timC
Taylor.Gregory

Is the new iPhone 5s innovative or not?

Taylor.Gregory

timC

Con

First of all I have to say that I'm not a apple hater...
For example I have a air, a iPhone 4s and a iPad and be very happy with these products.
But as the new iPhone 5s came out, I was a disappointed because:

Apple stands under a big pressure (after the time from steve jobs) and has to released something which is more innovative and shows that they are still number 1 (in innovative products) on the smartphone market...

Now came out the iPhone 5s, which has a very fast processor (better than the concurrents) and with a fingerprint reader...
But is this enough?

I think not because: a fingerprint was there before apple came (Motorola 2011), so it is not so innovative as it on the first view seemed.

Although normally with every new iPhone the apple stock gets higher, but this time it has crashed.

Anyway apple will has succes with this iPhone, but on the long run they have to be more innovative otherwise apple will not longer be a name for innovative products.
And on the long run the hype around apple products will die...
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

While I understand your viewpoint, I think that you've come to expect a lot out more out of Apple to justify innovation.

I feel that a lot of the innovation in the newest iPhone, while it isn't as massive as a leap form say the 4 to 4s, but it still shows signs of development.

Using the fingerprint scanner as an example, while there were fingerprint scanners on phones in previous years (Motorola ATRIX ), they weren't as well developed and refined as the scanner within the iPhone's home button. The implication of the fingerprint scanner and how well it's integrated into the system as a whole. The ability to use a fingerprint scan to not only unlock one's phone but also make app and iTunes purchases would be quite awesome to many average consumers and gives them a feeling uniqueness to them.

Using the iPad to counter the "Someone did it first and it wasn't awesome then" kind of argument, tablets had been in the works and existed for a few years before the iPad, but never had they been made in such a way that they were easy to use, somewhat affordable, and convenient package. Apple did the same thing with the iPod and iPhone, they improved the concept of an mp3 player and smartphone respectively, and created something the masses swarmed after. I feel, that while the fingerprint scanner may not be as big of a perfection as the iPod, iPhone, or iPad, it's a perfection that pushes forward none the less and is the idea behind innovation.

The cpu is what does it for me, while I still won't get an iPhone simply because it has a cpu with a 64 bit architecture, it again pushes the standards of smartphones in terms of power and performance up (Samsung announced that it would have 64 bit processors in it's next generation of devices within days of the iPhone 5s announcement ). While I doubt there will be any real world improvement (perhaps with the exception of games and video editing) with the 64 bit platform in a mobile yet, when mobile operating systems become more powerful in themselves and are possible replacements for traditional desktop os on low end hardware, (and when phones and tablets start showing up with more than 4 gigs of RAM) 64 bit will be a game changer, and thankfully Apple's pushing other OEMs to move forward in that respect.

In regards to the stock price fall, I think that might have had more to do with the 5c than the 5s.
timC

Con

timC forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
timC

Con

timC forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
Posted by Leo_Ascendent 3 years ago
Leo_Ascendent
Can't vote, but if I were able, Con would get the vote (even though I dislike iPhone's) simply because he put up a fight.
Posted by anonymouse 3 years ago
anonymouse
all apple products are overated. you can get something similar for half the price anywhere anytime
Vote Placed by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
timCTaylor.GregoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: I gave Pro arguments because he seemed so knowledgeable about the topic, and very articulate.