Gruenenfelder
LeprechaunDances

Is the Purge a good idea?

Started: 10/24/2015 Category: Funny

Gruenenfelder

Pro

The film "The Purge" did amazing at the box office, though most (including myself) would argue it is a terrible film. Despite the fact that it wasn't a great film, do you think the Purge is a good idea? Do you think one night a year all crime should be made legal, or is this a bad idea? For the sake of argument, I am arguing for the Purge.
LeprechaunDances

Con

A Purge in retrospect may be a good idea, but think about it. Is crime going to stop outright because of a purge? There would be no difference in the crime rate. In fact the negative actions may actually influence formerly good citizens to commit crime. Causes of crime, Money, Drugs, Violence, etc, aren't going to go away because they were legal for a day. I look forward to a good debate with the opponent.
Gruenenfelder

Pro

The Purge: an annual event in which all crime is legal. Is it a good idea? I am going to prove it is a good one. The Purge would reduce crime drastically because if you want to commit a robbery, murder, or other crime, you have a night you can do it and not risk punishment. With the Purge, crime the rest of the year would reduce.

Since this debate is inspired by the film "The Purge" and its sequel "The Purge: Anarchy", I will take examples and "results" from the films. In the second movie it is said unemployment is at 1%. This is caused by low income people being killed during the Purge. Bad? Yes. Low income people should not be dying. However, this is a plausible result. Many people would kill the homeless and illegals and such during the Purge, which is tragic but could have a positive effect on society. This could also happen thanks to low income gangs and such "taking each other out" during the Purge.

That brings me to my next argument: reduction of gang violence. Thousands of gangs exist across the United States, and their wars against one another bring economic and social distress to the areas that they are in. Assuming there was one night a year where all crime is legal, these gangs would probably not have battles against one another during the regular year, but rather have a larger battle during the Purge.

Now, if you would be worried about people going around killing the poor, don't worry. Most people, in the films and in my predictions for real life, stay indoors. They do not have an active involvement in the Purge. Just because law is gone doesn't mean morals are. As for those who participate, most of them want to kill those that had personal effects on their lives. Though the first movie depicts a world of murder and chaos that all partake in, the second shows that it is not as common a practice. I am just trying to make the point that it probably would lower unemployment, as well as population, but it isn't like all of the poor would die.

For those who don't believe in violence, how would the Purge be a good thing? The Purge means fewer people sentenced to death. It means not having a mass shooting every day in the United States. It means that we have one night of chaos, and the rest of the year is peace. It isn't like there are mass terrorist attacks happening and politicians being assassinated: that's all still against the law according to "The Purge". It is just one twelve hour period where the government trusts society to regulate itself. And who knows? Maybe there wouldn't even be that much crime. Maybe we can trust in humanity after all.
LeprechaunDances

Con

LeprechaunDances forfeited this round.
Gruenenfelder

Pro

My opponent forfeited the last round, so there isn't much to rebut here. However, I wanted to put a formal conclusion to try to convince those who are still against the Purge that it is a good idea.

As hopefully most of you can see, the Purge will reduce overall crime, decrease population and unemployment, and give society a release. Though many conclude that the Purge is a satire of government and talking about what a bad idea the Purge would be, I believe it would be a great idea. In Round One, he even considered the possibility of it being a good idea.

Since I have already made most of my arguments, I will now look to evidence from sociologist Lester Andrist (http://uk.complex.com...). He believes the Purge is a good idea, but not very likely. He believes it would give humanity a much needed release.

To conclude in a relatively short way, the Purge would bring down big government in a way that conservatives agree with and liberals agree with. This doesn't mean violence would necessarily fill the streets: drugs, guns, and other controversial topics are all legal during the Purge. This means both political parties should agree with one another.

God bless the New Founding Fathers. Happy Halloween everyone!
LeprechaunDances

Con

LeprechaunDances forfeited this round.
Posted by Alfalfa 1 year ago
Alfalfa
A purge would be a good way to stop crime expect for one day a year/month. Even though there would be more damage done but the crime rate would go way down.
Posted by blamebeauty 1 year ago
blamebeauty
The purge has it's pros and cons. It could reduce the crime over a certain time period because you would do it all in one night. In addition, a purge night is where even more damage could happen which is 3x greater worst. It all depends how it all happens.