luciahendricks
Brenden_levata

Is the internet, e.g. social media having a negative influence on the English Language?

luciahendricks

Pro

I am currently doing coursework about the English Language and whether or not technology, the social media and the internet is having a positive or negative influence on the language. It would be amazing to hear what you guys think! Thank you!
Brenden_levata

Con

I Don't think that social media has a negative or a positive affect on the English language. I think its in between because it is easy to type short forms on a computer or cell phone Ect, But with spell check available it makes it easier to use proper grammar. Also social media has game and learning activities that can help with proper grammar and spelling so this can be argued both ways. Thanks what i have to say and good luck.
luciahendricks

Pro

I see what you are saying but many people think that the internet is destroying the beauty of the English Language. I think that because of the change in the language as a result of the internet, it will affect future generations and their children as it will be harder for them to understand.
Brenden_levata

Con

Brenden_levata forfeited this round.
luciahendricks

Pro

luciahendricks forfeited this round.
Brenden_levata

Con

Brenden_levata forfeited this round.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
What is a 'negative' influence? The English language changes over time. You'd have to formulate a set of criteria with which to decide which changes should be considered negative.
Posted by bpoudyal 2 years ago
bpoudyal
Well, the internet does have some negative influence on the english language, however, to say that social media has a negative influence on the english language we need to compare the negative influences with the positive ones......and then, looking at the overall influence of the internet on english language we need to see if the negatives outweigh the positives....which will then resolve the case!
So....let is see the negative ones first:
(1) Internet promotes use of shortcut language , e.g : brb
(2) internet destroys spellings , e.g ur
(3) ppl dont care about grammar................and so on which basically means that the writing is very informal and not proper english ,, which: destroys the beauty of the language, might influence bad language usage and habits..........
(4) since things spread so quickly through the net , bad usage of language such as spelling errors might be quickly picked on by others....
Now we need to see how much this is influencing real life english. In my opinion, there's not been much impact........
But look at the ways in which it is contributing to the language i.e positive influences:
(1) Ebooks, emagazines, enewspapers, blogs......which promote literature and creative writing
(2) dictionary for help
(3) Online language help/tutorials/tests
(4) So many other resources (e.g youtube videos) to help you improve your english!
(5) since so much of internet usage requires proper knowledge of this language, it is encouraging ppl to learn this language
.......and many more things that are promoting the basic written, oral as well as literary aspects of the language. And these influences are actually creating more impact!
So the positive influences clearly outweigh the negatives both in terms of quantity and the degree of impact. So the conclusion is: The internet is not having a negative influence on the english language as the positives clearly outweigh the negative ones
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
I am neutral. I mean, there are a lot of people out there that are degrading their social ability and their key skills such as critical thinking. On the other hand, we can simply type in a few words, move the mouse, and then we have a motherlode of information.
Posted by luciahendricks 2 years ago
luciahendricks
Yes it is for a college course. Would like to hear what side you agree most with!
The-Voice-of-Truth
I take it this is for a college course?
The-Voice-of-Truth
I could argue this from both sides, but I will choose not to.