Is the bible a reliable source

"Because its written in the bible" cannot be used to confront an atheist. If you use your brain, i believe you can make a worthy opponent. Bible has predictions here and there? Well, I believe that person "x" will not die in a 7 days period. So if he does not, it means i can predict future as good as the bible does. Let the games begin.

So, since you said let the games begin, let us begin.
You are probably sitting in a chair either computer, or couch, or even the bed. When you approached the chair or bed did worry and think about possible falling into the chair because is could not lift you? You either act in fear or faith. None other you act in faith, faith of a chair. If you could then always believe a student desk or office chair you can believe.
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy were written by a man name Moses. Given to Him by God upon Mt.Sinai in the most southern point to the Promised land given to by God to Abraham. God spoke these words to Moses and either if it is true it is true, fabricated by God to set up systems like the Seven Day Week, proper sanitation, and eventually the Gregorian Calendar. Maybe God just couldn't explain science at that time. Real thing is it doesn't matter, we are like ants trying to figure human philosophies. The Bible and all books cannot be either proven false nor true because of theories and assessments and the everlasting word of God.
Most of thee Old Testament is basic Israel history. Think of contexts; when you have no way possible to record video, take photos, send snap chats, record the ex, people had to write. Two ways to have paper throughout the Bible Old & New:
1. Hemp
2. Animal Skin
People of spoke and wrote, The 1st Kingdom and beyond were amazing record keepers (along with Romans that also recorded Jesus' crucifixion) for their own personal history.
* For the record I am not Jewish at all, but they were God's Chosen People, but you could Race. He loved them though and wanted them to be rich and from being loyal and not sinning prophets will come out of them. ex. Jeremiah, Isiah, King Solomon, Ezekiel, Joel, Daniel, Malachi. He was going to send great converters and other great men but the Jews failed so quickly they had to go to Egypt be enslaved then forgiven leaded out by a good man name Moses.
The issue is that I can see God created the way he said and any other theories because it doesn't matter. Scientists just try to figure out the way he did it. They can tell you how but not who did it.
Albert Einstein once said to describe his job " try and figure Gods' thoughts, the rest are details...".
This entail he shows his fear in God that he always maintained through life. Science can also only give us theory of Evolution, Big Bang Theory. One of the closest disciples of Darwin once also said I paraphrase"...I believe in this(Theory of Evolution) only because there is simply nothing else to believe in besides believing in a God, which is ludicrous...".
So basically Evolution is only popular because it was the first idea besides God in Europe? It cannot be tested and never will be proven. The Bible is not worth much in the Old for sources unless you wanted to debate some Old Jewish history that will be true to be honest. The New Testament I'll save it for next round ;)

First, thanks for accepting the debate. You stated that we act either in faith or fear. So what happens if i stand in front of my computer and type? Did i put faith into my legs? Did I fear my legs would be paralized all of a sudden? Answer is none.
You stated that there were no cameras back then so they wrote on stuff like hemp and animal skin. we do know there is the quran written on such material. Yet, you did not chose to believe in it ( by your definition you didnt put your faith in it or perhaps scared of it?). So this prooves that not everything written on an animal skin because there are cameras or not makes them a reliable source.
Given in the bible, "god gives life" is not entirely true as well. Humans can give life. The best proof of that is Dolly the cloned sheep. You may say "but again, who first created that cell which was used in the process?". Yet, can you say the "life" of that cell and life of Dolly are the same?
We do know that is exactly when the church used everything in its power to stop cloning studies ( What were they so afraid of? Of course, human clones. Taking a cell and giving it the real life as we know conflicts with everything in the bible, making the bible nothing but some old book that noone would read again. now, bring that new testament on! ;))

Sir you are blinded. You take the Magna Carta as fact, you take the Roman And Official Jewish records of Jesus of Nazareth's crucifixion as fact. Since almost all atheists acknowledge the fact He was crucified, and there just so happens to be thousands of witnesses of this man, dozens of men wrote Him, dozens of men predicted Him hundreds of years before. You also have this...
Acts: "34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

40 And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ."

The way mathematics work, the way men can discover equations and short cuts with numbers. Our world depends on shapes and numbers, it is very mathematical in nature. The way nature works with multi-ecosystems and how amazing the earth is able to have us. To be alive to be intelligent to be able to have eternal life. Like I said the word of God shall never be disproved and no matter how much it bothers some, Christians will always be here.
Atheists are stubborn in nature: Pascals Wager describes this answer with you cannot succeed happiness and we are meant for this. Our body's are made in God's Image. The amazing way are body can accomplish great mental and labor strides. Lets say Giraffes are intelligent just like us, they have all capabilities like us such as spoken coherent language and the ability to learn more than one. Also to come up with ideas to improve live or solve problems. But they can't play baseball, would they hold it in the mouths or their hoofs?
Animals follow what God has taught them to do. From Bees to Whales they are born ready to be what that animal has to be to survive. They cannot sin or know the difference between good and evil they follow God or their human master. Still they do not understand, they cannot voice opinion only having raw natural emotions like 'I must urinate' or 'I am hungry' . God can command animals if He pleases. Just Imagine Cats and Dogs going to war with one another? Couldn't happen just can even fathom because why God do that?
God also controls the weather hint Mother Nature is actually God. You cannot fully predict the weather, stop the weather, prevent it or survive if He so pleases.

New Testament Time!

Matthew, written by Levi, latter Matthew, Tax collector, Martyr.
Mark, written by Mark, friend of Simon, latter name is Peter, Peter was crucified upside down in Rome.
Luke, written by Luke, Physician and Muck Racker, never met Jesus but through hundreds of witnesses and eventual conversion he found the story of a life time.
John, written by John, Jesus' favorite disciple, same John as Johns latter in the New Testament and Author of Revelation.
Acts, Luke same author as Luke along with Paul of Tarsus.
Romans, Paul of Tarsus.
Hebrews, probably was also written by Matthew because Matthew is the Gospel most suited for a Jewish audience and well the name Hebrews.
Peter has some books as well with John both disciples of Christ.

Why do you not believe these men? These men died horrific deaths and traveled thousands of miles for what a prank? To fool 2 billion souls into believing a fairytale? Maybe it this reason:

"And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation." Mark 8:12 KJV

You just simply choose not to believe in these historical documents documented a persons life and heir after. You have men long before predicting this would happen. You have an astonishing planet and you were the lucky one out of millions of sperm cells to reach the egg, you are not mentally disabled nor probably physically to major extent. You were not born in Modern West Africa nor the dark ages of Europe. You didn't pick your sex, looks, race, nor time, you were appointed to one in His pleasing. And God love us, He gave his only child that never sinned and took the embarrassments and shame and guilt and consequences and hurt feelings of all of our sins has caused. Then not just only a harsh physical death, He suffered three days in Hell then again to rise and walk for 40 days.
The Price of sin is death so he had to been murdered under false pretenses not only but to rise again three days later and now sits at the right hand of the father.

Sir if i am blinded, you are in a coma.
since you stated some sources from bible that appears to be truely happened according to history, let me tell you there are thousands of predictions where bible fails. I cant write them all down because of 10k characters max yet I want you to take a close look at them.
Since there are flaws in the bible, it cannot be taken as a reliable source. Yet it may be taken as a highly perspective history book. Sorry I've made you read what your "father"s didnt want you to find out. You are welcome anyways.

A lot these prophecies are still to come just assuming they are from the Old Testament doesn't mean it hasn't happened yet.
Also a few others have been result from the failing of the Jewish people not going forward with God's plan. It cannot happen if the correct people properly go through also. Also still doesn't detour the fact that Jesus Christ lived and performed miracles, He was the Song of God and you are reluctant to a win - win situation. You become a better human being, find purpose in life, help others and learn to love as well with eternal paradise and happiness. I don't understand why you stay ignorant to these claims.
Assume in your mind for a quick second Jesus is the Christ and God does exist and Christianity is the true faith,want more could come out from this? What else could these authors do to try and tell you the truth? You can either accept the blessing or refuse it and at your own cost.
Christianity is the religion of tolerance, if you want to be Atheist then fine be an atheist. I don't care but worry because odds are you are not a immoral person but somewhat just, we all sin but not to point of being an acknowledged sociopath. Yet even if you are more than a good but a very kind loving person but yet still not accept the truth even though it has been presented to you multiply times, your chances are looking slim, but it is never too late. I pray for all non-believers to hopefully find the narrow path that not many follow.
But as the Bible being a reliable source, yes. It explains Jewish History and key events of their people along with the multiple biographies of Jesus and the following after math of his departure. You can't make the claim that the Bible is reliable because your stating your religion is false.

So you basically say they are not happened yet. What if they never happen? Have you considered the other side of the coin? These assumptions can be made by a 12 year old school kid anyways. "One day this river will dry!". "One day we will all go back to earth we came from"
Pro, i assure you that you will not die before this debate is over. So if you dont, will you accept me as your "god" just because i predicted your future?
That is exactly what bible is about. Making 100000s of assumptions which any human being can make. Some of them come true, most of them DO NOT. As simple as that. Open your eyes now, you are free from your chains.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Love, humans have love, we can share, give, accept, and be together with love. If God didn't exist Love cannot exist. Animals do not have love, sex is an act performed to repopulate and nothing else. We have souls, it is you, you are yourself. I very complex and living thing that goes as his own and follows no other but himself. Verily I say unto you, you must follow God or you are worthless, we must be his sheep. You can me you and you do not Him, but you are not only a sinner and corrupt but a non believer as well. You are against the cross, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall confess. He will guide you through all things done and thought and at the end He ask Jesus and what will he.

If you deny me in front of our friends, I shall deny you in front of my Father.

Nice words. Now let me give you mine:
1 My knees bend for nothing, my free will is so strong, it can make the creator inside your mind, who you fear, disappear,
2 Even if there was an evil it is just as scared as the creator since they refuse to appear,
3 If the creator has all this power to heal, then why is there so much violence, so much tear,
4 Creator has no power, it cant stop people who are selling kids bad drugs and beer,
5 His mysterious ways never work, just like his "words" are useless which were written on a skin of a deer.
For the record i improvised. Anyways, however my own words may make no sense for you ( i admit i am not as popular as jesus was ), yet they do not cross the boundaries with logic, bible telling: some all mighty "creature" who can exist everywhere and nowhere at the same time, has no shape and all the shapes at the same time and who can exist within and outside of time at once would sound much more ridiculous to those who have some sufficient amount logic. Again, if there were no religious books written by some people in the history, who demanded control of everything, you would be locked up deep inside an asylum.

Well there you have it folks,
guess not all are written in the book. I pay thanks to you and wish you the best of peace and mercy be bestowed upon you. You just simply do not believe, you have no faith. While I do have faith.
The Bible as we know as today, did not exist in the physical lifetime of Jesus. The only thing is I have faith in science and God.
I have faith science can find cures, put safety first, oh and of course lower costs. Science either does or does not find these things I ask for. Science can find things and then change. The mass of debris that created and exploded resulting in the big bang was billions of miles, to hundreds of miles, to hundreds of feet, to a minute piece, to a size of the period at the end of this sentence. Science discovers something, worked and figured by MAN. Corrupt, evil, not perfect MAN.
The facts is you cannot misinterpret the basic key points:
Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary. Baptized at 30 in the River Jordan by John the Baptist. Tempted and defeated the Devil in the Dessert. Preached to thousands, feed thousands, healed hundreds, guided billions.
Pleased be art thou those who believe without seeing. We have the proof, if the Catholics did some weird things like 800-1100 before succession broke open but it does not detour the basics. He was Hid only son, and He suffered for you and loves you, and you have nothing else to be salved by but the original christian scientist to lab coat idiots to just all but not they just try to figure out HOW God created not who. Science does not fulfill anything but facts and the things you trust are theory's and hypothesis's. Fact is 212 degrees Fahrenheit boils water, theory is water came from gas/dust 10,000,000,000,000,000 years ago exploded beyond imaginable enacted where things that has to happen because they happen. And yeah stuff happens here because it just basically made itself perfectly. Oh yeah we also all came from a single single celled organism that just somehow appeared in water after billions of years.

A central statement in traditional Christian creeds is that Jesus was crucified "under Pontius Pilate." But the majority of Christians have only the vaguest sense what the phrase represents, and most non-Christians probably can't imagine why it's such an integral part of Christian faith. "Crucified under Pontius Pilate" provides the Jesus story with its most obvious link to larger human history. Pilate was a historical figure, the Roman procurator of Judea; he was referred to in other sources of the time and even mentioned in an inscription found at the site of ancient Caesarea in Israel. Linking Jesus' death with Pilate represents the insistence that Jesus was a real person, not merely a figure of myth or legend.
There are Roman records along with Jewish to show his existence in that case the Bible is a reliable source!
Vote Placed by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: although Pro did not cite any sources, he gave reasons for why the Bible is accurate. He addresses why prophecies were not fulfilled and such. His last point on Pontius Pilate also gave him the win.
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was moderately interesting, but had the potential for far more discussion in depth. I am of the opinion that anyone wishing to debate on religion should do a little reading up on epistemology, so that ways of knowing can be differentiated accordingly. Pro made an interesting argument that when we sit, we have faith that the chair will hold us up. It is actually a belief based on reason, rather than faith, which I think Con could have gone into slightly greater depth on. Con did have good arguments but they were not much better than Pro's. What tipped the scales in his favour was that at one point, Pro started substantiating his claim with the Bible, which was spectacular circular reasoning. Conduct was rather poor (but quite funny) on both sides with the "blinded" and "coma" jibes. Both got on their high horses at the end; Pro became unpleasantly sarcastic and Con insulted the Bible. Both were uncalled for.