PatriotPerson
godsend221

Is the Confederate flag hateful / racist?

PatriotPerson

Con

I believe that the Confederate (CSA) flag is not hateful, nor is it racist. My opponent will argue otherwise.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Further Rebuttals and Concluding Statements

http://upload.wikimedia.org...
godsend221

Pro

The confederate flag is a symbol of the confederacy which supported slavery. To African-Americans this flag represents slavery, Jim Crow, hatred, racism, and discrimination. This question is a subjective one where any person may have a different but equally valid opinion. I'm giving you mine. I'm a white guy from Florida, born and bred in the south. I don't own a confederate flag but I had ancestors on both sides of my family fight for the confederacy. When I see the flag I think of both dixie and racism. We can't escape our racist history anymore than we can escape the current race divide still present in society.
PatriotPerson

Con

Many confederates didn't believe in slavery, they just thought it was a necessary way of their life and they didn't want that way of life taken away. Thus, not all confederates were racist.

For my second argument this round, I will point out that the flag was simply the CSA's flag. It was patriotic.
godsend221

Pro

godsend221 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Con

'Course you forfeited.
godsend221

Pro

godsend221 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Con

PatriotPerson forfeited this round.
godsend221

Pro

The flag represents the CSA and the CSA was racist by enslaving blacks and it's people were racist for allowing it. Necessary way of life? It wasn't necessary it was financially convenient. Patriotism can be good or bad. In this case it was bad.
Posted by PatriotPerson 2 years ago
PatriotPerson
Both are false.
Posted by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
The Nazis had a goal of hate but the CSA had a goal of peace
Posted by Rasputin45 2 years ago
Rasputin45
Well no, it's just a flag. The flag's intended purpose probably wasn't for it to be hateful or racist but that doesn't stop the confederacy's drive towards a country where it was possible to own slaves.
Posted by PatriotPerson 2 years ago
PatriotPerson
No.
Posted by dmussi12 2 years ago
dmussi12
Just a question: Would you say that the Nazi Swastika flag is not a symbol of Antisemitism but of German pride and nationalism?