Is the Bible misogynist?

The BOP is on the person who accepts this debate.

In this debate, I will argue that the Bible is not misogynist.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Argument
Round 3-4: Rebuttal

misogyny - hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women, or prejudice against women.

(Note: When citing Bible verses, NIV or KJV would be fine)

I accept the debate.

Let me begin first by proving that the Bible has a rather high view of women.
Argument 1: Biblical Creation
To begin with, let me first state that both man and women were created equally as both were created in God’s image as stated in Genesis 1:27, So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Both sexes were given the same status whereas if you look at the teachings of Muhammad, he believed that women were created as inferior to men as shown in Surah 4:34 Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other. In addition, throughout creation week, God has deemed his creation to be “good”. However, when he sees that Adam is lonely, he deems that it is not “good” in Genesis 2:18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him”. This shows that man alone portraying women as a necessity in his good creation.

However, God’s creation will not remain good forever. Eve, tempted by the serpent, ate fruit from the forbidden tree in the Garden of Eden and has convinced Adam to follow in her actions. Technically speaking, it is Eve’s fault or more accurately, Adam and Eve’s fault for the fall of man. However, notice in the scripture, the Bible never refers to the original sin as Eve’s sin or Adam and Eve’s sin, but as Adam’s sin pinning the blame on Adam where in reality it was Adam and Eve. For example in 1 Corinthians 15:21–22, 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

Argument 2: The Laws of the Old Testament

If the laws of the Old Testament were to be compared to other ancient laws of the day, it can be seen that women were treated more equal. For example, the punishment for adultery is the death of both the male and female Leviticus 20:10, If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

There are also some cases where a law favors the women. For example, if a woman makes a rash vow to marriage, the vow can be excused by law if the father or husband does not allow it. However, there was no such exception for men in such situations. Numbers 30:1-8

Argument 3: Important women of the Bible.

Evidence exists in the Bible showing how women aren’t spiritually inferior to the opposite sex. For instance, in Genesis 25:22-23 where Rebekah inquires about her two children, it is seen that women can approach the Lord freely without a male. There were also women who are referred to as prophets and command the same respect as their male counterparts such as Miriam (Exodus 15:20 Then Miriam the prophetess……….) and Huldah (2 Chron. 34:22 So Hilkiah and those whom the king had sent went to Huldah the prophetess…….).

Deborah also had importance in the Bible as a female judge. It is shown that it was Deborah who had lead Isreal to victory against Sisera in Judges 4. It is worthy to note that in that chapter, God commands Barak through Deborah to lead the Isrealite army against the enemy. Because Barak refuses to go to battle unless Deborah accompanies him in Judges 4:8 Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go” because he believes that God is with Deborah.

I’m running out of time so I’ll hurry up. It is also worthy of note that Jesus had a high view of women. He performed miracles for women as he did men and was also not afraid to approach women to spread the Gospel despite their low status with society. He did not care about their social standing but rather saving souls. For example, he approached and spoke with a Samaritan woman at the well despite the fact that Samaritans were looked down upon. (John 4)\

Overall I have proven that the Bible does not have a misogynistic view of women but rather a high view. An article in the London times has come to the same conclusion.
(Note: you must have a subscription to view the full article)

I await Pro’s response.

Source: The Holy Bible

64bithuman forfeited this round.

This is rather dissappointing but I'll give Pro next round to post his argument.

Sorry for missing a round, I’ve just been so busy with work. Having just lost my entire debate to a power failure, you must forgive me if I’m a bit scattered! I’ll do my best to rewrite my arguments.

Women are inherently created weaker through the symbolic Genesis story. Men are created directly by god via the dirt, women, on the other hand, are created from a man, that is, by a rib, and they are created later, and specifically because man wants a partner. Eve then causes the fall of mankind by tempting Adam with the forbidden fruit. I’d like to add that Eve did not exist – that much is scientifically and historically certain. This was a malicious fabrication. This frankly fairly silly story is used all throughout the bible to slander and attack all of womankind, to call them weak or stupid, just as Adam’s mistake is used to call mankind ‘fallen’.

Poor Eve is then cursed violently by god, from Gen. 3:16-17, “Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life…”

C1: Biblical Law

The Bible is packed with sexist laws and guidelines. It’s even in the Ten Commandments themselves, in Exodus 20:17, “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.” It just lumped a wife in with slaves, oxen, and donkeys as possessions!

Take Exodus 22:18, “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” Which caused tens of thousands of brutal deaths and countless floggings, fines, and banishments in the Great Witch Craze from about 1450 to 1700. This was one of the unfortunate links between Catholics and Protestants: The Catholics burned their witches at the stake, the Protestants hung them. This was all done according to one ridiculous, sexist verse. The Church was out for any woman who got the unlucky branding of ‘witch’. Who knows how many epileptic or mentally challenged woman were called witches and executed? Historians Scarre and Callow say that the “typical witch was the wife or widow of an agricultural labourer or small tenant farmer, and she was well known for a quarrelsome and aggressive nature.”

Or take the bizarre, almost fanatical laws for women:

“…If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.” “But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days.” Leviticus 12:5 and Leviticus 12:2 – in which the rules stipulate longer waiting times for female births.

And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean…” Lev. 15:19, and it goes on and on like this.

And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.” Lev. 20:18

Or a selection of New Testament sexism:

“But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.” 1 Corinthians 11:3

For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.” 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.” Ephesians 5:22.

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.” 1 Peter 3:1-2

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.” 1 Timothy 2:9-15.

This is the worst of the NT sexism. This is feminism 101. It is tied back to Genesis; the woman is to blame, and therefore all she can hope for in this life is to shut up, walk around ‘shamefaced’ and dressed plainly, and perhaps, maybe, just maybe, one day she “shall be saved in childbearing”. This is so offensive to me – and I know anecdotal evidence is not to be accepted, but I’ve worked with battered women before, and to read this kind of stuff makes me want to take a shower. It’s really disgusting stuff.

C2: Biblical Stories

“But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go. Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light. And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold. And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon a donkey, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.” Judges 19.

The story of the man who sends his female slave out to be violated all night long so as to avoid a hostile crowd. He is not punished for this action. There are more such stories, but I’ll just leave this one here as an example.

King James Bible

NothingSpecial99 forfeited this round.

Con has now missed a round, so I guess that makes us about even. To keep us fair I won't post anything else, just refer voters to the arguments listed above.

Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Con (Conduct, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Ff

[*Reason for removal*] (1) It's unclear why the voter included arguments in his vote, as both debaters presented arguments in the debate. (2) Both debaters forfeited a round, and therefore the forfeit alone is not a basis for allocating conduct.
Posted by 64bithuman 1 year ago
Had the same issue - don't use the word a$$ when describing a donkey.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
I now apologize for missing a round. DDO won't let me post my argument because it had profanities somewhere in my argument but doesn't show me where it is so I can fix it. It was probably a typo.
Posted by 64bithuman 1 year ago
I apologize for missing a round - I've been absolutely swamped with work lately.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
Correction in paragraph 1: *This shows that man alone is not sufficient in God's creation.
Posted by joetheripper117 1 year ago
This should be an easy win for 64bithuman.
Exodus 20:17
Exodus 21:7
Deuteronomy 22:28-29
Deuteronomy 22:20-21
Numbers 31:17-18
Leviticus 15: 19-31
Numbers 30:1-16
1 Corinthians 14:34
Colossians 3:18
Ephesians 5:22-24
1 Timothy 2: 11-15