TessaVs
DrIVanHopekins

Is the drinking age appropriate (should it be lower, higher, or stay the same)?

TessaVs has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TessaVs

Pro

I think that the drinking age is right at this age. The comas are less then before the drinking age got higher
DrIVanHopekins

Con

Hello, my name is Dr. Ivan Hopekins, and I am a family doctor originally from Alabama, currently residing in Louisiana, and I've been a registered doctor since 1970.

During my years as being a doctor, I have seen a lot of alcoholics at such a young age! People being drained from their poor, sacred lives in the name of alcohol. The fact that such a dangerous drink is accessible to people as young as 21 is beyond me, but the fact of the matter is that is should be raised to at least 27. If you love your children, then you would raise the drinking age.
Posted by hasia786 1 year ago
hasia786
I think the age is not the issue its a human mind and thoughts that should change .They should think about there parents, wife, children and family. Every one knows that drinking alcohol causes damage to there health even though they don't stop drinking .It is all in there hands to save there health or damage it.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
I would've liked it if the doctor listed a source other than himself and his experiences. Because 1) Maybe he's an outlier, and the truth has not yet been witnessed by him, or 2) Maybe he's lying? We don't have evidence supporting his credibility. I don't care for your business card or whatever, but I would like evidence outside of yourself and your peers. And even though you are authority, perhaps 21 is the perfect drinking age. Even authority can be unaware of the truth.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Such as dellomorgan has said, prohibiting young adults from drinking alcoholic beverages will only tempt them to have it even more. Instead, we must teach people to drink in moderation, rather than do as the United States did with prohibition did, where America outlawed the sale and consumption of alcohol and, as a result, led to the distribution of illegally brewed, and potentially dangerous, alcoholic beverages.
Posted by N.Svetlov 1 year ago
N.Svetlov
The reasoning we get alcohol poisoning, addictions, and related issues, is because people aren't taught to drink.
21 is to old. 75 percent don't live with their parents, and don't have any supervision.
How is someone supposed to know the correct way to drink without guidance?
The age should be lowered to 16-17. This gives them an opportunity to drink safely at home under constant watch.

As someone else said, If you want to drink, you will find a way. Why not drink educated?
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 1 year ago
TheUnexaminedLife
I think if the Volstead Act proved anything, it is that if people want to drink regardless of the law and no matter what age, they will drink. I expect most under 21s have drunk alcohol before because they can get from their family, from their social communities and from the streets. The only question is whether we the profit to go to illicit sources or to the government through tax.
Posted by dellomorgan123 1 year ago
dellomorgan123
The issue is that increasing the drinking age won't stop certain young adults from drinking.Just like back in the day when alcohol was illegal people found ways to illegally produce moonshine and people would drink them.What should change is the people and the culture.What's funny is every time we celebrate we turn to alcohol as a form of victory, most not knowing its a depressant.If you can control the amount of alcohol you take in as small amounts its not that bad for you,but if you have an addiction then alcohol is not the problem its the person driving it because ultimately that person has a choice whether to drink or not.