Logan94
Elijahhill97

Is the United States a democracy

Logan94

Logan94

Pro

First Round will just be acceptance, and then standard debate from there
I saw your comment where you said the US wasn't a democracy, and thought it would make a great debate!
Elijahhill97

Con

Thanks for the debate! should be interesting because one could argue it is both but I hope you argue it is a democracy and I will argue the opposite. Thanks again and best of luck!
Logan94

Pro

Sounds great and good luck!

As defined by professor Solt from the University of Iowa a democracy must meet 4 criteria
1) The Country Must Hold Elections
2) The Elections Must Be contested
3) The Contested Elections Must Directly Contribute To Who Holds The Most Important Political Office
4) There Must Be Broad Suffrage

THe United States meets all of these criteria so it is a democracy
Elijahhill97

Con

Elijahhill97 forfeited this round.
Logan94

Pro

I extend my argument that the US is a democracy, and extend everything said in the previous round
Elijahhill97

Con

Would like to apologize for my forfeit. I did not mean to it is the weekend and I am a teenager so I completely forgot to check this debate. My sincere apologies.

Here are the reasons why the U.S. may not be a democracy.
"The Pledge of Allegiance includes the phrase: "and to the republic for which it stands." Is the United States of America a republic? I always thought it was a democracy? What's the difference between the two?"

Here is the definition of Republic.- "a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch."

"The Constitution guarantees to every state a Republican form of government (Art. 4, Sec. 4). No state may join the United States unless it is a Republic. Our Republic is one dedicated to "liberty and justice for all." Minority individual rights are the priority. The people have natural rights instead of civil rights. The people are protected by the Bill of Rights from the majority. One vote in a jury can stop all of the majority from depriving any one of the people of his rights; this would not be so if the United States were a democracy."

"A republic is a form of government in which power resides in the people,[1] and the government is ruled by elected leaders run according to law (from Latin: res publica), rather than inherited or appointed (such as through inheritance or divine mandate). In modern times the definition of a republic is also commonly limited to a government which excludes a monarch. Currently, 135 of the world's 206 sovereign states use the word "republic" as part of their official names."

"A distinct set of definitions for the word republic evolved in the United States. In common parlance, a republic is a state that does not practice direct democracy but rather has a government indirectly controlled by the people. This understanding of the term was originally developed by James Madison, and notably employed in Federalist Paper No. 10. This meaning was widely adopted early in the history of the United States, including in Noah Webster's dictionary of 1828."

"Beyond these basic definitions the word republic has a number of other connotations. W. Paul Adams observes that republic is most often used in the United States as a synonym for state or government, but with more positive connotations than either of those terms. Republicanism is often referred to as the founding ideology of the United States. Traditionally scholars believed this American republicanism was a derivation of the classical liberal ideologies of John Locke and others developed in Europe"

These experts show how the United States does not only fall under these categories but was in a way created as a republic. These show how the U.S. is a Republic with democratic ideologies mixed in with it. It is not a pure democracy which is said to be feared by the founders of our great nation. Thank you.

http://www.1215.org...
http://thisnation.com...
Logan94

Pro

The United States of America is a democratic republic. Yes we are a republic because we fall under the definition: a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
BUT
We are a democracy as well because we have fair contested elections which directly determine who holds the most important political office or offices. Also we have wide suffrage. The United States is both a Democracy and a Republic.

We state that only republics can enter the United States, BECAUSE we support the freedom of individuals, and a democratic state. We do not want non-democratic states in the United States.
"Here is the definition of Republic.- "a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch."" Yes, elections are included in this making it a democracy, as long as the elections and state meet the requirements above which they do for the United States.

The jury evidence has no precedence, also the united states protects the minority against the majority this way which is good.

It does not matter how many states have REpublic in there name, this is about the United States, Also North Korea is actually the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Lack of Pure democracy does not mean it isn't a democracy, only another form of democracy.
We are both a republic and democratic state
Elijahhill97

Con

So there is two ways we can go about this 1. being this ends in a simple tie because well it is not just a democracy nor is it just a republic. 2 I can take credit because the topic is "Is The United States a Democracy" which it is not it is a "democratic republic. " as you stated.

I will honestly be okay with either but I find losing this debate highly improbable since you stated that the United states is a democratic republic. Not a democracy. Thank you.
Logan94

Pro

The resolution is "Is the United States a Democracy"

I have shown that it is a democracy. Just because it is two things does not mean I loose the debate. I win because you have conceded that it is a democracy and a Republic, but all i had to show is that it is a democracy. THe resolution is NOT "Is the United States only a democracy" I have won because i have shown it is a democracy. You were con on the grounds that it is not, and you conceded that it is a democracy and a republic. I win,and i fail to see your logic on how you win.
Elijahhill97

Con

Elijahhill97 forfeited this round.
Posted by Logan94 2 years ago
Logan94
LOLOLOL You don't understand that a democratic state is a democracy!!! LOL It can not get more simple, and also if you have a busy week then don't accept the debate!! This was a very simple complex and you even said in your argument that the US is a democracy! LOL
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
complete disappointment in this debate... mostly because of the short time to post my arguments especially during finals week.

Round 5 conclusion. You yourself stated the united states is not a democracy it is a democratic republic or a constitutional republic which is a gigantic difference between those and a democracy look it up for yourself.

Even if I lose this debate you are not correct sir. The united states is not a democracy
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Logan94Elijahhill97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits plus pro's arguments went unrefuted and shockingly even agreed with.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Logan94Elijahhill97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that the United States is a democracy. Con showed that the United States is a Republic. The two are not mutually exclusive. Pro wins. Conduct to Pro for Con's last round forfeit.