Unicornlady
Arganger

Is the LGBTQ community wrong?

Unicornlady has forfeited round #3.

Unicornlady

Con

This is basically a debate for the LGBTQ community acceptance which I am for in this debate.
The rounds will be:
1. Acceptance
2. Argument
3. Rebuttal
Arganger

Pro

Unicornlady

Con

I want to start off by saying, we look at America to give the good for the greatest amount of people. That implies making sure you can give the best to the most amount of people. The LGBTQ community is disliked for mainly two reasons. Because of religion, and because of discomfort with the idea.
To talk about religion, nobody says you have to follow everything your religion says to stand by it in a perfect way. Yes, the bible says things like "Marriage should be between a women and a man.", but it also says to love all. So even if you may not like the idea of same sex marriage or the LGBTQ community, don't bring them down because of how you feel. You don't have to completely support them, just let them make their own choices without disruption.
The idea of the LGBTQ community has brought numerous people to an uncomfortable state. Some people say it's unnatural. What is so unnatural about feelings? This is how someone's emotions stand. If feelings are natural then surely this is. You can't be forced or told to be gay, bi, trans, or so many more. Classes to change someone's sexuality has surely failed all included. Many have come out to their parents and their parents can express dissatisfaction. Even if their child knew they would be unhappy. Some people try to change themselves because of their unhappy families but it has never worked. Love is love. People have to understand that treating someone like their human and they have all the rights that others do, is the greatest freedom you can give a human being. USA, Land of the free, remember? This is like racism. People weren't allowed the same rights because of who they are. Is that not unfair? Imagine being denied the rights of others all because of who you are. Something that can barely be controlled. And most people don't agree with this because they've never been exposed to it. You really have to understand from a certain point of view before you can judge. As most people know, former President Obama was against same sex marriage and the whole thing until he was exposed to it by society. The people around him taught him that it's okay and people should have the same rights. If you can convince the PRESIDENT of that, surely you can speak out about this problem to many more people so they can understand.
Arganger

Pro

First of all, the idea of the LGBTQ community being disliked because of religion is not quite accurate, though I think you understand "nobody says you have to follow everything your religion says to stand by it in a perfect way. Yes, the bible says things like "Marriage should be between a women and a man.", but it also says to love all. " I wish that more Christians in the world would remember that God told us to love all, and that a man loving a man or a woman loving a woman in that way, is no worse a sin than the others.

But you misunderstand "So even if you may not like the idea of same sex marriage or the LGBTQ community, don't bring them down because of how you feel. You don't have to completely support them, just let them make their own choices without disruption." That can depend on the extent, lets give an example, remember that case a while ago with the christian baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple? That is an example of someone not wanting to get involved with the LGBTQ because it violates their own morals, but because someone else decided it was disruption, he was sued. That's one of the reasons many people are against LGBTQ rights, because once laws are in place against discrimination, it can cause issues with people being legally forced to choose between the law and their own morals.

It would be better for something like marriage if it wasn't controlled by the government and was purely a private affair (with no one being forced to take part) as then no one would have to vote for or against it. No one, weather they are directly affected or not, wants to vote for something they disagree with.

The thing about LGBTQ I would argue against when it comes to it's very existence, is love is a choice- attraction isn't- but love is. In fact love is one of the hardest choices to make because you have to give up something of yourself to keep it up, you have to care. The difference here is you can be attracted to anyone at all and it's out of your control, it's passive. In fact I would say I've been attracted to men and women before, and most people have, but you don't love everyone you are infatuated with. Love is much more complicated and much harder.

I disagree with "Classes to change someone's sexuality" (assuming you refer to conversion therapy or similar) because they try to control what no one can, attraction, and is based on similar principles as applied behavior analysis, which is known it be very abusive so I doubt that conversion therapy is better at all.

"Imagine being denied the rights of others all because of who you are" I don't have too, I was denied any kind of accommodation in middle school (Basically being kicked out for me) despite having several disabilities including being autistic which is my very neurological system. But not all things the LGBTQ community fights for are rights in the first place, some are (For instance banning conversion therapy or teens coming out just to be kicked out of their home are both about rights) but definitely not all.

Their are currently more than two publicly LGBTQ students in my class (There are more but I cannot remember what the others called themselves) one is gender fluid whatever on earth that means (She never explained that to me) and the other is bi. Honestly I cannot stand the bi one she drives me nuts, but I actually like and enjoy being around the gender fluid human. That is called respectful disagreement. The first time I said I was against LGBTQ the entire class almost cussed me out, so I can say with confidence around here they have plenty of support.

One of my own gripes with the LGBTQ is when they push it on children (especially common with trans) when I was little I wanted to be a boy, I didn't like girl things at all and truly meant it. That was because I wasn't like other kids girl or boy, but I decided I must be a boy if I'm not like the girls, as it turned out I was different but NOT boy, just autistic. I worry that if I was born later I would have been encouraged with the idea of being a boy, and confused as heck by the time I was a teenager. lesson here being that regardless of how you feel about it, children have no clue about sexuality.
Posted by Arganger 12 months ago
Arganger
I knew when I accepted the debate, but thanks to memory issues, I forgot, what is the difference between the argument and rebuttal?
Posted by Unicornlady 12 months ago
Unicornlady
The person has already been chosen. you have to join before someone else does
Posted by Tmacdagreat 12 months ago
Tmacdagreat
how do you accept?
Posted by Unicornlady 12 months ago
Unicornlady
Great! okay
Posted by Arganger 12 months ago
Arganger
Have what?
Posted by Unicornlady 12 months ago
Unicornlady
Is it wrong to have them in America
Posted by Arganger 12 months ago
Arganger
Sadly I cannot accept the next one because of this one, want to do this one anyway, pretending you put you position as pro?
Posted by Arganger 12 months ago
Arganger
Okay, I actually read that as you for LQBTQ rights in the first place. But please answer, "Wrong about what?" in your next instalment.
Posted by Unicornlady 12 months ago
Unicornlady
shoot haha! I'm new to this site I thought I was fighting FOR LGBTQ rights! I am sorry I think I have to cancel this
Posted by Bayple 12 months ago
Bayple
Wrong about what?