Is the Ouiga Board Satanic/Spiritualism?

If you know what a Ouiga board is you know that it may just be a risk to play it. It is sold in toy stores...concealed as a fun board game and sold on Ebay for $10-20. There have been stories, and even YouTube videos, of paranormal and mysterious happenings that occur while you play. Some people believe that the boards are controlled by out-of-this-world spirits who know answers to the questions you ask, while others believe humans are the ones who control the boards without knowing it. Whichever one it is, the game is strange, mysterious, and can be frightening or even harmful. I think it is evil and a temptation disguised as something fun to do therefore I do not play it or have it. My opponent, whoever accepts, will argue that the Ouiga game isn't harmful or controlled by spirits, and why that is. This is difficult to do because nobody can prove spirits are even real--that is, unless I can prove that the Ouiga board is Satanic...!

1st round acceptance.

I would disagree on the position of any inanimate object being controlled by spirits.
My reasons:

Lack of empirical evidence.
The internet is a very easy way to propagate false information, including spirit orbs, false quotes from famous people, conspiracy theories, and of course, satanic occurrences.
Lack of evidence of the supernatural in the first place.
Easier explanations that require less assumptions, e.g. set up videos, pranks, and the crazy people who would be willing to do this kind of stuff and believe it can get into all sorts of delusions of what happens.
No mechanism to explain how it would cause these kinds of occurrences to happen.
No way to determine real occurrences to definitively fake occurrences.

As I am taking the opposite side to 'they are real and [possibly] controlled by satan/demons/spirits,' I take that there is no reason to make that assertion.
This is to mean you have the burden of proof.

Are these agreeable terms?

If you know about Spirits you also know that they do not come up to you and say "I'm evil and I'm going to destroy anything good in your life, yes, I'm a spirit." They disguise themselves as a GOOD thing, not an evil thing, and they keep their intentions secret even while their goal is the same.

How can you know what, on the web, is true and false when it's the main source of gossip, news, and socialness and we're assuming most of it is false information? The happenings with Ouiga boards are common and similar. You can't doubt it's creepy because you can't explain how it happens! You say there's lack of evidence for the supernatural in the first place. But I argue that this IS evidence for the supernatural.
"No mechanism to explain how it would cause these kinds of occurrences to happen." You just proved my point.
"No way to determine real occurrences to definitively fake occurrences." How do you know? Have you played the game?

Define the burden of proof. Because we/you don't even know the real history of the Ouiga board, you are also equally given the burden of proof for your reasons the Ouiga board is not spiritual.

Okay so what I meant by the burden of proof was that it is logically impossible to say something doesn't exist, and certain claims are considered unfalsifiable. This means that for these kinds of claims, as they are impossible to disprove (e.g. we live in the matrix, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one true god, etc...) the burden is on the claimed to prove it true.
In this example, this involves some esoteric elements and general teleology. These kinds of claims are unfalsifiable, impossible to prove false.

However, like is said in my earlier argument, my reason for not accepting demon controlled ouiga boards is that there is a lack of evidence to suggest it is the case. I didn't mean that because we have other explanations I won't take it, just that there is no reason to do so.
I mean, we can talk for years to concoct thousands of different alternate explanations that are equally unfalsifiable. Anybody with some form of imagination can do such a thing. The issue is that all of these are contingent with our incomplete view of reality, but some are going to be mutually exclusive, and contradict each other. This issue is why the burden of proof argument exists. You do not accept unfalsifiable claims until given evidence, and therefore their oppositions 'there is no reason to suggest x' is taken until that time.

No offence, but half the way through the debate and all I have is some hearsay and possibly edited/set up youtube videos. It's quite unconvincing.

So therefore my position still stands. There is still no reason to believe ouiga boards are possessed by demons.

And one last little jab. Your comment that evil dresses itself up to look nice, maybe think about that for a bit, see if it causes any evaluation of certain things *cough* Yahweh *cough*

"The internet is a very easy way to propagate false information, including spirit orbs, false quotes from famous people, conspiracy theories, and of course, satanic occurrences." Well then, why should I believe what you say about the Ouiga board in the first place?

As a Christian I believe in God as well as the spiritual realms--which is much more intelligent, powerful, and enigmatic (the reason being that we dwell only in the physical world). I have a relationship with our Creator, and I believe that the Bible is God's letter to us and in it is the only path to light, truth, and freedom. So, inside the Bible there are many warnings of the Devil, and stories of what the devil has done.

Today: there are encounters, apart from the Ouiga game, of demonic persons and people who possess Satan inside them. There is no way you can deny what we call demons, who live in people as a form of the Devil and torment them. I also have friends who have encountered crazy incidents where, in one, an angel SAVED my friend from getting run over by a car. People have prayed for [healings] and the prayers have felt electric pulses and other unordinary feelings and happenings. This is a [even] modern example of evidence for the supernatural, not to mention the patterns in nature/creatures which show there is a Creator God. The Ouiga board is not a delusion unless you can disprove the supernatural such as demons and angels.

"No way to determine real occurrences to definitively fake occurrences." Well have you played the Ouiga board? Tell me what happens, since you're so sure it's fake. Here's a website:

Ah, the roadrunner tactic. "You tell me people lie, so how can I then believe you?" Do I seriously have to explain why that's really a childish and absurd argument?
The answer is simple - verify claims with other evidence!
Yes the bible talks about spirits and demons and gods and the like, but what you have to realise is that a holy book is a claim, not evidence. It is only when that book is verified to be contingent with reality and/or logically sound (depending on what is applicable) that it is considered confirmed. This means that a book is therefore not considered evidence on its own.

"Today there are encounters of demonic possessions"
Well, these have been called demonic possessions, but there is no reason for these to be such.
Instead of things like excorcisms and reading the bible, the best place to look into this would be a cognitive psychology textbook. People are affected by a large number of different variables, and are most likely to be to do with psychological disorders. These could include psychosis, multiple personality disorder (where one of the personalities acts in this way), and Narccistic personality disorder (causes the patient to do whatever it takes - including pretending to be a demon - to get attention) and schizophrenia. Just a few off the top of my head.
Here is no reason for this to be explained by spirits and possession, when brain chemistry is sufficient and much more useful. It helps treat a patient.
And trust me, as far a I know, no laws of physics have been broken in brains before. Chemicals interact in a completely normal and understandable manner in the human body, and follow the same laws. Nothing appears to be affecting them.

As for the angel incident, this will probably not be particularly convincing, but here I go.
We all have a slight amount of twitchiness. Have you ever seen a shadow, and turned around quickly, to see it was a newspaper or plastic bag in the wind? We all have.
Now this is something that came from evolution. The thing is, that this instinct can be wrong and harmless as many times as you like, better to be safe than sorry. But that one time, that one experience that the instinct saves your life, that can make you think your instincts were correct.
Now if you were to pair this up with someone religious, it could be very easy for someone to credit this close call to a spirit or angel. The brain, also in these situations experiences time differently. Adrenaline does that to you. This means there can be 'gaps' in the memory of the person's experience. The brain, for some reason, is also great at filling gaps in experience with 'filler' experiences. I'm not sure how these work, but it seems very similar to how dreaming works if I were to make a guess.
This can all add up to the appearance of a supernatural being during a stressful event. I would not be surprised if there were similar stories pertaining to the religions in other parts of the world too - oh wait, there are. There are countless stories of reincarnation in the east, memories of past lives and stuff.
When you mention healings, what specifically? Let me guess, spontaneous cancer remissions and the like. Yeah, those happen prayer or no prayer.
As for electrical pulses, that's one I've heard before, and it is intriguing. Not really educated in this area, but I would guess it has something to do with the sensory neurons and how they interact with each other. I may look that up at some point in the future.
As for patterns in nature, what do you mean? How do such patterns mean a god created the world?
As for animals, I guess you don't believe in evolution so that would be pointless to discuss further in this debate.

"The ouiga board is not a delusion"
I hope that wasn't an intentional strawman. In what way did I say that?
People can be mistaken without being delusional. Delusion is a psychological disorder, while being wrong is more likely to do with unsound reasoning and/or lack of correct information. Every human being is mistaken countless times throughout their life.

"Unless you can disprove the supernatural"
So my burden of proof argument that I spent several paragraphs explaining went over your head? Did you read it? I specifically explained that the supernatural is UNFALSIFIABLE. It is logically impossible to disprove it, in the same way as the Flying Spaghetti Monster is. To avoid contradicting beliefs, we do not accept such until presented sufficient evidence! Is this really that hard to understand?

What I meant by determining real from fake is that suppose they did exist, then how can you tell a prank from a real occurrence? How can you tell the legitimate video of demonic occurrences from some cracking special effects and editing?
And now onto your last point. My last point is very similar to this. How do I know if it is a real ouiga board? If it causes the demonic events you describe? How many suspected ouiga boards do I have to inspect to prove they aren't supernatural? One, two, three, ten, a hundred? How practical is this?

"If you're so sure about it"
Again, you are conflating "I am not convinced x is true" with "I am 100% sure x is false"

And really my lack of interest is to do with the fact that it is a pointless exercise.
Why waste my time on paying for some themed board game which has been claimed to have magic involved with it, if the best case scenario is I waste my money? Sounds silly to me.
On the other hand, if I were presented with a dare and were given the opportunity, I wouldn't be afraid of doing it.

The book's (Bible's) CLAIMS do have evidence FOR them, remember, and that is one reason why I believe in the Bible: because the happenings and prophesies are all proven true, even with modern day science!

Angels are not just things you see. They have DONE things. Supernaturally. This concerns Ouiga boards because, assuming they are controlled unusually, that the demons only DO things and you can't see it happening. All that famous atheistic people such as Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawkings can say, is "your hallucinating." Why doesn't modern science take care of that? if everyone 'seeing stuff' is hallucinating, (and it happens quite a lot), shouldn't they be taken in and treated as psychic? Or do we think of these hallucinations as part of their religions so we have to leave them alone?

BECAUSE we do not know the origin of Ouiga boards, how and why they were originally made, and by whom, you cannot base your argument on anything (what can you?). How does the Ouiga board work, then?

"The [bible's] claims do have evidence for them"
Like what? No such evidence has been presented.

"The happenings and prophecies proven true"
What like "people will mock you" "there will be wars" and "earthquakes will occur in various places"
These aren't prophecies. They're common sense predictions. It might as well have said "anyone who doesn't read this will die." It's common sense that everyone dies.

"Angels aren't things you see"
Well that's convenient. Like I said, just because it's contingent with reality, doesn't make it true.

"Atheistic people like Hawking and Dawkins just say you[']r[e] hallucinating"
Neither of these people are psychologists or neurologists. Now if a brain scan was performed on a person, and that it proved that they were hallucinating, would you accept that or say it really was an angel?

"Why doesn't modern science take care of that?"
Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea what you are suggesting here? Ugh...

The brain is a complex and mysterious organ that is consisted of about 100 billion neurons. It is not fully understood how every brain process works, and neurosurgery is a LAST RESORT.

Modern science isn't magic. Why doesn't god do it, he's supposed to be omnipotent!

"Because we do not know of the origin of ouija boards"
Following its commercial introduction by businessman Elijah Bond on July 1, 1890, the Ouija board was regarded as a harmless parlor game unrelated to the occult until American Spiritualist Pearl Curran popularized its use as a divining tool during World War I.

"How does it work then?"
Argument from ignorance fallacy.

At least one person in the group is dishonest.

But out of these two explanations, which is considered more rational by Occam's Razor? (The best explanation is the one with the least assumptions)

Assumptions you implied during the debate
-God exists
-god can communicate with man
-god is trustworthy
-god can relay that information correctly
-god did communicate with man
-the men god communicated with were only the ones who wrote the bible and Torah
-these men relayed information to their families correctly and honestly
-that information stayed unchanged through generations of word of mouth
-that information was then relayed correctly to the Torah and bible books respectively
-they have not been doctored or edited or have had any information added
-they were copied perfectly for centuries BY HAND
-the translation from Hebrew to Greek was done perfectly BY HAND
-the books were copied perfectly for centuries BY HAND
-the translation from Greek to English was done perfectly BUT only in the specific translation YOU and your denomination use
-demons exist
-demons have some form of attachment to ouija boards that is not explained in any part of the bible
-demons have the ability to affect our world while still being invisible
-demons can possess people
-demons do do these things
-demons don't do anything more than some creepy stuff
-angels exist
-angels can communicate with people
-an angel did communicate with your friend

My assumptions
-it is more likely that people are either lying or incorrect when they claim to have ouija board experiences
-spiritual experiences can be explained by psychology

Let's count shall we?
You: 23
Me: 2
Occam's razor shows that my argument is more rational.
Posted by spinosauruskin 2 years ago
No that wasn't what I meant. Just google argument from ignorance and see for yourself what that means.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
In this way con didn't defend his case (that the Ouiga board ISN'T controlled by supernatural beings) and, instead, con depended on my supposed "ignorance."
Posted by spinosauruskin 2 years ago
That wasn't needed. That's an argument from ignorance.
Con did not explain how the Ouiga board works...!
Vote Placed by Rhodesia79 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: In the end I have to say Pro proved his argument , but not by much.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Honestly wasn't a great debate from either side....not much evidence was given for either claim and no sources back up either claim...however, I give conduct to pro as con insulted Pro's religious beliefs needlessly in the "And one last little jab. Your comment that evil dresses itself up to look nice, maybe think about that for a bit, see if it causes any evaluation of certain things *cough* Yahweh *cough*" statement
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate digressed from Ouija boards to the false Biblical predictions. Anybody with a sound knowledge of history knows that Bible predictions are just a fantasy, the actual writers of the Bible knew nothing of the real future, all claims of prediction accuracy are post hoc fallacies and delusion. Back to Ouija boards, we pranked with them at parties, we know why all the odd occurrences happened, we planned them. Nothing unusual that we did not plan occurred. They were great for pranking, We had victims truly believing their dead friends/relatives were present. I can only go with Con here, Pro's arguments were fallacious and delusional.