Epifer
Bjarke_Havardr

Is the school's education system corrupted?

Epifer

Pro

Call me ignorant, but I think there are a lot of things we learn about in school we really don't need to know about. Sure at least one or ten people may want to know the height of a building or the distance of a plane from an airport, but do we really need to know? And there was one time in English class where I was put in a group and we all had to take this test. But before we could take the test, we of course had to study for the test. Guess what? About 88% of my group didn't know nearly every single question. Every single question! So tell me: should our schools make a different approach with educating our students? Or should we keep the system, and continue on, whether many of the students (and maybe teachers) might like it or not, with no changes at all?
Bjarke_Havardr

Con

Nothing in life will ever be perfect, and the American School System is not free from this rule. I can think of a few things off the top of my head that could be changed, least of all the teachers pay being dependant on SOL scores, but over all it is a sound system.
You are right, much of what you learn you will never need to use, ever. For example, why would you want to know the parts of a microscope? How could that possibly serve you in life? Of course, it probably won't. When we were taught the parts of a microscope, it wasn't the center of attention. The lesson was intended to be used as a stepping stone for when later in the year they are used, we have some general idea of what we are doing. That's what made it useful. Not the knowledge of the scope itself, but the learning experiences it brought later down the road.
We are taught things such as how milk is spoiled, not because it really matters in day to day life, but because it is small information like that that keeps us from regressing to a civilization where we believe sprites turn milk bad if you don't give enough offerings. You think it wouldn't matter if we taught the Earth was round and revolved around the sun, but 1 in 4 Americans believe the opposite, mainly due to poor education! (http://news.discovery.com...) What an embarrassment to America, who harbours such as them.
I used to think that the Pythagorean Theorem would never be useful, but I use it almost every day now. Most of my old classmates won't, but I am. With the current 'linear teaching style' in place, "useless" things such as that need to be taught for the few of us who will use it.
If you truly want to go to classes where everything is geared to exactly the professions you want to go into, wait until college. That's what it's there for.
Epifer

Pro

Epifer forfeited this round.
Epifer

Pro

Epifer forfeited this round.
Bjarke_Havardr

Con

Bjarke_Havardr forfeited this round.
Epifer

Pro

Epifer forfeited this round.
Bjarke_Havardr

Con

Bjarke_Havardr forfeited this round.
Posted by Dr.1up 1 year ago
Dr.1up
Yes, they do actually.
Posted by holtgirl13 1 year ago
holtgirl13
They don't teach religion in school anymore. i;m so mad.