PrivateschoolDem
TahsinUddin

Is the United States of America (pretty much) the main country?

PrivateschoolDem

Pro

You know what I mean. If there was one country to rule them all, would it be the United States? Sure, there are countries more economically advanced, socially advanced, healthy, wealthy, or safe. But America is undoubtedly the most ubiquitous and the most pervasive and the most culturally rich. Does any other country have a larger role in today's global agenda? Are we not the leader of the free world, the hallmark of business and entertainment? Explain why or why not.
TahsinUddin

Con

In my opinion, though America is the leader for many things, it is not the main country. In my opinion, there is no actual "main country". Instead, I believe a group of first-world countries make up what becomes a group of "main countries".

You bring up a great point, There are countries that are

* more economically advanced
* more socially advanced
* healthier
* wealthier
* and safer

than America. In my opinion, how is it possible to declare a country as the "main country" if the country has extremly high racism? If the country has terrible candidates running for president? If there are plenty of countries around the world that are much more safer and much more enjoyed compared to America? If the country is trillions in debt? If about 45% of Americans have some kind of chronic condition (fightchronicdisease.org)? Though America is a country highly on the news that makes many political decisions and movements, there are so many downsides of America that we can't automatically declare it as the main country. However, there are countries such as those in the United Kingdom or in other places in Europe and a few in Asia that, when you combine with America, make up the most commonly mentioned and most successful nations in the world today. These countries would be what I declare the "main countries".

Also, you state that America is the leader of the free world. But my question is, did America always treat immigrants fairly? Throughout the Gilded Age, a time of industrial innovation in America, it ended up being that Chinnese immigrants were harshly discriminated, eventually loosing the right to step foot in America (history.com). If America is so called the "leader of the free world", what do you say about this? What do you say about the discrimination against blacks and Muslims due to the faults of others, as we see in the world today? What do you say about police brutality? How do you declare America the main country with all of this in the world? Therefore, I do not think America is the main country.
PrivateschoolDem

Pro

Thanks for your reply.

America is certainly not the "best" country for all the reasons you mentioned but I still believe it is "chief in size or importance" as is defined by Dictionary.com. Yes, there is a lot of racism as America is a very heterogeneous country, more heterogeneous in fact than any other country in the world which is a source for a lot of the problems you've mentioned. Isn't this one of the reasons America is the main country because of this, our being the landmark for immigration?

Yes we have terrible candidates running for president although I am going to be a little biased in saying that Bernie Sanders is actually pretty honest and Hillary Clinton is pretty smart. However most countries aren't big fans of their political leaders, but this isn't my point. Whose political system, whose presidential campaigns have received more global coverage? If you showed pictures of our candidates to citizens of Europe or China, they could even recognize some of them. I'm not sure this can be said about many of their candidates. Foreign journalists or political anchors/entertainers even come here for work like Piers Morgan, John Oliver, Trevor Noah, or Craig Ferguson (Ok fine they're all from Britain but still). Our political system is interesting and foreign to them, which is another thing. Because we do not use a parliamentary system, we appear more unique.

We are trillions of dollars in debt because we rely so much on manufacturing in third world countries. This is a very big problem but it is reflective of all the enterprise and entrepreneurship of America. The spread of America's private enterprises is too big for its britches and businesses are so big and corrupt that they sacrifice everything for profits. This is all terrible but its what makes America the chief player in the world economy.

We are super unhealthy but we aren't the worst. Perhaps this shows how much easier and lofty our lives are compared to others?

Again, yes, we are very discriminatory and always have been. There was a time when we banned Chinese from entering the US completely. But America was founded on immigration. Our immigration laws were some of the loosest in the world until they weren't. I blame the people but think about why immigrants were coming here in the first place and think about how awkward you would feel when very seemingly strange and exotic people were suddenly outside your door, running business, taking lower wages, inducing crime, taking up more living space (I'm talking about people of all nations btw).There is still resentment for this. There is a long history of racism but there is also a history of civil rights and we've always been the most outspoken about it. America was the birth place of Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr and Lyndon B Johnson and there were other figures along the way. Britain also has their fair share of these people and they did civil rights well too, but with none of the passion. Racism might seem the most obvious in America but that's because nowhere else are differences in race so glaring.

A syndrome which afflicts many Americans is our lack of open-mindedness about other countries, and sometimes our indifference. Yes this is a bad thing, and a poor reflection of many Americans but sometimes you almost can't blame them. America itself is so diverse and different and attractive that I don't blame some Americans for seeing it as an illusion of a different world altogether. There are New York folks and California beach folks and San Francisco techies and New England prepsters and Rednecks and Southern Beaus and Belles, Texans, Portland Hipsters, and Cowboys. Not to mention we have the Alaskans and the Hawaiians. Most countries have one geographical theme, but America has all of them.

America may not be the land of jobs or safety or economic and physical well being, but we are still the land of opportunity.
TahsinUddin

Con

TahsinUddin forfeited this round.
PrivateschoolDem

Pro

PrivateschoolDem forfeited this round.
TahsinUddin

Con

TahsinUddin forfeited this round.
Posted by TahsinUddin 1 year ago
TahsinUddin
I will refute what I didn't find time to after my opponent posts their argument,
Posted by Lukas8 1 year ago
Lukas8
I'd rather like to see Sweden ruling over all countries.