younesmsc2014
mulledymsc2014

Is the SAT/ACT necessary or unnecessary?

younesmsc2014

Con

Any student is capable to read a book and study it, then repeat the answers on a test but not all students are motivated to be the best in everything they do. I am a very confident person. If someone tells me that something is impossible, I make it my goal to prove them wrong. I believe the only limit in this world is you. I am very capable of doing anything because when I want something, nothing will stop me from achieving it. I am not the best test taker there is; I get anxious, shaking and nervous which affects my overall score but it does not mean I am not intelligent.
mulledymsc2014

Pro

The SATs are necessary because it tests you on what you already know. The SAT tests the reading, writing and math skills that you have learned in school over the years. Also, if you get a good score on the SATs you have a better chance of receiving scholarships. Your SAT scores show your academic strengths. A high SAT score shows that you are a good college candidate.
younesmsc2014

Con

Why do we test every student with the same standardize test, when we claim we are all different and unique? I believe standardized test do not accurately show the abilities of a student. I know many students who excel in all of their classes but do not have a well-rounded personality. In my opinion, to be successful in life you must be a hard worker to become the best in everything you do but at the same time have a great educational background.
mulledymsc2014

Pro

The SAT shows if you are being challenged in school or not. If a student has all As in school but does poorly on the SAT, it shows that the school they attend is not very challenging. If a student has moderate grades and receives a high SAT score, it shows that they are being challenged in school and that they are capable to achieve the standards of a general test made for everyone.
younesmsc2014

Con

I know students who struggle in school but when it comes to things outside of the classroom, for example fixing a flat tire or changing the oil in a car, they can accomplish these tasks undoubtedly. Some of the most successful people in the world were not the best students but worked hard to be where they are today. I believe that a letter grade or a score on the SAT makes less then half of a person.
mulledymsc2014

Pro

mulledymsc2014 forfeited this round.
younesmsc2014

Con

If you want to be successful in life, it"s not just going to happen; you have to go make it happen. I believe that if you are lazy and lack confidence, you will not be successful in life. The SAT doesn't show the type of person you actually are and what your capable of doing outside a long test.I am very capable of doing anything because when I want to accomplish something, nothing will stop me from achieving it. I may not be the best in my school, but I assure you I can be the best at everything I do if I set my mind to it. If I work hard, I can become the successful person I hope to be.
mulledymsc2014

Pro

The SAT is a good measure of a student's performance and what skills they may need to work on. SAT scores can also distinguish the students who excel in the classroom and the students who struggle. This will help to show how well the students are prepared for college level classes. These tests show no favoritism and are the same for every student on the same test day.
younesmsc2014

Con

younesmsc2014 forfeited this round.
mulledymsc2014

Pro

mulledymsc2014 forfeited this round.
Posted by younesmsc2014 3 years ago
younesmsc2014
I believe we both had very strong points of view. We both had good reasons and defend our own side of the argument. I believe this was a tie because no opinion is ever right and I do also believe now that its helpful but just not completely.
Posted by ssingh0247 3 years ago
ssingh0247
Well it's all up too the student if they want to go to a university straight after high school because that is what it's for.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
younesmsc2014mulledymsc2014Tied
Reasons for voting decision: neither side used any sources and had miniscule arguments that consisted entirely of their own opinion and both ended up forfeiting multiple wounds. I give no points to either side