Is the growing population of india a boon or a bane ?
Debate Rounds (3)
- Our population offers us an absolute force of cheap manpower which is a very useful tool for India.
- People turning up of government services have increased significantly which is a very good sign for a country like ours as it would mean more social force.
- Our growing population has resulted in an increase of different options in various fields guaranteeing more jobs.
- India has become a nation of various talents. Larger population means a deeper pool of domestic intelligence which can be used to good effect.
- Larger skilled population means a natural inclination of foreign companies to offer us newer projects and yes we can do them more cost effectively.
- Larger population can be a big asset in labour based manufacturing units which can make us a big exporter of hand made goods - every hand can become an earning hand for the country.
A growing population would be bane for not only India, but also for the rest of the world. Let me explain why.
1. India is too tiny to handle such a high population. If the United States of America has resource issues even with all of this land, I am pretty sure that India will suffer worse resource issues.
2. A rising population equals lower sanitation. Take the United State's industrial age. During that time period, millions of immigrants were moving to America for a better life. This meant that areas with increasing populations had to be full of tenements to support these people. In the tenements there were poor living conditions.
3. You say that a growing population is good, but what will happen when these people that are constantly being born are too old to work? Read one of the articles in my sources for more info.
4. Welfare would be improved if population growth was shorter.
5. India may become desperate for resources. (This may not happen however) If India needed more resources for a rising population, they may start trying to expand their land. Take what Japan did for example during World War 2. They did not take land because of a rising population, but they were using their war forces to expand. What makes you think that with could not happen with India? India could easily take Nepal, or Sir Lanka.
6. Once India's population reaches the point in which it's too bad, the Indian may panic and pass laws to control population growth such as what China did.
Please cite your sources too and good luck! :-)
India"s population is a boon as it would result in high income which would in turn result in higher savings, clear indicators of economical growth.
Ok. The first statement that you seem to be saying that India's population increase will result in economic growth. If India's population increase will help the economy then why isn't it happening now? I can easily find several sources on the Internet including the OECD that tell me that their economy isn't going up from their population increase and their economic growth has been the lowest in the past decade.
OECD- Organization for Economic Cooperation and development. Source: Dictionary.com
Don't believe me? Click the links below...
Now down to your second reason which was that half of India's population is under 25. The source that I found basically states under positives and under negatives what I think which is for example as states in my source that the younger population has to rely on just a few parents to raise them and the fact that the parents have to spend so much money to raise them which could lead to either poorer families, or demands for higher pay. This would also mean that the education system would have to get have to get higher spending to help teach so many youngsters. This could also bring me back to what I talked about in the starting of the debate that talked about what would happen when these people are old. I have to admit that this was a good point that you brought up even though you did not find a source, I did find that what you said was true. This is a hard thing to decide because it has it's cons and pros. I would say that this is something that neither me or you could determine if this is good or bad.
Please show your sources. It's really annoying when people don't show their sources and please don't repeat what you said. Good luck again. :-)
Afshan forfeited this round.
No votes have been placed for this debate.