FagicMellow
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Is the iOS platform a disgrace to gaming in general?

LDPOFODebATeR0328
Started: 6/25/2014 Category: Games

FagicMellow

Pro

Hey, I just feel like arguing about this subject, why iOS is very disgraceful. And it really is, but I would like to just say that whoever accepts the challange of arguing with me, good luck and have fun. I will allow my opponent to start the argument first! :D
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Salutations, spectators of this debate.

First, I'd like to start off with my definitions.
According to Oxford Dictionaries, disgrace is defined as shockingly unacceptable.
iOS is a mobile operating system developed by Apple Inc.
Platform means a raised level surface on which people or things can stand. Since my opponent was being vague about the topic, I assume that raised level surface is what platform means. (This is the mainly used definition of platform.)
My opponent didn't bring up any definitions during his previous speech. Thus, the definitions cannot be changed by my opponent.

Moving on.

C1: This resolution cannot be upheld.

Subpoint A: The resolution doesn't make any sense.

My opponent was being vague about the topic.
Basically, the topic is: Is Apple's operating system for mobile devices raised level surface (?) shockingly unacceptable to gaming in general?
If the judges agree that this resolution doesn't make any sense, you ought to vote for the negative because of my opponent's lack of conduct.

Also my opponent claims that the raised level surface is a disgrace to gaming in general. My opponent's claim is invalid because raised level surface is completely irrelevant to gaming.

Subpoint B: My opponent's claim is an opinion (If my opponent meant that iOS games are horrible.)

The iOS platform isn't a disgrace to gaming, unless everyone in the world agrees with this. Countless people in the world implement their iPhones, iPads, and iPods as their portable gaming devices. Many people enjoy playing games on their i-Devices. For example, Clash of Clans. Many people enjoy Clash of Clans. In fact, there are currently 837,910 reviews in the app store for this game. Clash of Clans has a total of 4.5 stars out of 5. 4.5/5 is equivalent to 90%. This means that majority of these reviewers enjoy playing games like Clash of Clans. Also, Apple's App Store claims that recently they reached 50 billionth download. This means that many people like to download games and other apps from the app store.

Also, gaming on the iOS platform isn't actually a disgrace to gaming. In fact, like I said before, people usually enjoy playing iOS games. This is because are several types of genre in the app store. This makes it so that all types of people can enjoy iOS games.

Conclusion:

My Opponent loses the point on conduct because he was being extremely vague about this topic. Also, my opponent must refute against both of my subpoints. Other wise, the argument is dropped.

So for all these reasons, please vote for the negative side of this debate.

Source:
https://www.apple.com...
FagicMellow

Pro

Ok, I'm sorry, the title wasn't well explained, I apologise. By 'disgrace', I am just over exaggerating, I was just saying it in a 'dramatic' way. And platform is just another way of saying 'Console' or 'Gaming-system'. (Ex. The Xbox platform {Console} has lots of...) Now that we got that out of the way, lets me explain myself as to why I think that iOS is a 'disgrace' (again, over exaggeration) to gaming.

Note - I am not saying the gameplay, story etc. (of games on iOS) is bad or anything like that, that is an opinion. But I mean how games on the app store work. I will respect you if you like the gameplay and how games play, but I hate the way that each game is set up to make you pay to play, how premium currency is used etc.

Free-to-Play
Most Free-to-Play (FTP) on iOS are relatively fun. There is different genres to play and enjoy by everyone. I myself enjoy a handful of games on the app store. There are some fantastic games and some horrible ones. But sometimes (actually, most games on the app store have this issue), there are some games that take away your fun by simply telling you 'Hey, why don't you spend some money so you can cheat to win.'. Clash of Clans allows you to buy gems, but the thing is that the games allows you to earn enough gems that there is no need to buy any, which is great since then you basically have a choice on how you want to play. By ether spending money or without spending money, so it is fair since it isn't not telling you to buy gems, it's just giving you the choice to do so (this is great so the developers can earn money without having to force you to pay so you can have fun). It is rare that games on iOS are fair with the paying model, since most other games on the app store want you to give them money. And that is becoming a problem, sure, one could argue that you don't have to pay for the premium currency in a game, but that is not the point. Games are meant to be about having fun and finding new gaming experiences that you cannot experience in movies or books or anything else. But the iOS platform has so many games are focused more on earning money, rather than how much fun the player is having. I get it, developers need to earn money, but there is so many other ways of doing it.
Sometimes though, developers bribe you to do things and in return they give you gems/gold/whatever premium currency there is. Maybe they tell you to like their facebook page or watch a few advertisements. What the hell is happening to the gaming industry? I fear that soon (since gaming on iOS is getting very popular) these mechanics will go to other consoles and PC games. I hope not.
There is also games that are literally pay-to-play. For instance, the game will allow you to play 5 rounds of a game until it says that you have to wait 30 minutes until you can play another round, unless you want to pay now to keep on playing. WHAT THE ACTUAL F*** IS THIS? I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU SAY, EVERYONE HATES THIS AND THIS IS NOT AN OPINION, IT IS A FACT. WOULD YOU RATHER PLAY THE GAME OR WAIT TO PLAY THE GAME? (Sorry, this mechanic just pisses me off the most) It is literally a disgrace to force you to pay to play or to wait to play more. Look at Injustice: Gods Among Us, that game is so fun on iOS, and then it added this stupid mechanics that ruins the game completely. You could say that people don't mind this mechanic, but at my school, everyone always finds a glitch to surpass these problems, like maybe skipping the time on your iDevice. And if people are so desprate that they have to find a glitch to continue, then your game is straight up broken. Sure, the reviews for this game (actually, most reviews on the app store) is 5 stars and 4 stars, but no one takes the time to fully analyse the game and give it a score, people just do 'This game is pretty fun,' (after playing 30 minutes), 'everyone should get it!' 5 stars.
It is almost impossible to find a good Free-to-Play game on the app store that doesn't want to drain your wallet of your money. This is just one of the reasons that iOS is disgraceful (I am exaggerating again) to gaming in general, but this is only half of the reason of why it's disgraceful, there is also games that you pay for.

Games that you pay for
There are some fantastic ones like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (a bit pricy for iOS, but it is a near perfect PC port). Some really cheap, but fun little games to pass the time on. But now the problem is again, paying for currency. I would understand paupying for currency on a FTP game, but for games that you have already payed for? I bought the game, let me enjoy it without any of that bulls*** again, but no, even games that you pay for are doing this now. Games like Ganster Vegas, Modern Combat 4 and N.O.V.A. 3 do this and they cost $7 each. That is pretty expensive for iOS and they still let you pay for currency even though you payed for the game. These games are some of the most popular and best (for console copies of big titles for iOS at least) games for 'hardcore' gamers to play on iOS and they have this problem too? But this isn't the only problem Nova and Modern Combat have, these two game also have the added bonus of the game crashing every hour or so, or even diconecting you from a game continuosly. Yay, crashes, just what I wanted after I payed $7 for this game. It wouldn't be a problem if they were trying to fix the crashes, but I haven't seen an update for these two games for a year. And it isn't only these two games that do this. Plenty other games do this and it is plain wrong. It is like doesn't care if the player has fun, as long as the developers earn money.

These are the reason why iOS as a gaming platform is bad. I am not saying that iOS is bad as a whole, but the games are just plain bad. Not bad as in gameplay, but bad because of its ways of ruining your experiences by ether making you not enjoy it because of its forceful push to buy ingame credits, or just to simply like their Facebook page. Why do they do this, because they want your money. Gaming isn't about how much money developers can earn, gaming is about the different experiences that you can't find anywhere else.

(Sorry for not answering any quicker, lately the holidays have started and I have been playing a poopload of Borderlands 2 with my friend, and i completely forgot about this debate.)
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Thanks for the response.

Before I proceed, I'd to mention that the resolution cannot be changed. It is still, "Is the iOS platform a disgrace to gaming in general?"

Now refuting against your arguments.

1.) "Ok, I'm sorry, the title wasn't well explained, I apologise. By 'disgrace,' I am just over exaggerating."

Thanks for apologizing. Unfortunately, the resolution cannot be changed.

2.) "I am not saying the gameplay, story(,) etc. (of games on iOS) is bad or anything like that, that is an opinion."

Thanks for agreeing with me. Once again, the resolution cannot be changed, and you proved it yourself that iOS games are not a disgrace to gaming in general.

3.) "...I hate the way that each game is set up to make you pay to play, how premium currency is used etc."

I have 2 refutations against this argument.

-Well, aren't all games like that? For example, Maplestory is a famous MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). It makes it so that some game items cost real money. This is one of Nexon's (Maplestory's Game Company) method of earning money. Additionally, Microsoft makes it so that you have to pay $60 in order to play online for a year (Xbox Live). Another example is Valve (Game Company). How do they earn money from Team Fortress 2 (TF2)? Although it is "Free-to-Play," in order to get superior weapons, you have to buy weapons (with real money) or you have to find them (difficult to discover). As you can see many other games make you "pay-to-play" as well.

-Many games are free in app store, and buying items (from games) with real money is not neccessary. For example, Clash of Clans. Although it allows you to buy gems with real currency, the fact is most players do not spend money on gems. It is the player's decision to buy gems or not. Just because these "Free-to-Play" games (iOS) sell these "items" with real currency, doesn't necessarily mean that they are a disgrace to gaming in general.

4.) "Most Free-to-Play (FTP) on iOS are relatively fun. There is (are) different genres to play and enjoy by everyone. I(,) myself(,) enjoy a handful of games on the app store."

Once again, thanks for agreeing with me. The resolution cannot be changed, and it states: "Is the iOS platfore a disgrace to gaming in general?" You, as the affirmative, failed to prove how the iOS games are bad in general. In fact, you actually agreed with me by saying that App Store games are fun.

5.) "But sometimes (actually, most games on the app store have this issue), there are some games that take away your fun by simply telling you(,) 'Hey, why don't you spend some money so you can cheat to win. (?)'"

This happens in other games as well. Like I said, Maplestory and TF2 (PC Games) allow and "tempt" you to buy superior weapons with real money.

6.) "But the iOS platform has so many games are focused more on earning money, rather than how much fun the player is having. I get it, developers need to earn money, but there is so many other ways of doing it."

Judge(s), this argument is not credible because he does not have any source along with his evidence. This is merely a claim.

7.) "Sometimes though, developers bribe you to do things and in return they give you gems/gold/whatever premium currency there is."

My opponent shows no impact in this argument. This bribe is "free." How is this bad?

8.) "There is (are) also games that are literally pay-to-play. For instance, the game will allow you to play 5 rounds of a game until it says that you have to wait 30 minutes until you can play another round, unless you want to pay now to keep on playing."

First of all, there are no examples for this argument, so this argument is invalid. (We don't know if there are actual games like that.)
Second, let's ASSUME that there are literal pay-to-play games like this. Just because these types of games exist, doesn't mean that iOS games are bad in GENERAL.

9.) "It is almost impossible to find a good Free-to-Play game on the app store that doesn't want to drain your wallet of your money."

Well, like you mentioned, Clash of Clans is a good "Free-to-Play" game. Additionally, games from PC also want to "drain money out of your wallet" such as TF2 and Maplestory.

10.) "There are some fantastic ones like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (a bit pricy for iOS, but it is a near perfect PC port)."

Once again, thanks for agreeing with me. You proved how "fantastic" iOS games are.

11.) "Games like Ganster Vegas, Modern Combat 4 and N.O.V.A. 3 do this and they cost $7 each. That is pretty expensive for iOS and they still let you pay for currency even though you payed for the game."

Let's compare these $7 iOS games with $60 PS4 and Xbox games. All the new Xbox and PS4 games cost $60. When "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" comes out, it is going to cost $60 (which is clearly more pricey than Modern Combat 4).

12.) "But this isn't the only problem Nova and Modern Combat have, these two game also have the added bonus of the game crashing every hour or so, or even diconecting you from a game continuosly."

My opponent brings up no solid evidence to support his claim. Thus, his argument is not credible.

13.) "I am not saying that iOS is bad as a whole, but the games are just plain bad."

This sentence contradicts itself.

14.) "
Not bad as in gameplay, but bad because of its ways of ruining your experiences by ether making you not enjoy it because of its forceful push to buy ingame credits, or just to simply like their Facebook page."

You just proved it yourself that iOS games are "not bad as in gameplay." This shows that they are not a disgrace to gaming in general.

15.) "(Sorry for not answering any quicker, lately the holidays have started and I have been playing a poopload of Borderlands 2 with my friend, and i completely forgot about this debate.)"

Good. (Borderlands 2 cost more than all iOS games)

Conclusion:

My opponent dropped all of my arguments, which means that he agrees with me.
Additionally, he failed to support the resolution because he agrees that the gameplays of iOS games are pretty decent.
For all these reasons please vote for the Negative side of this debate. Thank you.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
-http://www.bestbuy.com...

Borderlands 2
-http://www.bestbuy.com...
FagicMellow

Pro

FagicMellow forfeited this round.
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Extend all my arguments, my opponent forfeited. Vote Con.
FagicMellow

Pro

FagicMellow forfeited this round.
LDPOFODebATeR0328

Con

Once again, my opponent forfeited. Vote Con.
Posted by iOS 2 years ago
iOS
How dare you say that I am a disgrace.
Posted by FagicMellow 2 years ago
FagicMellow
I apologise, my internet was getting fixed, so I didn't have enough time to respond. My apologies, I will respond as soon as I am not busy.
Posted by LDPOFODebATeR0328 2 years ago
LDPOFODebATeR0328
Sorry for the distorted words. Something is wrong with my Macbook.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
FagicMellowLDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
FagicMellowLDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
FagicMellowLDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
FagicMellowLDPOFODebATeR0328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.