knightj
Trueredneckuser

Is the use of torture and inhuman treatment ever justifiable?

Trueredneckuser

knightj

Pro

Some people don't think that torture should ever be justified. Yet I can't see why. If a terrorist has planted a bomb, the police doesn't know where it is, and it will go off shortly, surely they should use torture there? By using torture, you are saving thousands of people, from dying. The thing is, you aren't even killing the person who you are torturing. By using torture you are making sure that no one dies. How does that make torture not acceptable?

I am looking for someone who thinks that torture and inhuman treatment is never acceptable. It will be interesting to see your reasoning. I look forward to this debate. Thank you.
Trueredneckuser

Con

The whole torture method just doesn't work out. What if the person your torturing has no idea what you are talking about. I don't see how you can torture someone who is unwillingly comprehending with your questions. You would have to be pretty messed up in the head to follow thorough with that and not know if he/she does not know what you are talking about. I do see how you would do anything to get the answers to save some people but how would you like to be accused and tortured for something that you might or might not have done.
knightj

Pro

Firstly, thank you for accepting the debate.

The situation that I have portrayed is one where you know for certain, and have firm evidence that the person whom you are torturing knows where the bomb is. Surely it is justifiable to put someone through pain in order to find the bomb?
Trueredneckuser

Con

You portrayed a situation of another human being tortured. That's it. I agree and disagree. You should do something to save people but torture just isn't one of them. The debate comes down to what you do to others is what you do to yourself. Would you like to be torqued by some Iraqi saying thers a bomb about to go off and while he's saying that your getting beaten senseless. Torture is practically terrorist control.
knightj

Pro

It doesn't matter who the person who is being tortured is. If he has planted a bomb, that is about to go off, then they NEED to be tortured for the sake of other people's lives. I would torture any terrorist for the information that I need, who ever it is.

Thanks and good luck in the voting period.
Trueredneckuser

Con

There you just said it! You would torture anybody. That's the uncivilized manner that people just conduct in a time of need.

Your welcome,just needed a good debate.
Vote Placed by jdtroughton 3 years ago
jdtroughton
knightjTrueredneckuserTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's my emotional preference, and it wasn't swayed.
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
knightjTrueredneckuserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I stand with Pro on this topic, but I have to say, Con won. First of all, Pro did not initially clarify that the situation he/she is portraying is one where you know for certain, but wanted to clarify in the next round, when Con has already accepted and started the debate. Therefore Pro loses points in conduct. Pro also was not very convincing in his/her arguments, mainly because of the use of the word "inhuman". It does not make your argument convincing if you tie such words as "inhuman" with "acceptable." Also, Con brought up the point of how torturers might be torturing the wrong people or torturing people for things they haven't done. Pro did not refute this.