Prodigenius
Nyx999

Is the meaning of life to die?

Nyx999

Prodigenius

Pro

All will become clear when you remove the mist from your eyes.
Nyx999

Con

I like this argument, I think it's very interesting. :) Ok, so I DON'T think the meaning of life is to die, scientifically speaking, the meaning of life is to have sex (or procreate in SOME way) and THEN die, but not before you have sex, so scientifically speaking, procreation is the meaning of life. Lots of different religions have different meanings of life, for Christianity it is to spread the Good Word and convert everybody to Christianity while you carry out God's work, and for Wiccans it is to live in harmony with your fellow man and the earth. (Or at least that's how I see it.) Personally, I think there is no meaning of life, that we are all just an erratic burst of energy in an otherwise cold world. (And while we're here we might as well make the world a better place by living in harmony with our fellow man and the earth.)
Prodigenius

Pro

Some forms of life, such as ligers and mules as well as some humans and other creatures are not able to reproduce because they weren't born with fully functional sex organs.

These wouldn't meet my opponent's meaning of life but all would have finite organs and thus all apply to mine.
Nyx999

Con

Well actually, there is a type of jellyfish that can revert to its polyp stage even after it is all grown up, so it can basically revert to a younger version of itself, and if it is not eaten by predators or taken down by disease, hypothetically, it can live forever by growing up, and then reverting to a younger version of itself, and etc. (Turritopsis nutricula) So, I think that refutes your argument. (And this jellyfish isn't a cross between two completely different animals, mules and ligers aren't natural animals [not that I don't love them]) My point is that you can find exceptions to every rule, that's what makes life so complex and awesome. :)
Prodigenius

Pro

The meaning of life doesn't require every living being to apply to it as some things may one day truly live literally forever.

HOWEVER...

The meaning of them being alive, of existing at all, the one universal thing they all can find any absolute truth or purpose in is in the knowledge that they are one day going to end or come closer to it than they are now.

This is why, when faced with what is perceivable as close to death as one can come whilst remaining alive (such as at gunpoint) many finally find enlightenment of some kind (such as on a hospital bed after a potentially fatal accident) and say they 'saw the light'. What they really saw was the reality of life, it is all made for that one point: the death. Regardless of if we reach it, all being have the potential to reach it (vampires and zombies are undead and do not count as a live so inb4 any immortal bollocks comes my way).

Anyway... It is also important to note that if you don't die, you would truly be left with no reason to want to live in the first place. Just think about what I said and you would understand.

The reason our species originally procreated wasn't because we knew we'd have a kid by it, it was because for some weird and messed up reason we got this funny sensation of pleasure out of it and, since we realised the people around us were dying, we were very desperate to get pleasure at some point before we died.

So, the reproduction argument that you raised, can be re-routed to death.

The reason people bothered to even begin questioning things like philosophy, thus creating religion as a result, is because we wanted to know if it was possible to carry on AFTER death, in an AFTER life. Again, there is not one religion which has a morality that doesn't revolve around what could happen to you in the afterlife.

So, religion can be re-routed to death.

The meaning of life is to die. All other false meanings of life appear as such due to the fact that we will( or at least CAN die).

It is also the one defining attribute of any and all life forms. Even that jellyfish CAN die. However, not all forms of life can follow religion nor can they reproduce due to either mental or physical oddities.
Nyx999

Con

The reason a lot of people find enlightenment just when their life is about to end is because they see the error of their ways during life, and they want to correct those errors so that when they die they will have lived a full life. They don't live just to die, they live in SPITE of dying, they live their lives even when they know that their lives are inevitably going to end, and that at the end of the day (or millenia) their deeds probably won't matter and their legacy will be ground in the dust, they live, accomplishing new goals, building new dreams, living life, in spite of death and the end that is going to come. Everything you worked for won't matter when the sun eventually engulfs the Earth (or when humans decimate the planet so completely that it is inhabitable anymore) and yet, you keep on doing it. (And for the record, in a couple of millenia, te only legacy that you would have that could keep on living would be your descendants.)
And the reason our species procreated wasn't because we knew we'd feel good, it was because we had the innate urge to do it. My dog is neutered, and it's the strangest thing, but whenever we bring over my cousin's dog while she's in heat (she's a girl and she's not spayed) they have sex. They don't do it because it feels good, my dog runs himself to the point of exhaustion, he humps her until he eventually drags himself to the cold bathroom floor and tries to rest, just to lock. And once they do lock, they don't do anything else. As soon as they lock, (as soon as my dog's semen would go inside of my cousin's dog) they just sort of stand there awkwardly, waiting until they unlock. They don't do it for pleasure, if it was for pleasure they would keep having sex even after they lock, they do it because they have an innate desire to procreate, a desire that stays in my dog (who was neutered when he was 2 months old) and in my cousin's dog because evolution has pounded that desire into him. He has never seen another dog having sex, and even without his balls he knew how to do it. That just amazes me, and I realize that scientifically speaking, the meaning of life is sex. (or any type of procreation since there are some organisms that produce asexually.)
And it is true, people have this obsession with finding out what comes after death, but that's because people don't like to picture themselves just gone, they like to think that some part of themselves remain. And some people who see the injustice in life make places that we go after death like Heaven and Hell that judge us, so justice is finally served as soon as we die, because they can't grasp how unfair life is. It is true, there is no one religion that has a morality that doesn't revolve aroudn what could happen to you in the afterlife, but that's just human curiosity, nothing more. And besides, what your religion says is the meaning of life isn't necessarily the meaning of life. I like to view religion as a way people try to understand the universe, and something to hold on to in times of need or trouble. The hope religion brings has saved millions of lives, and I think that that is brilliant and amazing, I am definitely not against religion, but I don't think you can base the meaning of life on religion considering religion is solely a human thing, and life is for all living things. A human's meaning of life could be based off of religion, but this is just meaning of life. (And everything from protozoa to humans has life)
Everything CAN die, but everything alive can also reproduce, so, just because everything alive can die doesn't mean that dying is the meaning of life.
Posted by Nyx999 4 years ago
Nyx999
I guess I wasn't reading carefully enough.
Posted by Nyx999 4 years ago
Nyx999
Ugh, I'm sorry I overlooked that.
Posted by Prodigenius 4 years ago
Prodigenius
" but everything alive can also reproduce"

As I said mules and ligers cannot and also infertile humans cannot.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
Meaning can be a subjective term. What do YOU mean by it?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
ProdigeniusNyx999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for unsportsmanlike behavior, delaying definitions until the final round (round 3), and only making a case to attempt reaching BoP in that round (given how common forfeits are, that's a great way to try to seem like you scared someone off, when it's by chance). S&G: I did prefer the formatting of pro's case, but it wasn't enough for the point. Arguments: "Everything CAN die, but everything alive can also reproduce, so, just because everything alive can die doesn't mean that dying is the meaning of life." I just agreed with this too much, in addition to not being moved to begin with by pro's conclusion (or argument). Sources: Those would have been nice.
Vote Placed by Marauder 4 years ago
Marauder
ProdigeniusNyx999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro really should have started with all his round 3 arguments in round 1. because he did not it damaged his entire debate. His opponent set the terms of what arguments were contented round 1 and 2 and Pro did not get around to posting his actual intended case for the debate until the final round, at which point Con also destroyed and refuted effectively.