Sniper_Man_4567
fithysirrra

Is the Confederate Flag racist?

Sniper_Man_4567

Con

This argument will start with the first round as a 'I accept' round. No argument shall be made during this round only opening statements of your position. I believe that the Confederate Flag does not stand for any racist intentions for most of the people who fly it; it is a sign of heritage, state power, peoples freedom, and a force of showing that citizens can speak what they want, when they want.

Vocabulary:
Racist: having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another
fithysirrra

Pro

I believe that the confederate flag is very racist because of its historical connections to the slavery days, and the fact that many of the people who fly it nowadays are racist in one way or another.
Sniper_Man_4567

Con

Thank you for your opinion.

Statement 1:
First off, the Civil War, in which the Confederate Flag was originated from, was not solely based on slavery and how Whites were racist against the Blacks or any other race. It was fought over how the North were forcing the South to pay protective tariffs for the new industries, and how the South was being ignored in the sense of how they wanted the nation to run. Slavery was actually a small issue in the big scheme of the Civil War. It was actually just used as a recruitment tactic because Abraham Lincoln knew if he supported the freedom of slaves, he would gain more support in his Union Army.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Statement 2:
The Confederate Flag, the one that we see the most of, is not even the official Confederate Army Flag. It was actually the battle flag of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of North Virginia. It was never the official flag. So those who associate the Confederate Flag with it standing for the Confederate States of America are completely wrong.
http://www.pbs.org...

Statement 3:
Most people who fly the flag actually have no racial intention embedded within it. I fly the flag and I have no prejudice against any one race. Everyone, in my eyes, are equal. Now, I know there are some people who are racist and do fly the Confederate Flag with racial intention; but I know for a fact about 99% of the people I know who fly the flag are not racist at all. And there are also other flags that I find offensive that others fly while they say the Confederate Flag is offensive to them, so they ask me to take it down and completely ignore me when I ask them to take their own flag down.
fithysirrra

Pro

fithysirrra forfeited this round.
Sniper_Man_4567

Con

Sniper_Man_4567 forfeited this round.
fithysirrra

Pro

fithysirrra forfeited this round.
Sniper_Man_4567

Con

Sniper_Man_4567 forfeited this round.
fithysirrra

Pro

fithysirrra forfeited this round.
Posted by Sniper_Man_4567 1 year ago
Sniper_Man_4567
@Reformist

"If that was true why don't they raise the Nazi flag in Berlin? 6 million jews dead? NO your looking at the bad parts of Nazi history look at the good parts!!"

What good parts exactly happened with the Nazis in their history? And what do you mean don't look at the bad parts? Their whole operation was bad from start to beginning. Hitler used to fear to establish himself as Fuhrer of Germany and than he made the Nazi party to keep him in power. He massacred 6 million Jews because he was racist. How dare you compare the Nazis and all of them with the Confederate and the Confederacy. These are completely separate points and have nothing remotely similar about them. Unless I'm wrong, we didn't commit genocide among one race and we didn't kill them for pleasure (meaning the slaves). So next time you want to make a point, keep it context Reformist.

Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice day.
Posted by Reformist 1 year ago
Reformist
" Do you think Planned Parenthood is racist just because Margaret Sanger, it's founder, created it for the purpose of exterminating the African American population"

No because the goals of the organization has changed

The meaning of the Confederate flag can never change
Posted by Reformist 1 year ago
Reformist
Literally Pro doesn't have to open his mouth

Just post all the videos and pictures of the KKK using the flag

Theres millions of those

Also psh don't give me "its my heritage" Bullsh*t

If that was true why don't they raise the Nazi flag in Berlin? 6 million jews dead? NO your looking at the bad parts of Nazi history look at the good parts!!

Lel
Posted by Dkice4 1 year ago
Dkice4
I would like the Contender (Pro) to consider the fact that the American flag has been used by white supremacist groups in the past, such as the Ku Klux Klan. Therefore, anything said against the Confederate flag can be just as easily applied to the American flag. Also, understand that when the "Civil" War ended, the Confederate leaders could not be put into prison or executed, because they did what the colonists did- break away from tyranny. Putting them on trial for execution or prison simply would not hold up in court.
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
Sniper_Man_4567 is correct in every sense of the word. His argument is correct and he has very valid points!
Posted by caught_u_mirin74 1 year ago
caught_u_mirin74
Do you think Planned Parenthood is racist just because Margaret Sanger, it's founder, created it for the purpose of exterminating the African American population?
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Just so you know, only humans can be racist.