Debater1346
wesley106

Is the voting age fine where it is?

Debater1346

Pro

The voting age needs to stay where it is because if we lower it, we would have people who know nothing about politics deciding who our next leader is. If a 14 year old votes, they could be pressured to vote for a specific person.
wesley106

Con

The age of a person has no restriction based on maturity nor does the government consider if the person voting could be persuaded or not. It is a basic American right that once you turn 18 you are allowed to vote, there is no changing this unless you want to change the entire constitution. Adults may be influenced to change their vote as well as kids may be influenced to change their vote or simply be influenced to vote for a certain candidate. Your age has nothing to do with the way you think about things, it simply deals with peer pressure. Peer pressue comes in all ages, not just in children.
Debater1346

Pro

I respectfully disagree. I believe that peer pressure with voting happens more commonly with younger people who know nothing about politics. And second, it is a basic right that you get when you are 18 and I agree that that should stay where it is.
wesley106

Con

Peer pressure has no age limit and surely I would suppose happens with adults. Adults are the ones getting out there and voting, meaning they're more likely to be controlled because not all adults have self control and go with their own choices. You state younger people know nothing about politics, yet today's education system (even though in the United States isn't up to par) offers college classes on politics and how to choose wisely. Some younger people just have the knowledge and common sense on how to vote.
Debater1346

Pro

I think that an older adult, such as a 40 year-old would not succumb to peer pressure with voting as a 16 year-old would. I agree though with the fact that some younger people are capable of voting, but there are those bad apples out there that would ruin it for everybody. Those bad apples would destroy the system.
wesley106

Con

If bad apples would destroy the system and ruin it for all adults, that would have been done 15 years ago! Adults are much more vulnerable to peer pressure in my opinion because adults are more just go with it, kids want what they want and try to get it. I rest my case. The voting age should be flexible and could be flexible, we just do not want it to be flexible.
Posted by Reformist 1 year ago
Reformist
When I was 14 I had more reasons to vote than a lot of the adults around me

While I focused on the fact that Obama had gotten us out of the recession and the fact that hes lowered unemployment and the deficit republicans around me moaned about Benghazi and the fact hes black

If you want to vote before 18 I think you should pass a test though because 13-17 year olds can be stupid too
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
The privilege of voting needs to be limited to married males who own land.