Is the price of college worth it?

College education is not worth the price, time, or effort.

I believe that the Department of Education should be abolished, that the cost of education was caused by the Federal Government to prop up the education sector, that college degrees have decreased in value and will continue to do so. Students have been lied to and tricked into believing that education is the sure fire way to secure a position in society and that this sham should be discontinued immediately.

Let's see, what can you do without a formal education... be a lawn mower? Garbage man? What can you do with a college degree? Almost anything, and you'll be paying off those student loans in no time! College is worth it, and you'll be glad you aren't on the streets begging for money later in life.

Based on your argument and with the premise that you are equating a formal education to college as that is the top of the this particular debate.

No college = Lawn mower
College = Anything you could dream of

I can assure you right now that if you were to graduate college today, that you have a higher chance of becoming a lawn mower than whatever it was you were thinking you were going to become the day you walked onto that campus.

A career insight survey by AfterCollege shows that in 2015, only 14% of college seniors have jobs lined up for them after college. In 2014, that same survey found that only 17% of college graduates were actually working in their field of study and the majority of the 83% percent who were not working in their field of study were in low-paying service sector jobs.

Event with this staggering percentage of students who do not work in their field, still 52% of all of them still believe that college had adequately prepared them for the working world, despite many of those 52% not working in the jobs that had originally wished to be educated for.

Those numbers alone along with statement made by the Pro-College stance by 18-year-old hjhuwei, show a failure in the mentality of the current education system.

There was a time when college meant that dreams were possible, but it wasn't the college itself, it was both the individual and their willingness to be educated. College wasn't a requirement to be involved in society, nor a prerequisite for a career. People who went to college had the drive and motivation to make a change to learn to do something they wanted to do. So they worked so that they could pay for it because they wanted it that badly.

The politicians and the previous generation convinced us because it worked for some, it must work for all. And they made a horrible mistake by doing so. Sadly, some are still doing it today. Instead, they have created a form of academic inflation, forcing positions that once went to non-high school graduates to go to high school graduates. High school grads now need to be Bachelor's. Bachelor's now need Masters and so forth. At some point, we will run out runway and we won't have another degree to obtain above that. All the while, these students have accumulated in total $1 Trillion worth of debts moving into a society where they cannot obtain jobs.

In believing the above as truth, they created the Department of Education to not help kids go to school. But to help them finance it. Giving 18 year olds with no credit history, no job, a low percentage loan so that they could pay the school for education. The kids didn't care what the school charged because the government was going to temporarily foot the bill anyways so there was no negotiation on price destroying the supply and demand cycle and boosting the price of tuition. The colleges could charge whatever they wanted and the students would pay. The government didn't help in any way aside from organizing and passing out the debt. This exact same procedure could be seen in the Housing Bubble / Financial Crisis of 06-08 and the NASDAQ Bubble of 99/2000. Cheap money means increased prices.

Now, kids aren't going to college because they want to be something defined. The majority of people in college enter college not knowing what they want to be or changing their mind somewhere in the process. We are asking our 17 and 18 year olds what they want to be for their lives all the while charging them $10-25k a year while they are figuring it out. Wouldn't it make more sense to send them off the work place where they can gain experience, while trying out different careers, while actually getting paid? Instead, we convinced them it is impossible without college and they need to take on this enormous debt in order to be anybody. It is ethically, morally, and financially incorrect. The government and the people have destroyed the education system and now have left a huge burden on the students and the people.

A person in the 1950's used to be able to pay for college, as well as his car, his apartment, his fuel, etc. He could have worked at the local grocery store. He wouldn't have the greatest life at the time, but he would be working really hard to be able to get to where he wanted to go. He left college without debt, experience as a grocery supervisor now that he had moved up in his place of employment, and an opportunity to head into the world with enough expenses for a few months while he figured things out.

Here in the 2000's. Students have the option to not work while going to school, because the loans will pay for their tuition and their housing in addition to all the money they want to spend for fun. They have no career planned while they are going to school or the future. They party too much, study too little. Work in an environment where colleges have dropped standards to cycle students out. Where you can obtain 30% for a passing grade in a college physics class, justifying nothing about your education when you graduate. And with the majority of other grads, will more likely be out there mowing lawns rather than working in the field that you chose when you were 18 years old.

End the Department of Education and the Federal Student Loan Program and what will happen? Colleges can't build the fancy libraries or build gigantic stadiums. Schools can't charge 10k+ a year for students to go to school anymore because no 18 year old would be able to afford it. Less students would have degrees, thus changing the tide of academic inflation in this country. Prices would go down. The focus on actual education would increase. We would lower overall debt and the success of people would actually be reliant on their decisions without being boggled down with a "mortgage" with no "house".

It makes zero sense that in an age where the cost of communications with one another have decreased to such a minor amount. That I can communicate with others via the internet all around the world at a coffee shop in the Bay Area to share ideas and values. That despite the increase in affordability of information online, computers, and electronics, that we have an increase in price of tuition year after year. If you truly trace down the cause of the problem, it is 100% completely the cause of the Federal Government intervening in the college education system, by the pleas of politicians and "adults" who did not know better.

I beg of the world for your sake, to stop falling for this trap. I assure you it will only get worse. We live in broken times and college is only used to delay the inevitable.

I will tell you about myself. I went to college. I received a degree in Biology. I wanted to be a doctor when I was 5 years old. I got my degree with $32k in debt and knew I would have needed to take more to become a doctor. I was 23 when I gradated for my BS. I didn't want to become a doctor anymore despite a decision I made when I was 5 years old.

From there,I learned to program online for free without a computer science degree. I sold my tech products and services to 9 different clients in my first year without a marketing degree. I run my business, day to day, without a business degree. I make well over twice the median income of the United States of America. None of my clients have ever asked to see my degree. They asked me if I could do the job. I always said yes and doors opened for me that I never imagined.

My biggest regret? Falling for the college trap and bearing the burden of this debt along with the other millions of students out there. If you are young and have the opportunity. Start thinking for yourself and don't follow what politicians who only care about the next election thinks. It's time we pave our own path.

I look forward to a rebuttal.

hjhuwei forfeited this round.

Mike.Nguyen forfeited this round.

hjhuwei forfeited this round.
Posted by Mike.Nguyen 8 months ago
I apologize, I have some typos.

-college as that is the *topic* of the this particular debate
-*Even* with this staggering percentage of students

Perhaps a few others. My apologies again.