Sk8
socratits

Is the fur trade fair?

Started: 5/17/2014 Category: Economics

Sk8

Con

I know a lot of people might think that this debate is about whether or not it's fair between the humans. Technically that's true. But have you ever thought about the animals? Have you ever thought if it was fair for them. Forget whether or not it's fair for the humans. The animals have a life too.

Most people kill the animals brutally. I'm not talking about beating them up. I'm talking about injecting cyanide, skinning them while they're alive, whacking them on the head and all that stuff. The only easy way to inject euthanasia, but that stuff is $50 to $500 dollars depending on the vet and how much the animal weights. No one is gonna pay that. So they create alternatives. Which are simply inhumane and cruel.

Why can't people just trade fake fur. It looks like real fur, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people own fake fur coats and hats. Real fur coats and hats cost a lot more than fake fur. So why create so much if you know at least 85% of the population in the world won't use it.

And finally, don't even mention the fact that it controls the animal population. Please. There something called a food chain. They always say that the animals can over populate and spread diseases. We're pretty much the ones overpopulating and spreading diseases. We're the ones causing them to go extinct instead of controlling the population. They say that's one of the reasons why they make real fur coats, hats etc. But why are we killing them to the point that they're disappearing.

That wasn't supposed to be the point.
socratits

Pro

I believe that the crux of this debate is about animal rights. It is up to you to decide what constitutes animal rights. Depending on how you steer this issue, it can be very complicated. For this debate, I will let you post your argument on what deems animals to have rights and I will address it accordingly. The topic right now, is not one that we can debate about because you made no argument, just opinions. ***For your consideration, you need to be careful in how you define animal rights. Remember, Humans are omnivores so we eat meat too. With your first paragraph, you are essentially saying that humans should not eat meat. At all.***

I also want to point out that you contradicted yourself in the first paragraph when you asked about what the animal wants and at the last paragraph where you stated the whole food chain theory. Humans, whether you consider us animals or not, are also part of this food chain. In fact, most will agree that Humans are at the top of the food chain. By survival of the fittest then, Biology tells us that we are successful because we can eliminate any animal we want for food.

As for fake vs real fur. This topic is a digression to the whole debate. Normally, I would have dropped this issue, but to show you why this is irrelevant, think about all the different brands of fashion. Why would anyone want to pay $2000 for a Louis Vuitton Bag?? What makes that bag soo much more special than a K-mart bag? Why do we choose one product over the other when they both serve the same function successfully but one is considerably more expensive than the other? It's really down to a matter of preference and power, but alas, I digress.

Anyways state your thesis and you will have my rebuttal.
Sk8

Con

Sk8 forfeited this round.
socratits

Pro

extended.
Sk8

Con

Sk8 forfeited this round.
socratits

Pro

extended.
Sk8

Con

Sk8 forfeited this round.
socratits

Pro

extended.
Posted by Dilara 3 years ago
Dilara
The fur trade is morally wrong