SarahWong
Luxray2854

Is the fashion industry physically harmful to young adults?

Luxray2854
Started: 11/6/2014 Category: Fashion

SarahWong

Con

Is the fashion industry to blame for eating disorders, bullying, lack of self-esteem, self-harm, or even rape? Or do we just blame the industry to hide the truth that we ourselves are to blame for this?
Luxray2854

Pro

SarahWong

Con

Hi, I am doing a school project and need people to give me their opinions on this.
It would be very much appreciated if you could express your opinion taking into consideration the opposing point of view
Thanks
Luxray2854

Pro

If you"re going to want my opinion in it"s entirety (where I mention the opposing viewpoint), you need to rebuttal my arguments.
First off, we should talk about where con says "are we to blame for this." The answer to this is partially yes. Society does play a huge role in this entire debate. But we aren"t all to blame. First I should state my beliefs.

The fashion industry can be blamed for bullying.
The fashion industry can be blamed for eating disorders.
The fashion industry can be blamed for self harm.
The fashion industry can be blamed for low self esteem.
The fashion industry cannot be blamed for rape.

You see, the fashion industry does play a role in all of the things I have said. Let"s look at these one by one.

Part one- Eating disorders.
Eating disorders are a very common thing to see when it comes to fashion. Let"s face it, when you see a model that"s a size zero and looks beautiful, it"s easy to feel bad about yourself. In fact, 70 percent of girls in grades five through 12 said magazine images influence their ideals of a perfect body. 47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

Part two - Bullying/Self Harm/Suicide
These tie in very well with each other, so I chose to put them all together.
There are so many cases of bullying because of the fashion industry, I really don"t even want to list them all. Instead, I give an example and put brief info about it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk... (14 year old female (bullimec) commited suicide because of taunts about her size. Fashion magazines most likely to blame)

Part 3- Low self esteem.
Of course low self esteem happens because of the fashion industry. Here"s a study I found. A national survey released by Women"s Health Victoria last week revealed that a majority of young women feel pressured to be skinny. A shocking 60 per cent of us are feeling so unhappy with our appearance that we"ve resorted to starving ourselves.
I know that"s pretty expected, but 33% of those women blame magazine covers. 33% of women blame their low self esteem on essentially the fashion industry.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://mediamusings.dsc.rmit.edu.au...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
SarahWong

Con

Thank you very much for expressing your views in a well structured response, this has proven very useful for my project. Thanks once again :)
Luxray2854

Pro

You're welcome. If you need anything else just say here. If not, forfeit.
SarahWong

Con

SarahWong forfeited this round.
Luxray2854

Pro

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.
SarahWong

Con

SarahWong forfeited this round.
Luxray2854

Pro

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
SarahWongLuxray2854Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gets the argument win, because Pro's the only one to really present one. While both sides forfeited, Con really shouldn't be using other people to do her homework.