hielispace
Supernova9

Is the Bible true?

Supernova9

hielispace

Con

The first round will merely be accepting the debate. Round 2 is opening statements, and then my and my opponent will go back and forth until the final round which will be closing arguments. Good luck to my opponent.
Supernova9

Pro

I accept this debate. May the best debater win.
hielispace

Con

For the Bible to be true, ALL of it has to be. It is claimed to have been written by an omniscient omnipresent omnipotent deity who is the creator of the universe. So it can't be wrong once. Genesis 1:2 states "Now the earth was astonishingly empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water." Water chemical compound is H2O, which is two hydrogen one oxygen. All of the oxygen in the universe was forged by fusing elements in stars, but stars weren't around until day 4. Therefore, water couldn't have existed before stars, by the bible clearly states that is was. Therefore, the bible is not true.
Supernova9

Pro

I will end this debate in 1 round. The words of the Bible that were told to Jesus is true for all the scientific information in it was true and was discovered hundreds of years later. However, the current Bible is not. The current bible was completed hundreds of years after the death of Jesus. The original one or part of it was lost I believe.
http://www.gotquestions.org...
While the original words that were brought down to Jesus were true, the Bible we have currently is not.
hielispace

Con

Positive claims require positive evidence. Your statement about Jesus has none, until you provide positive evidence that you are correct, your claim has no merit in this debate.
Supernova9

Pro

Okay, my claim about Jesus has no evidence. I completely agree with you. What about the scientific evidence? You already lost the debate. There is no way the scientific evidence that was in the Bible was by the hands of man because we didn't know any of that until very recently. Read through this and please explain how that information as found in the bible. https://www.livingwaters.com...
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com...
Please let me remind you that your argument has no merit. You are saying that water couldn't have existed before the stars because of lack of oxygen. Also, let me remind you that you called God omnipotent. If God decided whenever someone said "Hi," a star would explode, water would appear or someone would fly, it will happen. God does not need to adhere to the rules of chemistry nor physics. We do.
hielispace

Con

Fair enough I guess. But why wright a creation story that contradicts literally everything we know. Not a thing about the first chapter of the bible lines up anything science has found out. Even if science is wrong. Why make it look like the universe is 4.7 billion years old? Why wright about a flood that couldn't have happened?
Supernova9

Pro

Well, the universe IS 4.5 billion years old. The sun is 4.7 billion years old. There is evidence that the great flood has happened.
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.bibleinfo.com...
https://www.icr.org...
Perhaps science hasn't caughten up enough to explain the creation of the universe or we simply misinterpreted its meaning in the Bible.
hielispace

Con

hielispace forfeited this round.
Supernova9

Pro

I guess if you forfeited, there is no point for me to further support my argument.
Posted by Ultrixomnium 1 year ago
Ultrixomnium
There is a lot of controversy surrounding the Bible. There are those that take it literally, and those that believe it is up to interpretation, then there are those that mix the two. Another thing is that the bible has been translated and re-translated multiple times, so the interpretation, and facts in the book, are interpreted or mixed slightly.

I ask that you cancel the debate as with how history has changed the bible, it is moot point to debate whether it is truth or not.
Posted by OliIsOriginal 1 year ago
OliIsOriginal
Here is how i would argue if it were me in pro's shoes:

The seven day creation isnt a literal doctrine. It is correct in a SPIRITUAL sense but not in the sense of reality. It is a parable much like the ones Jesus told in public ae the Unmerciful Servant or the Sheep and the Goats.

It is more or less self explanatory that the stories are supposed to be metaphoric the only Christians who believe them as literal are the Creationists.

Most Christians understand this is just a parable just to teach us that God made the world and that all the things we see were created by God. It isnt saying that this story is LITERAL believe it or not a lot of the ANCIENTS denied its accuracy saying it was metaphoric.

Most of the people who were around by the time this story was written knew it was metaphorical. To them all it was, was stories meant to explain to them that God made the world. stars and all the things listed in the Creation story.

As for Adam and Eve that is just supposed to explain sin, humanity, man and woman, temptation to the readers of the Bible.

Most people who read understand this it is the minority that take them as literal and most of them are mentally unstable.

The only reason people believe it is true and this seems like loads of people is because the Bible has been read by milions of people. It is the best selling book of all time therefore it cannot be denied some people are going to take a wrong interpreation on it.

The more readers there are of something the more people will take it the wrong way. As the Bible is the best selling book in the world it can be expected that a load of peeps are going to say that its a literal story.
Posted by DeltaMed910 1 year ago
DeltaMed910
i think people shouldn't start debates that are so obviously biased and/or in their favor. DDOians should start debates to have intellectual debates in which we both learn from each other, not to have easy wins.
Posted by palmkrawler 1 year ago
palmkrawler
There is not enough information for form a debate.

True about what??

Some of the Bible is based on actual places and some events that have been validated.
But, other stuff in the Bible is just fictitious dribble and of course is not meant to be accepted as reality.

So, you need to clarify your question.
Posted by dian_kencanasari 1 year ago
dian_kencanasari
The bible is wrong. It would be so hard to prove it otherwise.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
hielispaceSupernova9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff a round, so conduct to Pro.