Is the universe infinite?

"No other question has ever moved so profoundly the spirit of man, no other idea has so fruitfully stimulated his intellect; yet no other concept stands in greater need of clarification than that of the infinite," says David Hilbert. Is the universe infinite? For the first billion years, the expansion of the universe slowed down. Eight billion years ago, its expansion accelerated. If this keeps up, the expansion of the universe will never slow down or recollapse. If the universe is constantly expanding, it fits the requirements of an infinite number ( to go on forever). I believe the universe is infinite because it is constantly expanding, its flat shape, and the fact that we cannot see beyond our observable universe.

I believe that the universe is infinite because it is constantly expanding. This means that the universe is limitless in the amount of space it takes up. In 1915, Albert Einstein developed his theory of General Relativity, to which it was then applied to the whole universe. The theory predicts that either the universe is expanding or contracting. Well, Edwin Hubble measured the velocities of many galaxies and found that nearly all of the galaxies are moving away from us. About 10,000 years ago, Kapteyn"s Star was 7 light years away. It is now 13 light years away.

My second reason for stating that the universe is infinite is because of its shape. Astronomers have identified the universe as being flat. An expanding universe corresponds to a flat one. A flat universe just means that the parallel lines always run parallel, meaning that at no given point do they intersect. and that the angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees. The two dimensional equivalent to that is a plane, which is infinite in all given directions.

My final reason for stating that the universe is infinite is because there is no possible way to explore beyond the observable universe. Sure, some may state that it is finite, but if its constantly expanding, how can we say that. There is no guarantee that the universe may stop expanding, and if it doesn"t, it"ll end in what is known as the Big Freeze. The Big Freeze is the result of an ever expanding universe. We live in an open universe, so there will be no reversal of its expansion, otherwise creating the Big Crunch. Saying that the universe is finite without being able to see beyond what it actually is is very simple minded.

In conclusion, the universe is infinite because it is constantly expanding, its plane shape, and the fact that we cannot see beyond our observable universe. The universe is capable of expanding to an infinite size, and infinite objects continue on forever, just as that of the number pi. Its current size is not finite, because it will keep reaching greater sizes. It won"t stay that size forever. "Studies have shown that 90% of error in thinking is due to error in perception. If you can change your perception, you can change your emotion and this can lead to new ideas.
-Edward de Bono

I thank Pro for instigating this debate, & I accept the challenge.

- Universe: all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos [*].

- Infinite: limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate [*].

- The burden of proof is shared, as per the format of the resolution.

- First round is for acceptance, I’ll move into my opening argument & rebuttals next round.

[*] Google Dictionary.

Best of luck.

LeCorbusier forfeited this round.

- Due to limitations in time, I’ll postpone my case till next round. Sorry :)

LeCorbusier forfeited this round.

- It should be noted that Pro’s case is entirely bare assertion, as he provides no sources to support his claim.

- Nonetheless, to carry my BOP, I shall argue against Pro’s affirmative case, that is against the statement: “the Universe is infinite”.

- My position isn’t a negation of Pro’s affirmative position, it is merely a contrasting position. That is, the Universe is not necessarily infinite or finite, as we do not really know which is the case.

- To prove my case, here is Prof. Joseph Silk, Head of Astrophysics, Department of Physics, University of Oxford, in an interview with ESTC (European Space Technology Centre) [*], clearly stating the fact that the decree on wether the Universe is finite or infinite (in the physical sense) has yet to be reached:

ESA: Is the Universe finite or infinite?

Joseph Silk: We don't know. The expanding Universe theory says that the Universe could expand forever [that corresponds to a 'flat' Universe]. And that is probably the model of the Universe that we feel closest to now. But it could also be finite, because it could be that the Universe has a very large volume now, but finite, and that that volume will increase, so only in the infinite future will it actually be infinite.

ESA: It sounds like a game of words, is it?

Joseph Silk: No. We do not know whether the Universe is finite or not. To give you an example, imagine the geometry of the Universe in two dimensions as a plane. It is flat, and a plane is normally infinite. But you can take a sheet of paper [an 'infinite' sheet of paper] and you can roll it up and make a cylinder, and you can roll the cylinder again and make a torus [like the shape of a doughnut]. The surface of the torus is also spatially flat, but it is finite. So you have two possibilities for a flat Universe: one infinite, like a plane, and one finite, like a torus, which is also flat.

- Pro has failed to provide any support for his case, thus all of it may be dismissed as bare assertion fallacy.

- Pro has clearly failed in carrying his BOP, as he did not provide any reason/source to compel us to believe what he says. In contrast, I provided a clear statement from a renown astronomer supporting precisely my case. That is, the Universe is not necessarily infinite or finite, as we do not really know which is the case.

=> Vote Con.

Posted by Genghis_Khan 1 year ago
lol debates like these are just exercises in semantics.
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
If the universe is expanding, that means there is space that it has not taken up, thus it is not infinite.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. Con backed his argument with sources while Pro failed to back his case.