Is the modern, international fur trade fair?

Started: 5/20/2014 Category: Economics

This is not exactly a debate. I'm doing a project/debate on the topic listed above at school. I'm on the opposition side for the actual debate. I'm having trouble thinking of arguments for this topic. Could anyone help? You don't have to give me a physical argument, if you find a website that might apply, you can post that in the comments or accept the debate. Please help! It would be greatly appreciated!

The modern international fur trade is far from fair.

Fair: "marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism" [1]

Fur is a commodity obtained by forcibly removing the outer organs from animals, effectively killing them. All of these animals are imprisoned and slaughtered for another animals' (humans') economic gain. The trading of bodies is slavery. The confinement of bodies in tight spaces forcibly and against their will for long periods is imprisonment. The slaughter of those bodies and minds is killing.

The animals who are killed, imprisoned and enslaved committed no crime other than being born. They are fully conscious of their environment and their masters'/executioners' cruelty. The trade is obviously entirely structured on self interest (vanity, greed), prejudice (against different bodies), and favoritism (for one species' wealth at the expense of the others' life/freedom). This trade is VERY unfair.

Posted by LunaLoutre 2 years ago
Fur trade is currently the epitome of human mass cruelty. Few people know of it, few truly care and few motivate themselves to do anything about this. To me, at least, It reminds me vaguely of a man seventy years ago, in some country in Europe.
Posted by Sk8 2 years ago
No, that was just a practice argument. I kind of wanted to see what socra would say so that I could create possible rebuttals for my debate. This topic is a non debate
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
Wait, I thought you were talking about a non debate. Was I right, or are you referring to your debate with socra...
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
Humans are animals. They are making a profit on the enslavement of others. That's like asking how slavery is bad for white people. It is completely irrelevant. If your opponent insists on looking only at humans, then your opponent is being anthropocentric, which is the root cause of factory farms, deforestation, pollution, and global warming.

They might say indigenous populations engage in fur trade. That doesn't hurt your case. The indigenous populations are also participating in an unfair trade.
Posted by Sk8 2 years ago
Besides animals, what about humans? Your argument does help my group, but I kind of need an argument for why is isn't fair between the people.
Posted by Sk8 2 years ago
But I just need to discuss with my group our research and ideas. My complete research and work is due on the day of debate. Well, after the debate.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
If you're on the Pro side, you can say it is fair, but wrong. You can say that society's understanding of fair is so messed up historically (colonialism, slavery being "fair") and in the modern context (meat and "fair trade") that even obvious inequality is considered "fair." Thus, although the fur trade fits the messed-up notion of fair, it is still evil.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
This is very famous, and should help:
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
How's that?
Posted by Sk8 2 years ago
Yeah, but I can change it when I find something new.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Good luck, Sk8