jesussaves
The_Immortal_Emris

Is the Christian God Worthy of Worship?

jesussaves

Pro

I believe that the Christian God is worthy of my worship and everyone elses. You talk about him being very evil. My question would be "What standard are you going by?" Who defines right and wrong? Government? Culture? Individual? If that is the case, anyone can justify themselves. God is above all the law. He made us, he can do what he wants. Who are you to judge him? Everything he did had a purpose.
The_Immortal_Emris

Con

Sure, I suppose I'll argue this with Pro, if only for the fun of it.

As am agnostic, neo-pagan deist, I have no use for the gods of others, but I will offer a theologian's perspective on why the Christian narrative of a monotheistic deity is not only undeserving of worship, but is also depicted as a petulant, genocidal and fickle absentee father figure.

Since Pro has used their first round to offer an argument, I will also offer a short argument.

1. The Christian god is brutal to his followers he kills them for burning incense in his honor -

"And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not." Leviticus 10:1

2. He is a fickle master god 'repents' his choice to create life, so he murders the world.

"And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." Genesis 6:7

3. The Christian god is a merciless, cold-hearted murderer who kills anyone who questions their orders, so much for free will -

"And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp."

4. The Christian god kills children before they even choose to offend him, simply because he doesn't like the way they look -

"And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him." Genesis 38:7

But that's not all, he also murders people for masturbation.

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also." Genesis 38: 9-10

5. The Christian god is guilty of biological warfare and genocide by disease, specifically the torturous disease of dysentery. -

"Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day." 2 Chronicles 21:1 14 - 5

6. He considers his spiteful murder of a non-believer's infant child to be akin to "taking away dung"

"Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone. Him that dieth of Jeroboam in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat: for the LORD hath spoken it. Arise thou therefore, get thee to thine own house: and when thy feet enter into the city, the child shall die." 1 Kings 14: 10 - 12

Not to mention the slaughter of the fist born of Egypt.

These examples are just a few of countless instances in the holy books of the Christian faith, when the god figure demonstrated he was undeserving of worship.

If you would like to take the argument a step further, we can also examine the horror, genocide, abuse, murder, looting, raping, killing and intolerance which has been perpetuated in the name of the Christian god, fully endorsed by his Church and the various Popes over the centuries.

The Pope, for my protestant friends, is the Vicar of Christ. He is literally the earthly mouthpiece of the Christian god, he is considered infallible under the Catholic, Christian tradition, the first Christian tradition, arguably. (though orthodoxy is equal in age)

Pope Stephen VI - Was Pope from 22 May 896 to his death in 897. He did not last long.

He spent his first and only year as the Vicar of Christ, digging up, and mutilating the preceding pope, whose body he de-fingered, tried posthumously, then threw the body into the river. Remember, infallible.

Pope John XII - not only was he a violent warmonger, he was also a philanderer who was murdered by his lover's husband when the man caught the two in bed together. Remember, infallible.

And my favorite, Pope Urban VI - a torturer, who murdered and tormented those who opposed his election. Remember, infallible. There's so much evil in Urban's reign, it needs a full wiki page to detail: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Finally, these are all reasons why (if it existed) the Christian god is not fit for worship. The lucky truth is, it doesn't exist.

These stories and cautionary tales of individuals destroyed utterly for deigning to ask "why", are exactly what they appear to be, fear based propaganda.

The old testament was used for centuries by the Jewish ruling class to control their populace. The excesses of the Pharisees and Sadducees was all to apparent when one reads the New Testament.

But even after the events of the New Testament, the Christian god proves to be absent. The god who once slew babies in their cribs for their father's sins, now sits quietly as the world spins, and his "followers" pervert the very message the "messiah" figure died to send us.

1. "What standard are you going by?" - The standard of secular humanism.

2. "who defines right and wrong" - humanity. Society.

3. "Anyone can justify themselves" - and just like the justifications offered for genocide by the apologists of the Christian god, those justifications are rejected by humanity, and society. Charles Manson justified his murders to himself, but those justifications are not enough to sway society's opinion.

4. "He made us, he can do what he wants." - Then we are naught but slaves and he is naught but a greedy tyrant who needed weak and brittle followers he could cow into "worship" out of fear of death and retribution, rather than love and devotion. Your god is a tyrant. (if he were real) One should not worship a tyrant, they should fight against them.

5. "Who are you to judge him."

I do not believe he exists. I do not judge an imaginary friend for the actions perpetrated in his name. I blame the religion for allowing it.

To entertain Pro's mythology, If he does exist, I am the product of what he created. Humans alone possess the freedom of will necessary to judge a god. I will not live what few years of life I have in fear of the wrath of an absentee father.

6. "Everything he did had a purpose." - Yes, the purpose was the propagation of a mythology via fear and indoctrination. It worked pretty well.
jesussaves

Pro

jesussaves forfeited this round.
The_Immortal_Emris

Con

Since my opponent has offered no counter-arguments or points, please vote Con!
jesussaves

Pro

jesussaves forfeited this round.
The_Immortal_Emris

Con

The_Immortal_Emris forfeited this round.
Posted by Adam2isback 1 month ago
Adam2isback
Immortal, you're dumb.
Posted by The_Immortal_Emris 2 years ago
The_Immortal_Emris
I'm still not even sure what you want to debate.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that I think you non-existent god is in any way evil. It's difficult for something which doesn't exist to be morally good or bad.

The Christian god isn't real, so why would I debate about whether or not people should worship it?

People eat gluten free food even though it only benefits those with gluten allergies, but who am I to expose their delusion?

People do stupid things and believe stupid things because faith and ignorance make the hard choices so much easier.

So tell me, how am I supposed to argue that your magical, invisible, imaginary celestial dictator is undeserving of worship, when he doesn't exist to begin with?
The_Immortal_Emris
How does one debate upon something one finds to be a delusion of mortality.