed due to idolatry, prostitution, and child sacrifice. Jesus being tortured to death for ouyr salvation is about love, not hate.
emsiblook

Con

My question to you is, why does God allow war, why does he allow suffering in the first place? If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why didn't he create a perfect world in the first place where no bad things happen? Instead, he created a world of evil and suffering, where people have to worship God and repent for not being as perfect as him, to avoid an eternity in hell. Even then only a few people are allowed into heaven. And yet, with his endless powers, he allowed this world to happen. And this is our fault? So we suffer the consequences for what God has allowed to happen.

Why did Jesus need to get tortured to death in the first place? Because of Adam and Eve? But why was *that* allowed to happen?
Also, idolatory, prostitution and child sacrifice shouldn't even exist in the first place. Allowing war to punish these acts doesn't make sense when he created these concepts in the first place.

Allowation is equivalent to causation if the person doing the 'allowing'; 1. is able to prevent the thing from happening, 2. intended it, and 3. made it more likely to happen. God is perfectly able to prevent it from happening, he intended it *and* made it more likely to happen. According to the Bible, God made everything exactly as it is for a specific reason; he knows everything that has and will happen, and has control over everything.
So, my question stands. Allowing evil to happen is as bad as causing it, because he has complete control over what happens. Why does he let it happen?

Does he let it happen just so he can make us worship him? Just so that we can be blamed for little slip-ups in our everyday life and be sent to hell if we don't fall at his feet? Sounds like a twat.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

God gave us free will. It starts in the Garden of Eden, and goes on from there. God does allow war, but does not cause it. People are strawmanning God. Don't think Christians and Muslims are actually supposed to kill each other. Jesus is the God of Love.
emsiblook

Con

God gave us free will? But that doesn't account for all the natural disasters occurring, or all the hunger and disease that is strife in the world.
Even the evils that people commit, there are consequences for these evils. But these consequences might not be felt by the evildoers, instead they are felt by innocent people who have to suffer someone else's sins.
How is that just?

Why can't God protect us from undeserved evil?

I'm going to let Hume have this one, as he explains it so well.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- David Hume (1776, paraphrasing Epicurus c. 300 BC)"

If evil is not *supposed* to happen, then why is it happening? What's stopping God from using his limitless power to protect his children?
Posted by emsiblook 3 weeks ago
emsiblook
@Autistic_Spider - I started to argue why the book isn't a good book to read, and then Pro clarified that he was referring to the book as being a good source of guidance, i.e. "I guess my question is what about judge not, and all of that." I mean that's what I assumed from it. So I argue that it isn't a good book to read because God is not a good role model etc.

Though I see your point, considering the book for its own sake deserves more attention; the original question is a good one. I'm not sure if Pro meant to ask that though. However I will cover it a bit in round 5.
Posted by Autistic_Spider 3 weeks ago
Autistic_Spider
I think you guys are arguing a different topic... 'god' is irrelevant, what about the book? Is it a good book to read? I think if someone were to debate either side they should have read the whole thing.
Posted by canis 4 weeks ago
canis
Its good to read anything... If you think a book it is a waste of time..Read another one...
Posted by Autistic_Spider 4 weeks ago
Autistic_Spider
From an anthropologist's perspective, yes, the Christian/Jew bibles have value but so do other records of ancient texts.