JudgeSchreber
Agonist

Is the law presented for societal betterment?

JudgeSchreber has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

JudgeSchreber

Con

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I'd like to argue against the law, or offering the law as a means of legal commensuration. Saw your name (the Agonist) and figured I'd be interested in what your defense of the State would be like (I'm ready to go up against Wingenbach, but anything else should be fascinating). So: feel free to start in your first speech. I'll negate it. Hopefully everyone's okay with philosophical debate, especially concerning power structures. No new args in the last two speeches, other than that, no holds barred. Just defend -
Resolved: the legal system is offered for societal betterment
or something similar.

Iet's see what happens
Agonist

Pro

For the first round, I would simply like to offer some concise proposals as to definitions and a brief outline of my argument so as to help frame the debate.

Resolved: legal systems provide a net benefit for human society.

A legal system, being any manner of codified consequences for specific behavior, serves to promote the well-being of human society. If we believe that the primary goal of society is the general utility of the members of society, then a sufficiently well-constructed legal system will always provide better service to this purpose than the absence of any legal system.

As long as we believe that certain human behaviors serve societies, while other behaviors are deleterious, than law is beneficial. The law is a structure within and upon which both positive and negative behaviors can be described and either incentivized or disincentivized. Legal consequences thus serve to promote behavior that helps society while reducing harmful behavior.

I leave my initial argument broad as I do not have expert knowledge on the subject. I invite my opponent to broaden or shrink the scope of the debate or propose alternate definitions to terms as they see fit.