Hunter611
2-D

Is the unborn human?

2-D

Hunter611

Pro

First round is for con (not human) to lay out his/her argument. At the moment of conception, and if it's not can we kill it?
2-D

Con

I will pretty much just use this round for acceptance. I didn’t realize that there were 48 hour rounds on this debate.

At conception we are talking about a single cell that, at this early stage, expresses only maternally derived genes [1]. A process has started that will likely fail due to natural causes. Only about one third of conceived eggs successfully develop. At this stage the emryo has no features that distinguish humans from other animals: rational thought, self-awareness, four limbs, five digits etc.

Noun 1. human being - any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage [2]

[1] http://med.stanford.edu...

[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Hunter611

Pro

Hunter611 forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Well, I won’t fault Pro for the forfeit and would welcome his return to the discussion. This was a difficult time for a debate over the holidays and I probably shouldn’t have accepted. I will only add a little bit to my argument but it is an interesting topic and I should have time to add more round 3.

How are humans distinctly valuable when compared to other animals?

We value humans over other animals because of our ability to be self-aware and value our own lives. Our advanced degree of consciousness determines the value and makes us uniquely human. While an advanced fetus may have some version of consciousness a zygote most certainly does not.

While most agree that the consciousness has some value and that other animals should not be treated cruelly, few would advocate any moral responsibility toward insects and other non-conscious forms of life. At conception there is no possibility of any form of consciousness.

Collections of human cells, in and of themselves, are not what we mean when we are referring to a human. There is a case against late term abortions and I understand this debate as the brain of a fetus develops at later stages of a pregnancy and many states have various restrictions at different stages throughout the pregnancy [3].

The issues raised are not at all relevant at the moment of conception. These include questions over a fetus’s ability to feel pain or to achieve some form of conscious thought.

A fertilized egg may eventually be a human

This is a stronger argument against abortion that is the underlying issue of this debate. Again, this is not relevant because the question is whether or not a zygote is itself a human.

Other issues:

-Fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are often disposed of and are not considered human in the legal sense.

-The sperm and egg are also living cells and also represent potential humans. Life is not created and initially exists for a long period as a dependent collection of cells and as an extension of the mother.

Well, that’s my quick argument for the day. Hopefully we can get the discussion going next round.

[3] http://www.guttmacher.org...

Hunter611

Pro

Hunter611 forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Arguments extended.
Hunter611

Pro

Hunter611 forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Arguments extended.
Hunter611

Pro

Sorry sir, but I had to take an unexpected leave of absence from debate.com and could not access the debate. Would you like to start a new one?
2-D

Con

Sure, we could try a similar debate, this is an interesting issue. At conception few outside the religious community, imo, would claim that the blastocyst is as valuable as a human and I would prefer a debate around that issue. The cell is obviously a human (adj.) cell but is clearly not what we value about a human (noun) unless you believe in souls. There is a respectable debate over what point a fetus becomes human and I would like to see abortions avoided during third term especially as you approach viability.

The resolution that interests me would be something along the lines of, "at the moment of conception all rights and value attributed to humans should apply." I would be Con and even argue that it deserves no rights and does not have anywhere near the value we give accredit to humans. This clarifies why this is an important issue and avoids semantics.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
DudeStop
Great debate!
Posted by Stirling 2 years ago
Stirling
If it is not living then we will not be killing it. If it is living and an offspring of a human then it is killing
Posted by Hunter611 2 years ago
Hunter611
2-d conception. Torque dork, if so can we kill it? Does it not have a right to live. Infinite color, yes an unborn child
Posted by 2-D 2 years ago
2-D
How far along is the pregnancy?
Posted by Nerd_in_a_Trenchcoat 2 years ago
Nerd_in_a_Trenchcoat
I can't tell if you're talking about the horror movie or abortion.
Posted by TorqueDork 2 years ago
TorqueDork
There's no denying they are human.
Sentient on the other hand...
Posted by InfiniteColor 2 years ago
InfiniteColor
What do you mean by the "unborn"? fetus inside the womb are you talking about?
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
STALIN
Hunter6112-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Hunter6112-DTied