Rim
kbub

Is the US right in imposing Democracy open Middle-eastern countries?

kbub

Rim

Con

In most Middle-eastern countries, the idea of Democracy is wrong in their religion/ and or government. I believe that any individual wanting democracy should go to a country with democracy, rather then having a world super power, such as the US impose a government on that country.
Instead of assimilating a whole country into a different form of government, we should set up polices to help any individual wanting to live in a democratic country.
kbub

Pro

Per Debate.org tradition, I use this first round to accept the debate.
Rim

Con

Rim forfeited this round.
kbub

Pro

Con forfeited the first round, and doesn't seem to have logged in since. Unfortunately the debate seems to have been abandoned, which I find disappointing as I was looking forward to a great debate.

-----

Rebuttals

Islam and democracy
My opponent fails to demonstrate that Islam is incompatible with democracy. In fact there are many examples of democracy and Islam coexisting, especially after the Arab Spring. Here's a list: [1]. According to Professor Oliver Roy, Islam and democracy are "increasingly independent" [2].

Furthermore, as an article by the New Hungarian University Department of Mediterranean and Eastern Studies notes, it is important to distinguish Islam as a religion and as a political ideology. The author of the articles also points out that:

"Today, Islam is not a homogeneous whole. It embraces many local traditions, cultures, and concepts that possess their own dynamics and respond in a different way to social and political changes." [3]

My opponent portrays Muslims as being united in opposing democracy, which is a highly inaccurate picture that fails to account for the diversity of culture and belief systems within the Muslim world. Through my opponent's sweeping generalizations, the 40 Muslim democratic political parties [2] that I listed and the many more individuals who support democracy and are Muslim are overlooked.

US policy
The question posited by the resolution concerns whether or not the US imposing democracy in Middle Eastern countries is right. Thus, the subject of the debate is the setting up democratic governments in Middle Eastern countries. I therefore do not need to defend the specific methodologies used by the United States (such as war), but only the aiding the setup of democratic governments itself.

Currently the US is very bad at engaging in ethical international policies. In a manner reminiscent of colonialism at its worst, the United States picks out their favorite foreign political groups to support, allowing them to essentially dictate the affairs of the Middle East under the guise of "spreading democracy."

The rhetorical of "spreading democracy," especially in terms of the United States' involvement, has been justifiably besmirched since. However, the actual act of helping to establish democracies (the excuse) is not at fault, but instead the United States' neocolonial agenda (the cause) is to blame. Were the United States to peacefully and indiscriminately aid in the transition to a democratic government in certain countries while maintaining political distance in the country's internal affairs, such actions would be quite ethical. In fact, such actions have the potential to reverse the mode of neocolonialism that my opponent has hinted that makes such interference wrong in the first place.

Democracy allows for the autonomy on an individual and political basis. Democracy allows the individuals within a country to help construct their nation as they wish. The democratic country would be able to vote for candidates whose Islamic beliefs intersect with her/his political platform; likewise, the people could also choose a candidate with a secular political platform. Not only would the political ideals of the country maintain their freedom, but they would actually secure their religious freedom and autonomy for the future.

Furthermore, democracies can prevent the foreign coercion. Doing so means that the United States does not merely answer to a dignitary, but to the people (who are much more expensive to bribe). The variability of leadership means that the United States and other powerful nations cannot maintain a continuous political grip on these countries, which would allow them to develop and gain security on their own.

Thus, peacefully (such as through economic, non-military support) aiding in the setting-up and transition to democratic states for countries already pushing for those changes is a good thing, so long as the United States actually tries to set up a democracy and not a puppet state--something that they "try" and fail to do on a regular basis. These sorts of democracies and methodologies would help undermine Western imperialism and promote internal autonomy (including religious).

A last note
Con mentions that the US should help individuals who want to live in a democratic country without changing that individual's native country's government. Is Con proposing a mass exodus? The policy Con is proposing seems vague; I'd appreciate clarification from Con in the next round.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.foreignpolicy.com...
[3] http://studies.aljazeera.net...
Rim

Con

Rim forfeited this round.
kbub

Pro

My opponent refused to clarify her/his case, making it unvotable. Furthermore, my opponent effectively conceded that the debate is about the bringing about of democracy, and not the methodologies involved. My opponent effectively conceded that democracy brings more individual freedom and political autonomy to the Middle East, and also helps fight neo colonialism, thereby bringing structure and long term security to the Middle East. Therefore, the only way to way this debate is in my favor.
Vote Placed by baus 3 years ago
baus
RimkbubTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF with equal S&G and Con was only one to use sources.
Vote Placed by numberwang 3 years ago
numberwang
RimkbubTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff by con