didyouknow
saltzr

Is the assassination of A Dictator justified?

didyouknow has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

didyouknow

Con

Justification of the Assassination of a dictator purely depends upon what kind of a dictator he/she was.

dic"ta"tor
/G2;dikG6;tādər/

noun
1.
a ruler with total power over a country.

A dictator is always stereotyped to be a brutal gruesome and tyrannous ruler like Hitler was but that is not true. A dictator is someone who rules with all power, this dose not mean he or she is necessarily bad. We have all been ledd to believe that dictatorship is inherently bad.

through the course of history there have been good dictators as well.

therefore the assassination of a dictator is not justified.
saltzr

Pro

Sure. Some dictators did good things, as we normally understand the term "good" (think Sulla). But when they violate common norms ensuring group survival, a simple utilitarian argument can justify an attack (think Brutus). Political legitimacy seems to always run in the interests of time-honored convention. When someone departs from convention in a drastic way, there is a strong argument to be made for deposition.
didyouknow

Con

your argument is based on the fact that the dictator took action against the common norm and belief of the people. That in my opinion gives the people all the right to justify the assassinations. Here we are talking about ANY dictator, just because the ruler is caused a dictator does not mean his or her assassination is justified.
saltzr

Pro

Got it, so just defending violence against a "dictator", simpliciter? That's a tougher egg to crack.

Therefore, I think I will ground my argument to Natural Law theory, which states inalienable rights that extend to all persons in at least a political regard. This means that a dictator, just for the sake of who he or she is, would do harm to the equal standing of individuals. In this rationale, the consultative aspect is essential to guard--and legitimates violence against the dictator. We can push back on this grounding, however.
Posted by didyouknow 1 year ago
didyouknow
@capitalistslave then the whole point of the debate is lost. the debate is on the fact that is the assassination of any dicator justified.
Posted by DboPoint 1 year ago
DboPoint
It will be helpful to see soecific examples and rationales for each why not bad
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
Would you be alright with it if I put a condition on this? Such as, can I argue that it is justified so long as the dictator is unwilling to give up power?